ADVERTISEMENT

Winning team depth chart for 2020

CDBRclass01

All-American
Sep 16, 2019
Here’s what I have as far as who is ready to come in, if healthy, and play their role on a winning team. Imagine you took a player right after this season and the Nebraska game was next week.

For injured players .. we will give them the offseason and not presume we played at Nebraska next week. For healthy players, who was ready to be a starting caliber corner or backup caliber guard on a good team.

Here we go:

QB - Plummer, O’Connell
RB - Doerue, Horvath
WR - Bell, Sparks
WR - Wright, Anderson
WR - Moore, Anthrop
TE - starter, Durham
LT - Hermanns, Miller
LG - Craig, Stickford
C - starter, Garvin, Beach
RG - starter, Washington
RT - Miller, Bramel

DE - Karlaftis, Deen
NT - Neal, Johnson
DT - Watts, Sullivan
Leo - Barnes, Deen
OLB/NB - Graham
MLB - Starter, Jones
OLB - Starter, Alexander, Saunders
CB - Mackey
FS - Allen
SS - Starter, Thienemann
CB - Starter, Major, Trice

So.. in essence, I’m saying that for example major can have a good offseason and come out looking like a big ten caliber starter. He showed signs. The same is theoretically true for Thienemann but I doubt it.

If a player doesn’t develop in the offseason and ends up in a spot just cause that’s the best they have ... well, that’s how losses happen

Here’s what I have as far as who is ready to come in, if healthy, and play their role on a winning team. Imagine you took a player right after this season and the Nebraska game was next week.

For injured players .. we will give them the offseason and not presume we played at Nebraska next week. For healthy players, who was ready to be a starting caliber corner or backup caliber guard on a good team.

Here we go:

QB - Plummer, O’Connell
RB - Doerue, Horvath
WR - Bell, Sparks
WR - Wright, Anderson
WR - Moore, Anthrop
TE - starter, Durham
LT - Hermanns, Miller
LG - Craig, Stickford
RG - starter, Washington
RT - Miller, Bramel

DE - Karlaftis, Deen
NT - Neal, Johnson
DT - Watts, Sullivan
Leo - Barnes, Deen
OLB/NB - Graham
MLB - Starter, Jones
CB - Mackey
FS - Allen
SS - Starter, Thienemann

So.. in essence, I’m saying that for example major can have a good offseason and come out looking like a big ten caliber starter. He showed signs. The same is theoretically true for Thienemann but I doubt it.

If a player doesn’t develop in the offseason and ends up in a spot just cause that’s the best they have ... well, that’s how losses happen

You don't think Bramel can start next year? Beach is the big question mark for the o-line right now.

If Beach is healthy and plays well, then

LT Hermanns
LG Craig
C Beach or Bramel
RG McKenna or Bramel or Jornigan or Washington or Stickford or Roland
RT Miller or Bramel

Bramel seems like he could play anywhere on the line. Assuming McKenna was in the 2-deep, then you would think he is close to being ready. Looks like good competition will happen on the right side of the line.

The secondary and linebacker groups are too much of an unknown until we know what the new additions will be. Corner looks to be competitive, and the best case scenario is enough quality depth is developed for Trice to return to safety. I don't see Jones as a backup next year, if he is healthy.

Here we go:

QB - Plummer, O’Connell
RB - Doerue, Horvath
WR - Bell, Sparks
WR - Wright, Anderson
WR - Moore, Anthrop
TE - starter, Durham
LT - Hermanns, Miller
LG - Craig, Stickford
RG - starter, Washington
RT - Miller, Bramel

DE - Karlaftis, Deen
NT - Neal, Johnson
DT - Watts, Sullivan
Leo - Barnes, Deen
OLB/NB - Graham
MLB - Starter, Jones
CB - Mackey
FS - Allen
SS - Starter, Thienemann

I believe that Wahlberg will be in the(middle) LB mix, possibly as a starter, and that Kpaka and maybe Hunter get time at DE. Kpaka is probably a little further along physically at this point but Hunter might have a quickness advantage right now.

You don't think Bramel can start next year? Beach is the big question mark for the o-line right now.

If Beach is healthy and plays well, then

LT Hermanns
LG Craig
C Beach or Bramel
RG McKenna or Bramel or Jornigan or Washington or Stickford or Roland
RT Miller or Bramel

Bramel seems like he could play anywhere on the line. Assuming McKenna was in the 2-deep, then you would think he is close to being ready. Looks like good competition will happen on the right side of the line.

The secondary and linebacker groups are too much of an unknown until we know what the new additions will be. Corner looks to be competitive, and the best case scenario is enough quality depth is developed for Trice to return to safety. I don't see Jones as a backup next year, if he is healthy.

I think if you look at the rate that Miller game on, id bet on him taking the job. But the way I’d break it down is really like this...

If you have a DE as quick as Shaka Toney, you have have have to go with miller. If the first step isn’t quite what Toney possesses, you can run Bramel out there all day long.

Fair?

I believe that Wahlberg will be in the(middle) LB mix, possibly as a starter, and that Kpaka and maybe Hunter get time at DE. Kpaka is probably a little further along physically at this point but Hunter might have a quickness advantage right now.

I didn’t list anyone I haven’t seen play. This, other than injured players I didn’t list, is what I believe the coaches would start with if they had to put a roster together next weekend. This is what’s known.

Kpaka is a grow-a-DT. He will never be ahead of hunter unless there is some unknown issue with hunter

I think if you look at the rate that Miller game on, id bet on him taking the job. But the way I’d break it down is really like this...

If you have a DE as quick as Shaka Toney, you have have have to go with miller. If the first step isn’t quite what Toney possesses, you can run Bramel out there all day long.

Fair?

Fair.

Reactions: CDBRclass01
I didn’t list anyone I haven’t seen play. This, other than injured players I didn’t list, is what I believe the coaches would start with if they had to put a roster together next weekend. This is what’s known.

Kpaka is a grow-a-DT. He will never be ahead of hunter unless there is some unknown issue with hunter

Gotcha. Hunter's at about 265-270 now isn't he? Doubt he'll see much DT until/unless he's at least 285+. Haven't heard of issues with Hunter but just heard he's not as far along strength wise. Given your parameters the list is logical.

Gotcha. Hunter's at about 265-270 now isn't he? Doubt he'll see much DT until/unless he's at least 285+. Haven't heard of issues with Hunter but just heard he's not as far along strength wise. Given your parameters the list is logical.

Hunter is a DE. Never said he was a DT. Kpaka is a grow a DT.

Reactions: pboiler18
Yeah, I mistyped- meant Kpaka is about 265-270 now, not Hunter.

When someone tells me that player x is going to come here and gain 30 plus pounds and do x, y and z”

I pretty much say “probably not” and If they surprise me, great. Reviere has not surprised me since he switched to DT. IMO players like Sullivan are the exception, not the rule.

When someone tells me that player x is going to come here and gain 30 plus pounds and do x, y and z”

I pretty much say “probably not” and If they surprise me, great. Reviere has not surprised me since he switched to DT. IMO players like Sullivan are the exception, not the rule.

Yep, that's why I mentioned both Kpaka and Hunter as DE and not DT. Faucheux is the one who intrigues me. Nice thing is with Neal returning the pressure to play the younger guys before they're really ready is reduced. Watts, Johnson, Sullivan and Deen provide a better nucleus as well.

Yep, that's why I mentioned both Kpaka and Hunter as DE and not DT. Faucheux is the one who intrigues me. Nice thing is with Neal returning the pressure to play the younger guys before they're really ready is reduced. Watts, Johnson, Sullivan and Deen provide a better nucleus as well.

But that’s the thing with grow a players .. if Kpaka fails to grow into a DT, he was likely only considered for that because he lacks explosiveness at DE.. the Reviere story.

If Kpaka proves it, great. I won’t count on it

But that’s the thing with grow a players .. if Kpaka fails to grow into a DT, he was likely only considered for that because he lacks explosiveness at DE.. the Reviere story.

If Kpaka proves it, great. I won’t count on it

Kid will be a redshirt freshman next season - let's not give up on him now. I see him as more of a Barnes type (LEO) as opposed to in the Karlaftis mold.

Kid will be a redshirt freshman next season - let's not give up on him now. I see him as more of a Barnes type (LEO) as opposed to in the Karlaftis mold.

No no no.. you want to them this into “you’re giving up on this specific kid.” I’m not. I’m saying ... come to me with anybody. Your best friend, my worst enemy, Santa Claus, and be like “hey so this kid is 6’2” 240 (or whatever), he’s gonna gain 60 lbs and play DT,” and my first instinct is “doubt it, but if he does then sure.”

When anyone says anything positive about Kpaka .. they can’t possibly have a rational basis, And all I hear is “I followed Jared Sparks recruitment so I know he will be good (even though I have no rational basis for saying that).”

No no no.. you want to them this into “you’re giving up on this specific kid.” I’m not. I’m saying ... come to me with anybody. Your best friend, my worst enemy, Santa Claus, and be like “hey so this kid is 6’2” 240 (or whatever), he’s gonna gain 60 lbs and play DT,” and my first instinct is “doubt it, but if he does then sure.”

When anyone says anything positive about Kpaka .. they can’t possibly have a rational basis, And all I hear is “I followed Jared Sparks recruitment so I know he will be good (even though I have no rational basis for saying that).”

What the hell are you even saying? Are you being positive or negative about Kpaka because I doubt anyone can tell from your collection of garble.

And I've never said Kpaka(or anyone for that matter) is going to gain 60(or 50, 40) pounds. Or anything about Sparks' recruitment.

What the hell are you even saying? Are you being positive or negative about Kpaka because I doubt anyone can tell from your collection of garble.

And I've never said Kpaka(or anyone for that matter) is going to gain 60(or 50, 40) pounds. Or anything about Sparks' recruitment.

There isn’t a ****ing reason in the world for anyone to mention Kpaka at this point unless they’re a ****in idiot...

Better?

I’ve been through grow a player idiots with Garrett miller and Sean sester.

“You see it will be cool, because Garrett is 220 right. So he will just gain 80 lbs.. which is super easy on your ligaments and he will still run like a guy who is 220..”

Morons

There isn’t a ****ing reason in the world for anyone to mention Kpaka at this point unless they’re a ****in idiot...

Better?

“You see it will be cool, because Garrett is 220 right. So he will just gain 80 lbs.. which is super easy on your ligaments and he will still run like a guy who is 220..”

Morons

Okay, clearer at least. Not sure why you bring up your "grow a player" diatribe with me - I haven't advocated it.

As for Kpaka, never claimed he'd start, just that he(and Hunter) may get some time at DE. Not a "f***ing idiot" thing to say at all. Having seen the younger guys in practice myself, it's just my educated opinion, okay?

Okay, clearer at least. Not sure why you bring up your "grow a player" diatribe with me - I haven't advocated it.

As for Kpaka, never claimed he'd start, just that he(and Hunter) may get some time at DE. Not a "f***ing idiot" thing to say at all. Having seen the younger guys in practice myself, it's just my educated opinion, okay?

There’s no rational basis for claiming that Kpaka will get in when hunter does. Hunter was recruited as a special pass rusher and showed up looking the part at DE. I have never once heard anyone on KC even mention Kpaka being anywhere near the field.. not in this world or any world you might imagine

I’ll be looking for hunter and Faucheux to get in the game early next year

There’s no rational basis for claiming that Kpaka will get in when hunter does. Hunter was recruited as a special pass rusher and showed up looking the part at DE. I have never once heard anyone on KC even mention Kpaka being anywhere near the field.. not in this world or any world you might imagine

I’ll be looking for hunter and Faucheux to get in the game early next year

Agree about Faucheux and possibly Hunter. KC isn't full of coaches or even people who've seen guys in person, so I don't put any more stock in those opinions(or lack thereof)than that of any other message board. Have a good evening.

Agree about Faucheux and possibly Hunter. KC isn't full of coaches or even people who've seen guys in person, so I don't put any more stock in those opinions(or lack thereof)than that of any other message board. Have a good evening.

I can’t stand people who hype players just because they followed their recruitment and like said player ...

When I said KC I meant including GBI

Big10 teams need 300+ lb defensive tackles. You can play a 275 lb guy 20-30 snaps or to rush the passer. We can recruit an extra SDE to move inside but we need 3-4 run stuffers on the roster at DT.

Reviere is a prime example of dudes that aren’t physical enough to play inside for multiple snaps. I like being able to play maximum speed like Tiller used to. However... it just doesn’t work agains Wisconsin.

I can’t stand people who hype players just because they followed their recruitment and like said player ...

When I said KC I meant including GBI

Just curious, who hyped any player in this thread?

Just mentioning someone who I believe MAY get time is "hyping " them? Bullshit. Seems like you just want to argue(again) so go ahead.

No rational basis for bringing up that kpaka may get time. I don’t think I heard Brian or Tom mention anything like that all year.

Better?

Morons
Says the guy who thinks Holt is responsible for recruiting defensive players.

Again idiot did you read the whole paragraph or did you cut off the back half then copy and paste...
Here’s your embarrassingly uninformed paragraph, in its entirety:

“Nick Holt is a defensive coordinator. The expectation for that level is that when It comes to your position, you should be able to recruit good players and have them on the field doing things as redshirt freshmen.”

Here’s your embarrassingly uninformed paragraph, in its entirety:

“Nick Holt is a defensive coordinator. The expectation for that level is that when It comes to your position, you should be able to recruit good players and have them on the field doing things as redshirt freshmen.”

Lol what fantasy world do you live in dumbass where the defensive coordinator is like “yeah I run the defense but I don’t necessarily know what players should be in it or have any input on recruiting.”

You used the word embarrassing and you’re a guy who tried to defend people joining the klan. You’re an idiot

Fair?

when the line improved later in the year, Bramel was playing 70% of the snaps at RT... no reason to think Miller will unseat him

Nobody has Fasikini playing MLB in these posts. Dude is a hitter and physical presence. He can’t cover.... but I like how he hits.

Better?

Morons

So what’s your cut off for gaining weight to play? There have been several players bulk up and move to bigger positions and contribute.

So what’s your cut off for gaining weight to play? There have been several players bulk up and move to bigger positions and contribute.

Lol I didn’t think this thread was gonna turn into “well why can’t a guy who Tom and Brian never ever ever brought up as being anywhere near anything all year.. get to 300 and play.

He was 250 coming out of high school. How many players who were 250 gained 40-50 pounds in one year and played?

Who was the last player who wasn’t sullivan’s Height who packed on 40-50 lbs and was extremely effective and good on the injury front.

It’s rhe exception not the rule. We have:

Lorenzo Neal
Anthony Watts
Lawrence Johnson
Steven Faucheux
Jack Sullivan

And then when Bryce Austin, who also won’t play this year, is coming in at 285+

This has a lot of Jared Sparks in it.

“Sure I have no rational basis for thinking he will be good, but I followed his recruitment, so **** off.”

Lol I didn’t think this thread was gonna turn into “well why can’t a guy who Tom and Brian never ever ever brought up as being anywhere near anything all year.. get to 300 and play.

He was 250 coming out of high school. How many players who were 250 gained 40-50 pounds in one year and played?

Who was the last player who wasn’t sullivan’s Height who packed on 40-50 lbs and was extremely effective and good on the injury front.

It’s rhe exception not the rule. We have:

Lorenzo Neal
Anthony Watts
Lawrence Johnson
Steven Faucheux
Jack Sullivan

And then when Bryce Austin, who also won’t play this year, is coming in at 285+

Well, you brought up Sean Sester and Garrett Miller. I agree, he won’t be needed, however it’s not impossible.

Well, you brought up Sean Sester and Garrett Miller. I agree, he won’t be needed, however it’s not impossible.

Not impossible is a very very low burden.

For example, it was pointed out by people who cover the team that Ball is likely going to be no more than a role player ... but it’s NOT IMPOSSIBLE that inside, he’s really Rudy and he will turn out to be an all conference player.

Lol what fantasy world do you live in dumbass where the defensive coordinator is like “yeah I run the defense but I don’t necessarily know what players should be in it or have any input on recruiting.”

You used the word embarrassing and you’re a guy who tried to defend people joining the klan. You’re an idiot
LOL. I win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT