ADVERTISEMENT

With divisions disappearing what excuse will IU use

They will always claim they got screwed in the scheduling. If only all their games were against the bottom half of the B1G they could win 3 conference games.

From a West perspective, this is going to hurt. I see O$U, UM, PedSU, MSU, and UW/Iowa on rare occasion, in the championship game.

If the divisions are going away, we only have one year left to avoid the shut out. :D

How many games would be protected?

Scott Dochterman from The Athletic gave some conversations that up to five may be merited.

How many protected games could we see?

It could be less, but I would suggest up to five, with Maryland and Rutgers excepted.

#B1G East breakdown

OSU - MI, PSU, ILL, IU & PUR
MI - OSU, MSU, PSU, MN & NW
MSU - MI, PSU. NW, IU & NE
PSU - OSU, MI, MD, MSU & MN
IU - PUR, OSU, ILL, MSU & RU
Only 2 each for newest based on limited @B1Gfootball history
MD - PSU & RU
RU - MD & IU

#B1G West breakdown

ILL - NW, OSU, PUR, IU & IA
#Hawkeyes - MN, NE, WI, ILL & NW
MN - WI, IA, MI, PSU, NE
#Huskers - IA, MN, WI, PUR & MSU
NW - ILL, MSU, IA, MI & WI
Purdue - IU, ILL, OSU, NE & WI
WI - MN, IA, NE, NW & PUR

Five protected games
& 3-4 more B1G gms

One suggestion I already received would flip it Iowa-Purdue and Nebraska-Northwestern in what I originally had.

For going 2-7 in conference play with the big ten East gone
Finally, there will not be an excuse other than the results.

But, I will ask a question and it is - would you trade playing Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, and Northwestern every year for playing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State every year?

Getting rid of the divisions, which must be done, may mean IU stays a bottom dweller forever. But, it makes the playing field more level which is all anyone can ask.

Finally, there will not be an excuse other than the results.

But, I will ask a question and it is - would you trade playing Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, and Northwestern every year for playing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State every year?

Getting rid of the divisions, which must be done, may mean IU stays a bottom dweller forever. But, it makes the playing field more level which is all anyone can ask.
So you're saying it's better to be a bottom dweller without excuses than it is to be a bottom dweller that can perpetually whine about being in the mean East division.

So you're saying it's better to be a bottom dweller without excuses than it is to be a bottom dweller that can perpetually whine about being in the mean East division.

Yeah it levels the playing field... which still means Indinia sinks to the bottom

How many games would be protected?

Scott Dochterman from The Athletic gave some conversations that up to five may be merited.

How many protected games could we see?

It could be less, but I would suggest up to five, with Maryland and Rutgers excepted.

#B1G East breakdown

OSU - MI, PSU, ILL, IU & PUR
MI - OSU, MSU, PSU, MN & NW
MSU - MI, PSU. NW, IU & NE
PSU - OSU, MI, MD, MSU & MN
IU - PUR, OSU, ILL, MSU & RU
Only 2 each for newest based on limited @B1Gfootball history
MD - PSU & RU
RU - MD & IU

#B1G West breakdown

ILL - NW, OSU, PUR, IU & IA
#Hawkeyes - MN, NE, WI, ILL & NW
MN - WI, IA, MI, PSU, NE
#Huskers - IA, MN, WI, PUR & MSU
NW - ILL, MSU, IA, MI & WI
Purdue - IU, ILL, OSU, NE & WI
WI - MN, IA, NE, NW & PUR

Five protected games
& 3-4 more B1G gms

One suggestion I already received would flip it Iowa-Purdue and Nebraska-Northwestern in what I originally had.
You guys know a lot more about the inner workings of the B1G and long-standing rivalries than me. That said if divisions are dumped, I don't see anything but 3 annual and 5 rotating on a once every 2 year basis just like the ACC has been talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT