ADVERTISEMENT

Winning Time: Rise of the Laker Dynasty

lone*boiler

True Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2001
Been watching this series and it's been very enjoyable. I knew I'd probably like it since the Majic Johnson era at MSU coincided with my time at Purdue. But, have learned a few things too.

Possibly interesting thing for this board was how Jack McKinney was the architect of putting Magic and Norm Nixon together on the floor, along with Michael Cooper to fundamentally change the game of NBA ball. Instead of walking it up the court, setting it up and running everything through Kareem, McKinney had the dream to "run" - transition basketball. And, they ran whether or not the got a turnover or the other team scored. Lots of teams have gone to that type of play in college - see Gonzaga and Alabama. And they're now recruiting to it. Painter went the other way and has been successful. Lots of ways to play the game.

Just wanted to mention this in case you guys need a basketball fix while waiting for football. Oh, and even though I lived through these times and followed the nba, I had no idea, Pat Riley, as portrayed in the series, was so lost before getting his opportunity. Can't wait to learn more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.