ADVERTISEMENT

With Purdue's influx of Southern talent

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Not sure which coach is responsible for the recent influx of Southern talent but that has got to help with overall speed on both sides of the ball--assuming the old adage of Southern talent is faster.

Keep up the fine recruiting, I say.

Not that I'm saying it can't be a good idea, but wasn't that a big part of Danny Hope's strategy? Except we got 4th-tier guys from Florida who didn't pan out.

With USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten, will we have any luck in CA or on the West Coast now? That is one area of the country where we have not had much luck for years.

Not that I'm saying it can't be a good idea, but wasn't that a big part of Danny Hope's strategy? Except we got 4th-tier guys from Florida who didn't pan out.
We got Ricardo Allen. I don’t see any Ricardo allens from down there in this class..

Ps here’s to danny

Reactions: pboiler18
Recruiting WR/DB/RB is the only positions I think we need to look outside the Midwest for. Florida and Texas were places Hope really tried to recruit. Pretty difficult to get guys to go north.

Danny did okay down there at skill
Positions. It was the lines that suffered.
I’m just saying i hope we don’t start this shit again where “we’ll you know, he’s a two star but up here he’d really be a 4 star” stuff from the hope era… and then there’s al terek mcburse lol

We got Ricardo Allen. I don’t see any Ricardo allens from down there in this class..

Ps here’s to danny
Ricardo was a 5'9", 170# 3-star coming out of HS.

This forum: He's too small. No way he'll make it. (add to the list)

Ricardo Allen wasn't "Ricardo Allen".

He worked his @ss off and earned everything he got, which included breaking Purdue records held by legends. Nobody saw that when he was coming out of HS.

Ricardo was a 5'9", 170# 3-star coming out of HS.

This forum: He's too small. No way he'll make it. (add to the list)

Ricardo Allen wasn't "Ricardo Allen".

He worked his @ss off and earned everything he got, which included breaking Purdue records held by legends. Nobody saw that when he was coming out of HS.
Uh.. didn’t he have a Miami and ir Florida state offer? He was a 5.7 so almost a 4 star. Did people hung up his height not remember vinny Sutherland?

Wasn’t Red Grange a little shorter? He’d be every bit the player today that he was 100 years ago

Uh.. didn’t he have a Miami and ir Florida state offer? He was a 5.7 so almost a 4 star. Did people hung up his height not remember vinny Sutherland?

Wasn’t Red Grange a little shorter? He’d be every bit the player today that he was 100 years ago
Uh... "ifs and buts"

My points remain, no matter the number of "ifs and buts". Ricardo Allen was no Ricardo Allen when he was coming out of HS. Period.

Reactions: BSIT
Uh... "ifs and buts"

My points remain, no matter the number of "ifs and buts". Ricardo Allen was no Ricardo Allen when he was coming out of HS. Period.
I just I’m sorry.. I don’t know if you paid here at the time and I’m no huge fan of louis skolnick and Gilbert (I don’t think Roy Munson worked for GBI at the time) on the premium board but Louis at the time noted the FSU offer and said that he was a huge get. Everyone was excited he was coming… I remember clear as day..

The only way he wasn’t Ricardo Allen is that no one is proven until they play.. even Jimmy claussen lol… yes in the sense that even George karlaftis wasn’t “George karlaftis” until he played, the same was true of Allen. In every other way he was highly regarded and anticipated.

Re: Allen

He was a big get and stud his frosh year. I remember a lot of folks were excited about him. He came with OJ Ross and there was a third FL commit but im not sure he ever made it to campus. All 3 I believe committed after Purdue beat OSU.

Reactions: Boilersbt4
Re: Allen

He was a big get and stud his frosh year. I remember a lot of folks were excited about him. He came with OJ Ross and there was a third FL commit but im not sure he ever made it to campus. All 3 I believe committed after Purdue beat OSU.

WR Chevin Davis was the third. I don’t think he ever made it to Purdue. Even their kicker came (Likenheimer?) but he didn’t last long.

WR Chevin Davis was the third. I don’t think he ever made it to Purdue. Even their kicker came (Likenheimer?) but he didn’t last long.
Hey how do you think receiver recruiting is going since we aren’t on KC for you to start a two dollar crying session on a board people are paying for?

if there was no NIL you think we’d be taking sub 5.6 talent at our best position group under brohm

Hey how do you think receiver recruiting is going since we aren’t on KC for you to start a two dollar crying session on a board people are paying for?

if there was no NIL you think we’d be taking sub 5.6 talent at our best position group under brohm

Sigh….

Okay…if it helps you sleep. continue to bash commits for a number assigned to them by Rivals…be a keyboard bad ass. I don’t care.

I just don’t understand your logic; You think Rivals staff have a better rating system that Big Ten, SEC and ACC coaching staffs.

Question is, when they get booted up as their senior year progresses or they out perform their rating will you eat crow or disappear? You’ll problem pick out the two or three guys that fail and ignore that nearly a third or more of all recruits never live up to their potential

Reactions: Compton Jones
Tiller was the one who really did well in FL and TX. He'd take the biggest, fastest athletes he could get from the south and turn them into linebackers, DE, safety, etc.

Reactions: TheGunner
Recruiting WR/DB/RB is the only positions I think we need to look outside the Midwest for. Florida and Texas were places Hope really tried to recruit. Pretty difficult to get guys to go north.
But....there's a ton of talent in the south, much more than the SEC schools have room for. So, if these kids want to get on the field in a P5 program, play on TV, get exposure to NFL scouts, etc, Purdue or other B10 schools are a great option.

But....there's a ton of talent in the south, much more than the SEC schools have room for. So, if these kids want to get on the field in a P5 program, play on TV, get exposure to NFL scouts, etc, Purdue or other B10 schools are a great option.

Add in the recent ratings inflation Ricardo would be an easy 4*, maybe even close to a 6.0

what are you talking about?

Yes, people were happy he committed. There's no way you're going to convince even the most gullible he would go on to set Purdue records and become that kind of NFL player.
You never have that in recruiting but the dude has a comfortable offer from either Florida state or Miami or both. He was as close as you get especially at the time. The most anticipated previous recruit with no red flags before him might have been stu. At least on KC

Well, what do you know. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

You were using an unproven 3-star DB to dunk on Brohm's/Purdue's unproven 3-star DB recruiting class.
Wait what? I think brohm has proven to be excellent. If we aren’t recruiting a position right now it’s because of cash not brohm

okay... what was I wrong about?

Everything I posted was accurate.
The dude was as close to a guy like David bell, GK and Stu as I’ve seen.. a highly rated guy who people wanted.. there was no lymon/Kyle Williams wink wink with this kid.. he was chased by programs like a high 4 star

what are you talking about?

Yes, people were happy he committed. There's no way you're going to convince even the most gullible he would go on to set Purdue records and become that kind of NFL player.
Dude had OSU and FSU offers that were committable. I said he was highly regard, which he was. You said otherwise.

Also, you changed the conversation with the records thing. BTW - Which record did he set?

Dude had OSU and FSU offers that were committable. I said he was highly regard, which he was. You said otherwise.

Also, you changed the conversation with the records thing. BTW - Which record did he set?
Are any of you surprised that “38 isn’t that bad” is also “Ricardo Allen wasn’t that good” guy? Some people only love the little engine who could

Are any of you surprised that “38 isn’t that bad” is also “Ricardo Allen wasn’t that good” guy? Some people only love the little engine who could
For some reason, folks think that only the unheralded recruits thrived at purdue pre Brohm. Weird.

If anything, he might be confusing Brown with Allen.

• Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Plus also had EJ Johnson, Gabe Holmes, Normandy Harris, and Will Lucas from Florida in that class. And in Indiana we did alright with a trio of upper guys who all had offers from IU. Bruce Gaston I remember was a huge get from st. Rita. They weren’t all MAC players, at least not our 2010 class.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Plus also had EJ Johnson, Gabe Holmes, Normandy Harris, and Will Lucas from Florida in that class. And in Indiana we did alright with a trio of upper guys who all had offers from IU. Bruce Gaston I remember was a huge get from st. Rita. They weren’t all MAC players, at least not our 2010 class.
Normando, not Normandy.

2011 class was a good class in spite of the small number and its ranking
  • Mostert
  • Akeen Hunt
  • Frankie Williams
  • Kugler
  • Shavers

Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT