ADVERTISEMENT

Wisc -2 vs. Purdue

Jan 29, 2002
Definitely a game that I would not touch from a betting perspective. Who knows what UW or Purdue team will show up.

UW's defense is bad this year, poor LB and CB play for the most part. Also, team morale isn't the greatest from what I am hearing locally, 4th string WR, who was a 4 star recruit is entering the portal after not getting any snaps over the weekend, despite catching his first TD against NW. Also, a lineman was kicked off the team mid-week for unknown reasons. I didn't know this, but players have 30 days to enter the transfer portal after a coach is fired.

Definitely a game that I would not touch from a betting perspective. Who knows what UW or Purdue team will show up.

UW's defense is bad this year, poor LB and CB play for the most part. Also, team morale isn't the greatest from what I am hearing locally, 4th string WR, who was a 4 star recruit is entering the portal after not getting any snaps over the weekend, despite catching his first TD against NW. Also, a lineman was kicked off the team mid-week for unknown reasons. I didn't know this, but players have 30 days to enter the transfer portal after a coach is fired.

So could we get Trey Palmer from Nebby? That would be great!

Reactions: drewjin and Wolegib
If there were a year to take Wisky in Madison, this is probably it.
Our strength on D (defending the run) is their strength on O (trying to run). But, as we saw against Nebby, when they were forced to pass, they did all their damage.
The PU defensive coaches gotta get this secondary figured out and quit giving up big plays or at least tackle a helluva lot better so a 15 yard pass completion doesn't turn into a 60 yac.

Sampson James did it without ever playing a game at Purdue...
Yes, BUT he also never played a game at OSU. He signed, but never played, then went to IU. COVID craziness also may have played into that. Now that the dust is settling on COVID year activities, is it only 1x portal use?

Our strength on D (defending the run) is their strength on O (trying to run). But, as we saw against Nebby, when they were forced to pass, they did all their damage.
The PU defensive coaches gotta get this secondary figured out and quit giving up big plays or at least tackle a helluva lot better so a 15 yard pass completion doesn't turn into a 60 yac.

Mertz is not Thompson...

There are some rules changes coming. But he would be a grad transfer so they may not apply!

Mertz is terrible despite his lofty HS recruiting rating! He is the main reason for UW’s inconsistency

Reactions: drewjin
"tackle a helluva lot better so a 15 yard pass completion doesn't turn into a 60 yac."
Get back to the fundamentals:
1) Don't let WR get behind you.
2) Wrap and tackle at the legs and knees. Do that one thing effectively and we can stop the gashes! Get out the practice dummies and go back to fundamentals. Begin Secondary practice and end their practices with the fundamentals.

It astonishes me that we are getting gashed this bad. It is literally a joke in making WR's look like All Americans and is unacceptable.

Get back to the fundamentals:
1) Don't let WR get behind you.
2) Wrap and tackle at the legs and knees. Do that one thing effectively and we can stop the gashes! Get out the practice dummies and go back to fundamentals. Begin Secondary practice and end their practices with the fundamentals.

It astonishes me that we are getting gashed this bad. It is literally a joke in making WR's look like All Americans and is unacceptable.
agreed. Balance up, square up, get hands on the guy and wrap up. Quit going for the big hit and just get the guy on the ground.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Absolutely load the box and make Mertz beat you.
I agree. Can’t overdo it though. Load the box about a 1/3 of the time, play base the rest. I think Wisconsin isn’t very explosive and can’t sustain drives.

Mertz can hurt you. He’s not going to put up huge numbers. Just have to make things hard on them.

Does anyone know of a free Wisconsin forum where fans actually post

Just saw a tweet on BTN that Leonhard said they're going to try to limit Braelon Allen's usage so he can be fresh for the homestretch. He just had 29 of their 32 actual rushing attempts against Michigan State. Not counting Mertz stats.

Just saw a tweet on BTN that Leonhard said they're going to try to limit Braelon Allen's usage so he can be fresh for the homestretch. He just had 29 of their 32 actual rushing attempts against Michigan State. Not counting Mertz stats.
I was keeping an eye on the UW/MSU game specifically to see Allen's usage. With Melusi down, he has been carrying a lot of the load. Was quite pleased to see that game go down to OT and him getting 32 touches. This is the time of the season where the hits are adding up.

Weather is looking nice
Mostly sunny, with a high near 68.

It was snowing today in Madison, not cold enough to stick thankfully

great to hear, then we'll win it.
Weirdly, I think bad weather could have helped our cause against Nebraska. Harder to complete those 40 yard bombs in the wind and rain. Against Wisconsin, we're probably better off with a dry track and fair weather.

2 Wisconsin WRs have entered the portal this week. Stephan Bracey has no stats. Markus Allen played 4 games with 7 catches and a TD. Looks like their backup RB Mellusi is still out with an injury. Isaac Guerendo is next up with 23 carries for 94 yards for the season, most of that against New Mexico State in mop-up duty.

Reactions: purduepat1969
This shocks me. I know you guys have struggled against them, but I really think you blow them out.
People outside of the Purdue community have no concept of the pain inflicted by the Badgers upon our beloved.

It's mid October, 2004. A 5-0 Purdue team is ranked #5 and coming off consecutive road giant-slaying victories against Notre Dame and Penn State. College Gameday is on campus. The scene is off the charts. A once-in-a-lifetime season is underway. In front of a sold-out home crowd, the Purdue defense keeps Wisconsin phenom Anthony Davis largely in check and musters just enough offense to lead 17-14 in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter. Facing a 3rd & 3 with just 2:49 left, star QB Kyle Orton fakes the handoff, turns to run, and appears to be on his way to securing a pivotal and likely game clinching first down.

And then this happens...

EIGHTEEN YEARS later, Purdue football still has not fully healed.

That 2004 gut punch led to:
-Immediate = A 4 game losing streak and limping 7-5 finish to that once magical season
-Intermediate = Steady decline over the following 4 seasons, ending the career of legendary coach Joe Tiller
-Long term = Years of mediocrity transitioning to futility, bad coaching hires and lack of funding from the University

And ZERO wins against the Wisconsin Badgers during this time period. Even with the Jeff Brohm renaissance, we have seen a continuation of "the streak", from 11 to 15 games. And any time we think we've got them in a winnable game, Lucy is right there to pull the football away from Charlie Brown.

Until this gorilla is ripped from the back of the Purdue football program, slayed, and buried 6 feet under, the stench of that 2004 cataclysmic turn of events remains.

Last edited:
I just learned that former Penn State and Chicago Bears WR Bobby Engram is Wisconsin's OC.

People outside of the Purdue community have no concept of the pain inflicted by the Badgers upon our beloved.

It's mid October, 2004. A 5-0 Purdue team is ranked #5 and coming off consecutive road giant-slaying victories against Notre Dame and Penn State. College Gameday is on campus. The scene is off the charts. A once-in-a-lifetime season is underway. In front of a sold-out home crowd, the Purdue defense keeps Wisconsin phenom Anthony Davis largely in check and musters just enough offense to lead 17-14 in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter. Facing a 3rd & 3 with just 2:49 left, star QB Kyle Orton fakes the handoff, turns to run, and appears to be on his way to securing a pivotal and likely game clinching first down.

And then this happens...

EIGHTEEN YEARS later, Purdue football still has not fully healed.

That 2004 gut punch led to:
-Immediate = A 4 game losing streak and limping 7-5 finish to that once magical season
-Intermediate = Steady decline over the following 4 seasons, ending the career of legendary coach Joe Tiller
-Long term = Years of mediocrity transitioning to futility, bad coaching hires and lack of funding from the University

And ZERO wins against the Wisconsin Badgers during this time period. Even with the Jeff Brohm renaissance, we have seen a continuation of "the streak", from 11 to 15 games. And any time we think we've got them in a winnable game, Lucy is right there to pull the football away from Charlie Brown.

Until this gorilla is ripped from the back of the Purdue football program, slayed, and buried 6 feet under, the stench of that 2004 cataclysmic turn of events remains.
Welp. This year you exercise those demons. Purdue 45 - 17

ADVERTISEMENT