ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder how much this guy will support athletics?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004

Reactions: TX4GB
I would expect Berghoff and the Trustees to have made it clear the importance Athletics has as the front door to the university. Mitch has done a tremendous job for Purdue for the past decade, but honestly the unsung heroes in the turnaround in Athletics this past decade is tied largely (IMO) to the BOT shifting towards a group of folks that actually understand the shared dynamics between Athletics and Academics. They have been the impetus for the change in funding and operations management that has allowed Purdue to climb out of the Hazell/Cordova debacle. Whether or not Chiang has previously been a follower of athletics, during his 6 month apprenticeship I expect he will be tutored accordingly as to his role in putting a supportive face to the cause. The Cordova Lessons Learned regarding athletics have not yet been forgotten, and as he works for the BOT, if he were for some reason to give any indication of returning to that direction (in part or in whole), I would guess he wouldn't be president very long. I could be wrong I suppose, but this is how I read it.

Last edited:
I would expect Berghoff and the Trustees to have made it clear the importance Athletics has as the front door to the university. Mitch has done a tremendous job for Purdue for the past decade, but honestly the unsung heroes in the turnaround in Athletics this past decade is tied largely (IMO) to the BOT shifting towards a group of folks that actually understand the shared dynamics between Athletics and Academics. They have been the impetus for the change in funding and operations management that has allowed Purdue to climb out of the Hazell/Cordova debacle. Whether or not Chiang has previously been a follower of athletics, during his 6 month apprenticeship I expect he will be tutored accordingly as to his role in putting a supportive face to the cause. The Cordova Lessons Learned regarding athletics have not yet been forgotten, and as he works for the BOT, and if he were for some reason to give any indication of returning to that direction (in part or in whole), I would guess he wouldn'tienhart be president very long. I could be wrong I suppose, but this is how I read it.
I wonder how far down the list Dienhart is for an interview.

• Haha
Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I would expect Berghoff and the Trustees to have made it clear the importance Athletics has as the front door to the university. Mitch has done a tremendous job for Purdue for the past decade, but honestly the unsung heroes in the turnaround in Athletics this past decade is tied largely (IMO) to the BOT shifting towards a group of folks that actually understand the shared dynamics between Athletics and Academics. They have been the impetus for the change in funding and operations management that has allowed Purdue to climb out of the Hazell/Cordova debacle. Whether or not Chiang has previously been a follower of athletics, during his 6 month apprenticeship I expect he will be tutored accordingly as to his role in putting a supportive face to the cause. The Cordova Lessons Learned regarding athletics have not yet been forgotten, and as he works for the BOT, if he were for some reason to give any indication of returning to that direction (in part or in whole), I would guess he wouldn't be president very long. I could be wrong I suppose, but this is how I read it.
Ditto. The Universities approach to sports (football) changed when the BoT changed. Most of those guys are still on it.

Reactions: BSIT and pboiler18
I just pray we don't have another Cordova situation. What a disaster.

In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to this guy funneling some of that grant and endowment money into athletics.

Like it or not, athletics are the face of most of the Universities, other than the ivy league. They drive everything from applications/enrollment to donations/financial support.

Reactions: DAG10
In the vast majority of cases Purdue University administrators have virtually no discretion in redirecting grant and endowment funds. Those agreements are typically structured with very specific ends in mind. My named endowment, for example, explicitly and narrowly specifies the uses to which those funds can be allocated. My (separate) naming agreement explicitly identifies the facilities on campus that bear my name. These are legally binding documents that the University is required to abide by.

In the vast majority of cases Purdue University administrators have virtually no discretion in redirecting grant and endowment funds. Those agreements are typically structured with very specific ends in mind. My named endowment, for example, explicitly and narrowly specifies the uses to which those funds can be allocated. My (separate) naming agreement explicitly identifies the facilities on campus that bear my name. These are legally binding documents that the University is required to abide by.
Don't you know that Sports are the only thing that matters? (tic)

Reactions: bonefish1
Just like if he was a Brit, we’d have an uptick in the soccer program.

Not sure that is an appropriate response.
I’m
I just pray we don't have another Cordova situation. What a disaster.

In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to this guy funneling some of that grant and endowment money into athletics.

Like it or not, athletics are the face of most of the Universities, other than the ivy league. They drive everything from applications/enrollment to donations/financial support.
as a high school student when I thought of Purdue I thought of astronauts and engineering. I really didn’t think of their sports programs. Many of my friends thought Purdue was an Ivy League school or because it’s name didn’t include a state, like Michigan or OSU, they thought it was a private school out east somewhere like Northwestern! Before the internet, most High school students outside of Indiana had no clue where Purdue was or what type of school it was. And sorry Charlie other than Bob Greise and Rick Mount, in the 70’s, nobody outside of Indiana ever heard of any of their other famous athletes! We heard of Neil Armstrong and Orville Reddinbacker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT