ADVERTISEMENT

Wishing the Best for David Bell!

a late report said he was up and walking around. It didn't say anything further. i'm sure there will be additional testing and protocals followed. my prayers are wit h him.

Reactions: BSIT
Sounds like he might be ok. According to the Purdue football twitter, he was up, moving around, and with his teammates after being evaluated. That really looked scary.

I didn't have good audio and was more concerned about his health, but he made the catch right?

Reactions: pboiler18
Regarding the play, they never showed a replay at Notre Dame. Should it have been targeting?

Regarding the play, they never showed a replay at Notre Dame. Should it have been targeting?
Hard to say. Obviously our bias says yes, but it was not direct contact to the head or neck IMO. I thought he got him hard in the upper back. Momentum obviously put the neck into play.

Reactions: Beorik

To me targeting would have been a tough call to make. The defender certainly launched but initial contact I believe was to the upper back. From one angle it didn’t look like any contact to the head but from the other angle they showed I believe the defenders shoulder actually did glance off the side of Bell helmet. So imo close call but I am ok wit it not being called because it didn’t appear to me that the defender was head hunting.

Per the Jackson Anthrop interview it sounds like Bell is fine. Jackson Said Bell was all good and ready to go.
Great to hear if that's the case. I'm sure he'll be dealing with a concussion, so I'm guessing we won't see him against Illinois. But again, glad that it wasn't something mobility or life changing.

As far as targeting by the rule, maybe not. But Hamilton launched at a defenseless player. This is the type of hit that is exactly why targeting was implemented. If nothing else, there should have been an unnecessary roughness call on the play.

Great to hear if that's the case. I'm sure he'll be dealing with a concussion, so I'm guessing we won't see him against Illinois. But again, glad that it wasn't something mobility or life changing.

As far as targeting by the rule, maybe not. But Hamilton launched at a defenseless player. This is the type of hit that is exactly why targeting was implemented. If nothing else, there should have been an unnecessary roughness call on the play.
It met the letter of the law for targeting. But as always there is a lot of room for judgment in the application.
- Defenseless receiver YES
- Defender launching YES
-Forcible contact to head or neck area YES

The third one was not obvious from the tv angle or at full speed, but the back side angle in slow motion shows there was contact to the head/neck. It should have been reviewed.

It met the letter of the law for targeting. But as always there is a lot of room for judgment in the application.
- Defender launching YES

The third one was not obvious from the tv angle or at full speed, but the back side angle in slow motion shows there was contact to the head/neck. It should have been reviewed.
It’s ironic because the “referee expert” they brought in said it clearly wasn’t targeting because the blow wasn’t to the head and neck….which on replay it’s clearly to the upper back/neck area. BUT…I didn’t think it was malicious, intentional, etc. Guy made a hard hit and a good play.

JUST like Kieren Douglas mad a clean hit earlier in the game IMO and even though he led with the crown and lunged, he was nowhere close to the guys head or neck yet the same “referee expert” said it was clearly targeting. Such an impactful rule and seemingly people still don’t understand it….or they just want to call it when their bias is involved.
IMO neither were targeting. Just football plays that unfortunately guys got hurt on.

- Defender launching YES

Exactly - my complaint is with the fact that there was no review done for targeting.
That play is exactly why the rule was written in the first place.

Happy to hear it sounds like Bell is OK, although from what I saw, it looks like he could have a concussion. He is a special talent and a tremendous young man. As for the question of targeting, I think the officials got it right. But, they very easily could have flagged Hamilton for unnecessary roughness, and probably should have.

Didn't look like targeting to me, but it easily could have been called unnecessary roughness. ND almost always gets the benefit of the doubt on borderline calls. I'm very happy D Bell was reported to be "up and around." Very well could have a concussion, but I was thinking whiplash from the way he got hit. Hoping for a speedy recovery from whatever it is.

Any other stadium in the country with a gut motionless on the field for that long the "booth" would have taken a look. Not if ND is the home team. If that had been a Domer on the ground the entire Boiler D would have been DQ'd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT