ADVERTISEMENT

Woodward Book

Thing about Woodward is that he doesn't exaggerate or puff up stories to fit a narrative. And his biggest asset...people like being part of Woodward books and are willing to talk to him. That doesnt mean nobody fed him some lines that are dubious, but he reports what he is told accurately.

This isn't likely to be like Omorosa or Michael Wolfe's book in terms of its gravitas. Those were basically gossip compilations. Woodward is as about as serious a journalist as you are going to get.

Having said that, it doesn't look like this is going to contain any bombshells about legal troubles for Trump, but some more significantly embarrassing insights into the dysfunction at 1600.

Last edited:
Thing about Woodward is that he doesn't exaggerate or puff up stories to fit a narrative. And his biggest asset...people like being part of Woodward books and are willing to talk to him. That doesnt mean nobody fed him some lines that are dubious, but he reports what he is told accurately.

This isn't likely to be like Omorosa or Michael Wolfe's book in terms of its gravitas. Those were basically gossip compilations. Woodward is as about as serious a journalist as you are going to get.

Having said that, it doesn't look like this is going to contain any bombshells about legal troubles for Trump, but some more significantly embarrassing insights into the dysfunction at 1600.

It's actually sad how unsurprising some of this is. It's pathetic how this White House operates and how immature and irresponsible the President is. He doesn't take anything seriously unless it involves him personally, including national security.

Reactions: Bill4411
I don't think it's surprising for most people that Trump is completely unfit for the presidency. Sadly, it won't change the thoughts of the cult members one bit.

Transcript: Phone call between President Trump and journalist Bob Woodward
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...urnalist-bob-woodward/?utm_term=.7742b0a18d22

The highlighted fact checking is very interesting. The transcript is amazing because it presents a very accurate depiction of two things:
  1. The absolute dysfunction and dishonesty permeating every facet of this administration

2. Trump is a blithering idiot incapable of stringing together a coherent thought.

Reactions: 70boiler
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...urnalist-bob-woodward/?utm_term=.7742b0a18d22

The highlighted fact checking is very interesting. The transcript is amazing because it presents a very accurate depiction of two things:
  1. The absolute dysfunction and dishonesty permeating every facet of this administration

2. Trump is a blithering idiot incapable of stringing together a coherent thought.
OMG, that was painful to read, albeit not shocking.

Again, non stop trashing the President. Continued at the Kavanaugh hearing . Not much to trash on Mr.Kavanaugh but they sure were trying as he was chosen by the President. Imagine what his wife and daughters were thinking.

Again, non stop trashing the President. Continued at the Kavanaugh hearing . Not much to trash on Mr.Kavanaugh but they sure were trying as he was chosen by the President. Imagine what his wife and daughters were thinking.

You get today's award for most irrelevant deflection!

Reactions: cinboiler
Ok, this is pretty funny.

Woodward pp133: Sean Spicer...tried several times to persuade Mattis to appear on Sunday talk shows... The answer was always no. 'Sean," Mattis finally said, "I've killed people for a living. If you call me again, I'm going to ****ing send you to Afghanistan. Are we clear?"

I don't think it's surprising for most people that Trump is completely unfit for the presidency. Sadly, it won't change the thoughts of the cult members one bit.
It’s no different than people like you fawning over Barak Obama. Obama had a bigger cult of personality than any President in history, most likely.

It’s no different than people like you fawning over Barak Obama. Obama had a bigger cult of personality than any President in history, most likely.

By people like you, you mean Trump right? He only talks about Obama every day.

Whatever gets you through a day, though.

If Obama had talked or acted anywhere near Trump, Republicans would have absolutely lost their minds. They lost their minds anyway and he wasn't anything like the Fox News generated person they pretended he was.

If Obama had talked or acted anywhere near Trump, Republicans would have absolutely lost their minds. They lost their minds anyway and he wasn't anything like the Fox News generated person they pretended he was.
“If you want to keep your doctor, you can”

“The average family will save $2500 a year”

“They cling to their guns and their religion”

“You didn’t build that”

He was quite like he was portrayed on FOX News.

Haven't read the book from what I hear, all of the quotes in the book are 2nd hand recounts. My understanding is that almost all of the people who are attributed these 2nd hand quotes in this book have denied making any comments remotely close to what Woodward is reporting.

Last edited:
I look for reactions of Vesuvian proportions when Bob Woodward's new book is released given this preview
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics/bob-woodward-book-donald-trump-fear/index.html
It appears that some of the people that Woodward quoted in the book did not say what he wrote they said. For instance General Mattis, General Kelly, and Counsel Dowd.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...mp-idiot-disputing-woodward-book?srnd=premium

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.44dbf64351e7

“If you want to keep your doctor, you can”

“The average family will save $2500 a year”

“They cling to their guns and their religion”

“You didn’t build that”

He was quite like he was portrayed on FOX News.

I know you believe this as you've shown again and again that you don't live in reality.

Did Obama say those quotes or not?

You've taken some out of context. Also, finding 4 quotes over 8 years is night and day when we're looking at daily meltdowns with Trump. Obama didn't attack the press, he didn't attack our allies, he didn't lie constantly, he didn't push to have the DOJ act as his personal attack dog going after rivals when there was no crime committed, he didn't commit obstruction of justice, he didn't have a cabinet full of people force to resign in disgrace for corruption and incompetence, he didn't make unhinged attacks on regular citizens to try to galvanize support with his base.

It appears that some of the people that Woodward quoted in the book did not say what he wrote they said. For instance General Mattis, General Kelly, and Counsel Dowd.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...mp-idiot-disputing-woodward-book?srnd=premium

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.44dbf64351e7

I mean, that was obviously their move (to deny) if they actually want to keep their jobs.

I know you're not so naive as to think Woodward made all this up.

You've taken some out of context. Also, finding 4 quotes over 8 years is night and day when we're looking at daily meltdowns with Trump. Obama didn't attack the press, he didn't attack our allies, he didn't lie constantly, he didn't push to have the DOJ act as his personal attack dog going after rivals when there was no crime committed, he didn't commit obstruction of justice, he didn't have a cabinet full of people force to resign in disgrace for corruption and incompetence, he didn't make unhinged attacks on regular citizens to try to galvanize support with his base.
He regularly attacked FOX News and other conservative news outlets. That’s no different than what Trump is doing now, except that they are different channels, papers, and websites which lean left instead of right.

There are hundreds of other quotes Obama made, including the brilliant one about there being 57 states in the US.

Indy35 called me out on Obama, therefore it’s relevant to this thread whether you like it or not.
Actually, you were the first to mention Obama. You tried to deflect off of Trump's cult of ignorance by trying to compare Obama.

He regularly attacked FOX News and other conservative news outlets. That’s no different than what Trump is doing now, except that they are different channels, papers, and websites which lean left instead of right.

There are hundreds of other quotes Obama made, including the brilliant one about there being 57 states in the US.

That is completely absurd. He most certainly did not attack the media like Trump, you are lying.

Last edited:
I mean, that was obviously their move (to deny) if they actually want to keep their jobs.

Sorry but I choose to believe these Generals over some washed up WaPo journalist who resorted to using second-hand and anonymous sources for the great majority of his book and didn’t even bother to interview the main person in the book.

Actually, you were the first to mention Obama. You tried to deflect off of Trump's cult of ignorance by trying to compare Obama.
Obama didn’t have a cult of personality? The media didn’t fawn over him? Hollywood didn’t fawn over him? I swear you live in an alternate universe.

Sorry but I choose to believe these Generals over some washed up WaPo journalist who resorted to using second-hand and anonymous sources for the great majority of his book and didn’t even bother to interview the main person in the book.

K, I see you're dutifully running with your marching orders from POTUS.

These aren't first hand accounts. Woodward was given these quotes from people other than who actually said them. Woodward may not be lying but how do we know the people feeding him this stuff are being truthful or didn't overhear the conversations incorrectly. They might be true - they might not. I think we have to at least put more credibility with the people who supposedly made the statements...as opposed to an anonymous source who overheard these conversations. Is that really up for debate?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
These aren't first hand accounts. Woodward was given these quotes from people other than who actually said them. Woodward may not be lying but how do we know the people feeding him this stuff are being truthful or didn't overhear the conversations incorrectly. They might be true - they might not. I think we have to at least put more credibility with the people who supposedly made the statements...as opposed to an anonymous source who overheard these conversations. Is that really up for debate?

Of course it is. This is simple game theory. In what world would folks like Mattis actually publicly own up to these statements? What possible incentive would they have (aside from just never telling a lie)?

Reactions: indy35
Of course it is. This is simple game theory. In what world would folks like Mattis actually publicly own up to these statements? What possible incentive would they have (aside from just never telling a lie)?
Seeing as how second hand conversations are not admissible in a court of law then I'm siding with the law. Have fun trying to figure out if these people said these things or not. Sounds like a grand ol' time!

Seeing as how second hand conversations are not admissible in a court of law then I'm siding with the law. Have fun trying to figure out if these people said these things or not. Sounds like a grand ol' time!

Noted for future reference on this board - hunkgolden will only consider something if admissible in a court of law.

They may or may not be first hand accounts. It's impossible to tell since the quotes are without attribution. Likewise, they could be third or fourth hand for that matter. Assuming people on this board are as discerning and college educated as they portray, I would hope this would be obvious to all.

Mattis and Kelly are Marine Generals. They don’t strike me as the kind of people who would lie to protect Trump. If this book were true I think they’d be silent and their silence would add validity to Woodward’s book. In this case it doesn’t.

They may or may not be first hand accounts. It's impossible to tell since the quotes are without attribution. Likewise, they could be third or fourth hand for that matter. Assuming people on this board are as discerning and college educated as they portray, I would hope this would be obvious to all.
So you started a thread about a book slamming the Trump Administration that quotes multiple people without attribution. And some people on here are treating it as if it’s Gospel truth. Hmmmm, where have we heard this before? Russian golden shower dossier anyone?

Woodward tried to reach Trump to interview him at least 6 times. Kelly Anne met with Woodward for two hours during which time Woodward asked her to invite Trump. Trump denied knowing anything about it........but then changes direction and acknowledges Lindsey did pass on the invitation that Woodward told Graham about.

Either Trump's people didnt tell him about all the times Woodward extended an invitation.......which seems like a reach, or Trump is lying.

I wouldn't expect Mattis or Kelly to publicly admit anything in the book.

Despite your opinion, Woodward is held in high esteem in political circles. He is well known for having a fanatical approach to his sourcing and research. Tapes, documents, multiple sources. I can provide Republican statements that show that if you like. That seems to be your thing.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT