ADVERTISEMENT

Wisc -2 vs. Purdue

People outside of the Purdue community have no concept of the pain inflicted by the Badgers upon our beloved.

It's mid October, 2004. A 5-0 Purdue team is ranked #5 and coming off consecutive road giant-slaying victories against Notre Dame and Penn State. College Gameday is on campus. The scene is off the charts. A once-in-a-lifetime season is underway. In front of a sold-out home crowd, the Purdue defense keeps Wisconsin phenom Anthony Davis largely in check and musters just enough offense to lead 17-14 in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter. Facing a 3rd & 3 with just 2:49 left, star QB Kyle Orton fakes the handoff, turns to run, and appears to be on his way to securing a pivotal and likely game clinching first down.

And then this happens...

EIGHTEEN YEARS later, Purdue football still has not fully healed.

That 2004 gut punch led to:
-Immediate = A 4 game losing streak and limping 7-5 finish to that once magical season
-Intermediate = Steady decline over the following 4 seasons, ending the career of legendary coach Joe Tiller
-Long term = Years of mediocrity transitioning to futility, bad coaching hires and lack of funding from the University

And ZERO wins against the Wisconsin Badgers during this time period. Even with the Jeff Brohm renaissance, we have seen a continuation of "the streak", from 11 to 15 games. And any time we think we've got them in a winnable game, Lucy is right there to pull the football away from Charlie Brown.

Until this gorilla is ripped from the back of the Purdue football program, slayed, and buried 6 feet under, the stench of that 2004 cataclysmic turn of events remains.

For a pinch of salt, there was also the Kyle Smith drop of a gift-wrapped interception with just over 7 minutes left with Purdue leading 17-7. :(

Damn, you.....FDB.

People outside of the Purdue community have no concept of the pain inflicted by the Badgers upon our beloved.

It's mid October, 2004. A 5-0 Purdue team is ranked #5 and coming off consecutive road giant-slaying victories against Notre Dame and Penn State. College Gameday is on campus. The scene is off the charts. A once-in-a-lifetime season is underway. In front of a sold-out home crowd, the Purdue defense keeps Wisconsin phenom Anthony Davis largely in check and musters just enough offense to lead 17-14 in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter. Facing a 3rd & 3 with just 2:49 left, star QB Kyle Orton fakes the handoff, turns to run, and appears to be on his way to securing a pivotal and likely game clinching first down.

And then this happens...

-Immediate = A 4 game losing streak and limping 7-5 finish to that once magical season
-Intermediate = Steady decline over the following 4 seasons, ending the career of legendary coach Joe Tiller
-Long term = Years of mediocrity transitioning to futility, bad coaching hires and lack of funding from the University

And ZERO wins against the Wisconsin Badgers during this time period. Even with the Jeff Brohm renaissance, we have seen a continuation of "the streak", from 11 to 15 games. And any time we think we've got them in a winnable game, Lucy is right there to pull the football away from Charlie Brown.

Until this gorilla is ripped from the back of the Purdue football program, slayed, and buried 6 feet under, the stench of that 2004 cataclysmic turn of events remains.

We even blocked that PAT, drove right into FG range... then misses the game tying 40ish yarder...

We even blocked that PAT, drove right into FG range... then misses the game tying 40ish yarder...
Yup. I was at that game, sitting right behind the goal post and watched as it sailed wide. That was a particularly cold night as I recall, and the Wisconsin fan I was sitting with noticed that the FG kicker did not do any warm-up kicks on the sideline before coming in to kick that FG.

The other item that I don't see mentioned alot is that Orton suffered a side stinger in that game (not sure if it was on the infamous fumble play or not), and that affected his play the next week against Michigan which Purdue also lost.

Last edited:

And then this happens...

Still have PTSD from that game. Thanks for helping me recall that pain.

Didn’t we lose to a terrible Northwestern team the following weekend?

I seem to recall Dorien Bryant catching a long pass late in the game getting hit, spun in the air like a helicopter blade and then losing the ball? Maybe I am misremembering.

Sadly - you are not - that was the fait accompli with just over two minutes left in that heartbreaker. Ahhhhh, what a lovely trip down memory lane as Halloween approaches......

And then this happens...

Solid unis and helmets there though.

Reactions: RossMackey
As long as we are going down the memory hole of doom, wasn't there a play maybe 10ish years ago where we got a TO that would have sealed the game and our guy running with the ball and a clear path to the end zone pulled a hammy and fell down?

Reactions: Roeder
As long as we are going down the memory hole of doom, wasn't there a play maybe 10ish years ago where we got a TO that would have sealed the game and our guy running with the ball and a clear path to the end zone pulled a hammy and fell down?

2017 we blocked a punt and recovered, probably a TD but the guy pulled a hammy and I think we ended up with a FG instead. Wouldn't have iced the game tho

Welp. This year you exercise those demons. Purdue 45 - 17
If they win, even by 1, I would be thrilled.

I was there when they won in '00...one of the most enjoyable games I have been to, and, special memories of it as well (including celebrating in the end zone after Woodyard returned the blocked FG for the win)...highlight though was sitting with the future Mrs. Brittany Brees for the game.

If there were a year to take Wisky in Madison, this is probably it.
Our strength on D (defending the run) is their strength on O (trying to run). But, as we saw against Nebby, when they were forced to pass, they did all their damage.
The PU defensive coaches gotta get this secondary figured out and quit giving up big plays or at least tackle a helluva lot better so a 15 yard pass completion doesn't turn into a 60 yac.
You have to remember Nebraska had a penchant for chucking it deep. Wisconsin doesn’t have that

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If they win, even by 1, I would be thrilled.

I was there when they won in '00...one of the most enjoyable games I have been to, and, special memories of it as well (including celebrating in the end zone after Woodyard returned the blocked FG for the win)...highlight though was sitting with the future Mrs. Brittany Brees for the game.
I was at that game as well. I drove up with my mom and dad on a day he was able to still walk.
I can’t even imagine him trying to get up in the freaking top of the stands where we sat but somehow we did it!
And I never wanted to leave when the game was over! “That“ kind of stuff is why I get so excited about our Purdue football seasons!!!

Reactions: DAG10
You have to remember Nebraska had a penchant for chucking it deep. Wisconsin doesn’t have that

And Casey Thompson is good at the deep ball. Graham Mertz is good at... throwing INTs? Padding stats against cupcakes?

I was at that game as well. I drove up with my mom and dad on a day he was able to still walk.
I can’t even imagine him trying to get up in the freaking top of the stands where we sat but somehow we did it!
And I never wanted to leave when the game was over! “That“ kind of stuff is why I get so excited about our Purdue football seasons!!!
I had gone with my Dad also...another reason that it was a special memory. We were fortunate enough to have had some better seats obviously....it was my only time at Camp Randall, but, it was a great time and great game...during a very special season obviously.

Reactions: jmohlman
Welp. This year you exercise those demons. Purdue 45 - 17
Curious .. after the game what did you think of Purdue?

I was greatly impressed with not only Palmer, but came away thinking Thompson was better than I thought. I think Joseph is a coach ready to go for the throat for the rest of this season and he has players playing tough fundamentally sound football.

in fact, unless your new coach is going to bring that last part and then some, I wouldn’t recommend moving on from Joseph for a year or two. Get that fundamental physicality re instilled into the entire program then go looking for someone more dynamic.

worst thing Nebraska could do is go for someone dynamic and lose that first part

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
Curious .. after the game what did you think of Purdue?

I was greatly impressed with not only Palmer, but came away thinking Thompson was better than I thought. I think Joseph is a coach ready to go for the throat for the rest of this season and he has players playing tough fundamentally sound football.

in fact, unless your new coach is going to bring that last part and then some, I wouldn’t recommend moving on from Joseph for a year or two. Get that fundamental physicality re instilled into the entire program then go looking for someone more dynamic.

worst thing Nebraska could do is go for someone dynamic and lose that first part
And Joseph will be cheaper. Haven't they paid fired coaches multi-millions?

2017 we blocked a punt and recovered, probably a TD but the guy pulled a hammy and I think we ended up with a FG instead. Wouldn't have iced the game tho
I believe that was up in Wisconsin. I remember yelling lateral it before he went down, might have been Andy Chelf.

I had gone with my Dad also...another reason that it was a special memory. We were fortunate enough to have had some better seats obviously....it was my only time at Camp Randall, but, it was a great time and great game...during a very special season obviously.
Been to Camp Randall several times since the wife's family is from around the Madison area.
I was at the Brees 83 passes game, and also saw the last win in whatever it was, 03?
Since then, I went to a steady and consistent string of drubbings.
But, I do think this year is different. We match up better in the trenches. Our strengths on D is against their strength on O.
We have a QB who's dialed in and has something resembling a run game to work with.

Been to Camp Randall several times since the wife's family is from around the Madison area.
I was at the Brees 83 passes game, and also saw the last win in whatever it was, 03?
Since then, I went to a steady and consistent string of drubbings.
But, I do think this year is different. We match up better in the trenches. Our strengths on D is against their strength on O.
We have a QB who's dialed in and has something resembling a run game to work with.
Unfortunately, I just saw this...so, easy to joke about it now!

I remember the 83 pass game well...I am thrilled to have been at the one that I was obviously...I remember that win in '03...cannot believe that not only did Purdue lose again, but, barely even competed...admittedly, I am not shocked that they lost, but, to be as bad as they were...I did not see that coming.

Does Purdue have a strength on defense? I would argue that after today, they do not...and, after watching Minnesota such yet again, I feel like that win that seemed like a big one at the time, really was not that impressive (and, less so even in realizing how many points Minnesota gave to Purdue, or, failed to put on the board).

I had said it before, and, alluded to it this past week...English is not the answer as/at DC...he is the 4th guy to have held the title, but, he is the 3rd guy to not be good at it for/under/with Brohm. That Purdue is SO bad on that side of the ball is just mind boggling...and, that they will have a 5th guy likely in that role (in 7 years) next year is equally so.

How Purdue could make THAT Wisconsin team look as good as they did is puzzling...if what looked to be one of Purdue's better teams in a while facing what is absolutely the worst Wisconsin team that it has seen in that now 16-game losing streak could not only not win, but, not even be competitive in general, it does not bode well moving forward.

Unfortunately, I just saw this...so, easy to joke about it now!

I remember the 83 pass game well...I am thrilled to have been at the one that I was obviously...I remember that win in '03...cannot believe that not only did Purdue lose again, but, barely even competed...admittedly, I am not shocked that they lost, but, to be as bad as they were...I did not see that coming.

Does Purdue have a strength on defense? I would argue that after today, they do not...and, after watching Minnesota such yet again, I feel like that win that seemed like a big one at the time, really was not that impressive (and, less so even in realizing how many points Minnesota gave to Purdue, or, failed to put on the board).

I had said it before, and, alluded to it this past week...English is not the answer as/at DC...he is the 4th guy to have held the title, but, he is the 3rd guy to not be good at it for/under/with Brohm. That Purdue is SO bad on that side of the ball is just mind boggling...and, that they will have a 5th guy likely in that role (in 7 years) next year is equally so.

How Purdue could make THAT Wisconsin team look as good as they did is puzzling...if what looked to be one of Purdue's better teams in a while facing what is absolutely the worst Wisconsin team that it has seen in that now 16-game losing streak could not only not win, but, not even be competitive in general, it does not bode well moving forward.

Well.....going in you'd think Purdue matched up well, and yes, if there was ever a chance to finally get over the top against the Badgers since 2003, yesterday looked like the day.

For whatever reason, just about the entire team (coaching staff included) looked out of sorts right from the gun.....maybe they were too amped up.....certainly looked to be playing tightly.....don't know. Hopefully, you chalk it up to just one of those "it's not your day" scenarios. We'll find out if they are deeper concerns than the ones already glaringly present when the Iowa Hawkeyes visit Ross-Ade in two weeks.

In trying to find a silver lining (talk about having your work cut out for you)....the loss streak started in Ross-Ade, I suppose it's fitting it should end there.....

I am as confused as all of you guys as to why Purdue was so bad yesterday.This isnt an excuse,but maybe playing eight weeks in a row has just burnt them out.Three road games in four weeks would be hard on any team and this team just isnt very deep and talented anywhere except the defensive line and even they played poorly yesterday.I counted twenty players on the roster last night who have lost some playing time this year and that must be an unusually high amount of injuries.This team gets a week off now and we will see if that helps when Iowa comes to Ross Ade in two weeks.

Wisconsin should just play the Devo song "Whip It" when they play us. Our version:
Crack that whip
Give Pete a bloody lip
Step on their track
Break the Boilers back
So whip them, whip them good.

"16 candles" by the Crests could also be played now.

Onward.

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG and DAG10
Well.....going in you'd think Purdue matched up well, and yes, if there was ever a chance to finally get over the top against the Badgers since 2003, yesterday looked like the day.

For whatever reason, just about the entire team (coaching staff included) looked out of sorts right from the gun.....maybe they were too amped up.....certainly looked to be playing tightly.....don't know. Hopefully, you chalk it up to just one of those "it's not your day" scenarios. We'll find out if they are deeper concerns than the ones already glaringly present when the Iowa Hawkeyes visit Ross-Ade in two weeks.

In trying to find a silver lining (talk about having your work cut out for you)....the loss streak started in Ross-Ade, I suppose it's fitting it should end there.....
16 consecutive "not your day" scenarios is difficult to understand, or, chalk it up as such.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
16 consecutive "not your day" scenarios is difficult to understand, or, chalk it up as such.

I guess that's the Boilerepherine meds kicking in to overdrive.....

33f64r.gif

ADVERTISEMENT