ADVERTISEMENT

Would O'Connell transfer?

Jan 3, 2015
If he ends up getting 3rd or 4th on the depth chart would he transfer? He now has an audition tape against some good talent that would entice a lot of head coaches to want him. Also props to the coaching staff for having 3 ready quarterbacks. You always hear coaches say that the back up is always ready to go, but rarely does it seem true. In our case this year, they were dedinitely all ready to go.

Reactions: boilerdug
Depends on what he wants to do, education wise, and what Sindelar does (IIRC he could come back next year), and who Purdue recruits. If he want to play/start full time he should leave. All props to that kid though, he has moxie you can't teach or coach.

Depends on what he wants to do, education wise, and what Sindelar does (IIRC he could come back next year), and who Purdue recruits. If he want to play/start full time he should leave. All props to that kid though, he has moxie you can't teach or coach.
Yeah it would be tough to watch him leave, I think he has potential to be really really good.

Reactions: DAG10
If he ends up getting 3rd or 4th on the depth chart would he transfer? He now has an audition tape against some good talent that would entice a lot of head coaches to want him. Also props to the coaching staff for having 3 ready quarterbacks. You always hear coaches say that the back up is always ready to go, but rarely does it seem true. In our case this year, they were dedinitely all ready to go.
We need to start by putting him on scholarship, if we really value him.

LOL. He’s not going to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

I think Plummer gets the nod over Sindelar. We've seen the ceiling on Sindelar, imo. Either way O'Connell is the odd man out
If Sindelar Is healthy he is our best quarterback. He would be A NFL quarterback if it wasn't for all the injuries. But healthy he is our best option to have a great season Not saying we can't have a great season with the other ones but he is the best when healthy

Reactions: pboiler18
If Sindelar Is healthy he is our best quarterback. He would be A NFL quarterback if it wasn't for all the injuries. But healthy he is our best option to have a great season Not saying we can't have a great season with the other ones but he is the best when healthy
What did OC do that wasn't up to Sindelar's ability? Personally, if I'm running the show he IS my NUMBER 1 next year.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
I can only guess if Sindelar comes back, it will be for his master’s degree. Great young man, but injury bug hits him hard. His body will tell him later on in life how hard the game was on him. I know as I’ve had two knee surgeries and was directly linked to football.
O’Connell should be pencilled in to 1-2 position this Spring. Hope CJB gives him a scholly as he earned it.

I can only guess if Sindelar comes back, it will be for his master’s degree. Great young man, but injury bug hits him hard. His body will tell him later on in life how hard the game was on him. I know as I’ve had two knee surgeries and was directly linked to football.
O’Connell should be pencilled in to 1-2 position this Spring. Hope CJB gives him a scholly as he earned it.
He is already working on his masters.

What is an odd man out on this team? We burned through 4 QBs this year. Few teams can survive with only one capable QB. Even the most stacked teams struggle when they lose a starter (see Alabama). He will be given a shot to start because he's earned it.

Reactions: TheGunner
LOL. He’s not going to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.
It's very possible that he would be. I know we're all singing AOC's praises right now and for good reason, but he beat Nebraska who stinks, Northwestern who stinks worse, and put up gaudy numbers against IU which has a highly questionable defense. I'd say we slow the roll a bit.

If Sindelar comes back and is healthy, he has to be #1. Do we all forget what he did the 1st 2 games?

Reactions: Purdue85
It's very possible that he would be. I know we're all singing AOC's praises right now and for good reason, but he beat Nebraska who stinks, Northwestern who stinks worse, and put up gaudy numbers against IU which has a highly questionable defense. I'd say we slow the roll a bit.

If Sindelar comes back and is healthy, he has to be #1. Do we all forget what he did the 1st 2 games?
Sorry, you can’t fake what Aiden did this year. He has moxie, poise, and a good arm. He made some plays that I’m not sure Plummer could make.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
Sorry, you can’t fake what Aiden did this year. He has moxie, poise, and a good arm. He made some plays that I’m not sure Plummer could make.
You think that was a good arm? Dont get me wrong, he has a lot of the things you should look for, but arm strength isnt one i would attribute to him.

Reactions: 70boiler

Against Nevada and Vandy…...AND throwing to that Rondale guy......
If O'Connell is enrolled for spring semester, then it would seem obvious that he'd be there for Spring football.
Thinking Plummer would be able to do Spring ball as well ??
Sindelar = ???

Would any of those 3 go into fall camp, next year, with a FIRM grasp on #1 ??
All 3 have options, but will any of them bail because they aren't up to COMPETING for #1 in spring AND fall??
Complicated. But getting Hornsby would still be big.

Not that you're asking for an IU fan's view but here's my ranking of your QBs:

1. Sindelar - if healthy, he has an NFL arm and tons of experience. With Moore and Bell, he would put up huge numbers next year if he comes back.
2. AOC - poised in the pocket and generally accurate. Pretty impressive for a guy with no experience until 4 weeks ago.
3. Plummer - moves fairly well and can make throws. Not as poised as AOC and more error prone.

Is he a RS-So? If he is, that puts him in a bad spot. If he transfers and doesn't get immediate eligibility, he's looking at 1 season wherever he ends up.

But it also puts Brohm in a tough spot. Do you use the scholarship on someone you don't necessarily foresee as a regular starter until his senior year, if at all? That's a young team and they're short on scholarships.

Assuming he gets put on scholarship, IMO I'd stay, compete, maybe get a chance to play in 2020, take up residence at the Neon Cactus (if that's still a thing the kids do), and do a grad transfer to play wherever he wants his senior year for immediate eligibility. Unless of course he gets cemented as a starter before his Sr. year for some reason. But then Plummer might leave.

I think its VERY important for Plummer to be healthy and be ready to compete in the spring. If not, I believe the position might be O'Connells going into fall camp. Brohm should wait until end of spring ball to put AC on scholarship, if he's smart. If he doesn't he risks possibility of AC leaving

You think that was a good arm? Dont get me wrong, he has a lot of the things you should look for, but arm strength isnt one i would attribute to him.
Re-watch the 2nd QT (miracle reception) pass to Bell. 35yds on a rope. Ball never got 12' off the ground.

I don't care if he took a hop, skip and a jump. Ball was delivered on target, on time, without hesitation and threaded. The only thing better than the pass was the incredible catch
Yeah, timing and accuracy he has. Not disputing that.

["BTBall, post: 2400819, member: 23388"]Not that you're asking for an IU fan's view but here's my ranking of your QBs:
1. Sindelar - if healthy, he has an NFL arm and tons of experience. With Moore and Bell, he'd put up huge numbers next year.
2. AOC - poised in the pocket and very accurate. Very impressive for a guy with no experience and will deveop into an NFL QB.
3. Plummer - moves very well and make great throws. The experience makes him a potentially awesome QB.

If Sindelar comes back and I was Plummer, I would transfer out and take next year off to recover. He can then chose which MAJOR school to be the #1 QB. He can be their saviour and have an NFL career,

If Sindelar moves on, he and AOC will work together to make each one better. They will then both have a great chance for NFL careers.

People forget Sindelar was leading the nation in passing when he got hurt. AOC is simply amazing.

All three kids will do well with Moore and Bell and I can really root for them as outstanding people and team members.

Reactions: todd brewster
Listen, I love the fact that he delivered when called upon - a helluva game to be sure. But let's see a bigger sample size before declaring him above Sindelar and Plummer in the depth chart.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
I have to agree with the IU guy’s assessment and rank of these three. There isn’t much separating them and I could easily see it going in any order, but I think he was spot on. Whoever it is QB next year will have one of the best receiving corps in the country and an improved o line. With their talents, any of them will be excellent. if I was any one of those three, I would absolutely dedicate the next 10 months to making sure I was that person in that position.

Is he a RS-So? If he is, that puts him in a bad spot. If he transfers and doesn't get immediate eligibility, he's looking at 1 season wherever he ends up.

But it also puts Brohm in a tough spot. Do you use the scholarship on someone you don't necessarily foresee as a regular starter until his senior year, if at all? That's a young team and they're short on scholarships.

Assuming he gets put on scholarship, IMO I'd stay, compete, maybe get a chance to play in 2020, take up residence at the Neon Cactus (if that's still a thing the kids do), and do a grad transfer to play wherever he wants his senior year for immediate eligibility. Unless of course he gets cemented as a starter before his Sr. year for some reason. But then Plummer might leave.
Someone posted that walkons can transfer and play immediately if given a full scholarship by the new school. Don’t know if that’s true or not.

Why does Sindelar have to be #1? If I've got a player who is going to help me for the next 2-3 years who played as well as OC did this year, Sindelar can be a back up because I'm going with the guy who's bringing the most to the table. One or two of the current QB's on the roster will not be here next year. AOC has to be #1, Plummer #2, and Sindlar #3.

ADVERTISEMENT