ADVERTISEMENT

WoHoo: Purdue recruits receive an extra *

Purdue targets not currently committed also moving in the ranks (not composite, just top 247)

Cam Williams moves way up to 180something
Milton wright drops from 50s to 130s
Jacob Bandes moves up into the 30s
Wandale moves into top 247

This doesn't include players like David Bell who dropped a single rank or Sampson James/ Stephon Heron (hopeful but unlikely flip).

I am also missing others I am sure.

I believe 1 but he never actually played for Purdue, or something. Someone will correct that, but it's close!
Kyle Williams...who was so concussed from high school and his time at Iowa, he had derangement and mental issues in his time at Purdue that led to him attacking multiple women (one of which I knew).

Purdue has never recruited a 5 star high school football player...Williams transferred but was subsequently dismissed from the program and university. He is now serving a long sentence in the Illinois State Pen I believe.

247 Sports just revised their recruit rankings:

George Karlaftis becomes a 5* and listed as the #1 SDE in the Nation
https://247sports.com/Player/George-Karlaftis-45572561

Kyle Bilodeau becomes a 4* and listed as the 11th best TE in the Nation
https://247sports.com/player/kyle-bilodeau-92085

BTFU and congrats to the @Moveb family
Here is what 247 has on George:

DE, George Karlaftis (Purdue commit)

Up from 12 to 9

Whether he grows into a defensive tackle or stays at defensive end, Karlaftis is a fantastic athlete that is relatively new to football with a track, basketball and water polo background. We saw five-star film and athleticism prior to The Opening Finals but wanted one last look and he checked out for us.

Kyle Williams...who was so concussed from high school and his time at Iowa, he had derangement and mental issues in his time at Purdue that led to him attacking multiple women (one of which I knew).

Purdue has never recruited a 5 star high school football player...Williams transferred but was subsequently dismissed from the program and university. He is now serving a long sentence in the Illinois State Pen I believe.

One sentence of 37 years, another of 10 years. Not sure where he is now.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-03-20/news/0803191144_1_attacking-woman-terry-ekl

I don't think Williams ever played at Iowa.

Kyle "Bonecrusher" Williams had originally enrolled at Iowa, but his ACT test scores were low and was released. In hindsight, some believe that Iowa had identified several psychological red flags and decided to release him under the pretense that his ACT scores didn't allow for admittance (even though he had been admitted and was already practicing and living on campus in Iowa City).

He re-took the ACT, received a higher score and enrolled at Purdue without ever playing a down for the Hawkeyes. We were elated to get him and he was said to be incredibly impressive in practice...which was followed IIRC with a locker room incidence that lead to him being released from the team.

Released from the team, but still a Purdue student, he sexually attacked 2 women around campus. He was arrested and given a court date. He went home (Bollingbrook, IL) and attacked a woman in the Chicago suburbs.

He'll be in jail for quite awhile. It is believed his numerous H.S. concussions (and subsequently believed TBI) contributed to his mental instability and aggressive behavior off the field. Sad. The kid obviously had talent, and at 20 years old had the body of an NFL linebacker. Now he's an inmate.

EDIT: Here's the GBI write-up on Williams back in 2004 when he committed to Purdue:
https://purdue.rivals.com/news/five-star-prospect-commits-to-purdue

Last edited:

We DID recruit Williams out of H.S., but finished 2nd when he chose Iowa. When he was released from Iowa during the summer before freshman classes began, he went home to study for the ACT. That fall he committed to Purdue and enrolled in January '05.

Prior to rivals and 247 rankings, Jeff George was widely regarded as the #1 player in the country that year (86 I believe?). Also, Fred Akers 2nd or 3rd class is still the best I have ever personally seen at Purdue (wish he was as good at running the team as he was recruiting it). There were several players in that class that were ‘street and smith’ magazine state and regional (ie entire Midwest) players of the year. Guys like Frank Kmet, Jeff zgonina, Lonnie Palelie, Peyton Minter, Bryan madden.. etc. I would guess by today’s standards we would at a minimum have had a Couple 5 stars in that class, and several high 4 stars. I recall the class rated as a tie for first with Michigan that year in the big ten recruiting rankings, which was a testament to what a coach with a charming personality and new facilities like the indoor practice facility could do for a program (at a time Michigan was at the top of their game in football). This years class has the potential to come close to that class if things fall right.

Reactions: Evergr8ful
Bonecrusher played at Purdue, briefly.

He played a lot (and well) in the first four games and then had concussion related issues starting after the Nd game.

Here is what 247 has on George:

DE, George Karlaftis (Purdue commit)

Up from 12 to 9

Whether he grows into a defensive tackle or stays at defensive end, Karlaftis is a fantastic athlete that is relatively new to football with a track, basketball and water polo background. We saw five-star film and athleticism prior to The Opening Finals but wanted one last look and he checked out for us.
I hope that Rivals will update their ranking also. These rankings shouldn't be that hard to see are well deserved by these guys. We've got a really good recruiting class with the best yet to come.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Purdue targets not currently committed also moving in the ranks (not composite, just top 247)

Cam Williams moves way up to 180something
Milton wright drops from 50s to 130s
Jacob Bandes moves up into the 30s
Wandale moves into top 247

This doesn't include players like David Bell who dropped a single rank or Sampson James/ Stephon Heron (hopeful but unlikely flip).

I am also missing others I am sure.

Maybe Wright dropped a little since he turned down an offer to a high profile camp that conflicted with his family vacation to the Caribbean (Bahamas I think it was). Loosing that exposure could have caused him to slide some.

Does anyone know when Rivals will put out an update to the rankings? It will be interesting to see if they bump Karlaftis up a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT