ADVERTISEMENT

Will we know more tomorrow about D.C.?

Take this for what it's worth (probably not much). Talking with a customer yesterday who is also a Notre Dame fan, he mentioned that Purdue was after their DL coach, Mike Elston for the DC position. He said that Elston is also a candidate for ND's DC position, but might sign on with Purdue if he doesn't get it. This guy isn't connected to ND football or anything, but he says he follows all the blogs and stuff. It certainly could be possible Elston is using Purdue as leverage. I don't know anything about him other than he has been a part of Kelly's staff since the Cincinnati days and is currently their DL. He also has the title of Associate Head Coach for whatever that really means.

Again, this guy might just be throwing stuff out there like most of us fans so take it for what it's worth as I haven't seen anything around here connecting Elston with Purdue.

Again, this guy might just be throwing stuff out there like most of us fans so take it for what it's worth as I haven't seen anything around here connecting Elston with Purdue.
There might be some traction behind that comment of Mike Elston.
Mike Elston appears to want promotion at ND. He has been on Kelly's staff for 10 years. If Marcus Freeman gets the title, expect Mike Elston to look elsewhere. The other feature Elston offers is background experience as recruiting coordinator at ND from '15 thru '17 (3 seasons). He has a lot of Midwest connections. He is from Ohio and went to Michigan. His roots are deeper than most other candidates. Only speculation, but it makes sense and until ND settles their DC our DC situation may remain open.

Mike Elston appears to want promotion at ND. He has been on Kelly's staff for 10 years. If Marcus Freeman gets the title, expect Mike Elston to look elsewhere. The other feature Elston offers is background experience as recruiting coordinator at ND from '15 thru '17 (3 seasons). He has a lot of Midwest connections. He is from Ohio and went to Michigan. His roots are deeper than most other candidates. Only speculation, but it makes sense and until ND settles their DC our DC situation may remain open.
Any concern as to why he would have been passed over by Kelly multiple times?

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Did you copy and paste that from somewhere?

Once again, my main reason to jump into the fray was to point out that Holt had a good record at USC. He wasn't a crummy DC at each of his posts.

Now, we could turn the argument around and say that only scoring these points :

2019 Points/G: 25.8 (87th of 130)
2018 Points/G: 30.5 (52nd of 130)
2017 Points/G: 25.2 (92nd of 130)

for someone who is supposed to an offensive guru is the reason for the lack of success.

I like Brohm and Holt, just trying to understand why people attack Holt as the main reason that we 'underachieved' and that his dismissal was justified.

BTW, did you see what Jonathan Taylor did against JAX?
I also think Holt wasn't that great of a 'crooter.

Hey Nat, is there something to the Elston to Purdue talk? I searched and didn't find any article linking the two.

He has a good track record, but never a DC. His players seem to love him and many ND fans are advocating he get the job there, so he must be doing things right.

Hey Nat, is there something to the Elston to Purdue talk? I searched and didn't find any article linking the two.

He has a good track record, but never a DC. His players seem to love him and many ND fans are advocating he get the job there, so he must be doing things right.
Rumor is all I’ve gotten. Most from the nd Side. Nothing from anyone I know with connections to the ad

Rumor is all I’ve gotten. Most from the nd Side. Nothing from anyone I know with connections to the ad
Thanks. I reluctantly posted what I heard yesterday since it just seemed like rumor to me also, but since we have heard absolutely nothing I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else was hearing anything.

Not GBI...came from ND web (not even sure if it were Rivals forum). If Freeman does the upgrade in programs, look for Elston to move on. It would make logical sense.
BTW, not a direct copy/paste. Read and interpretted.

Any concern as to why he would have been passed over by Kelly multiple times?
Candidates could be six of one and half dozen of another, yet the "Manager" prefers outside influence to change perspective a bit. I would say that Kelly has at least been written as loyal to his personnel that sticks with him. If he chooses Freeman, that is a signal to Elston to move on if you want a promotion.

So much for the comment that no defensive players will sign until we have a new DC. An Auburn LB transfer just signed!
Could Brohm be looking for another job,maybe thats why we haven`t hired a d/c.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.
Thanks for that upbeat assessment.

As an interesting aside, two Football program openings were just posted on Purdue's career site on the 5th. So, maybe getting closer?

Any armchair coaches can now go apply....who knows you could be the next Tom Allen.

As an interesting aside, two Football program openings were just posted on Purdue's career site on the 5th. So, maybe getting closer?

Any armchair coaches can now go apply....who knows you could be the next Tom Allen.

Who knows, you might easily get an interview but not the job. On these posted jobs they like to interview unqualified candidates so that their hand-picked one will be found the most suitable. I once applied for a scientific position at Lawrence Berkley Labs and after arrival found that my interview was for the Director of the entire laboratory, not the job that I was eminently suited for as the requirements exactly fit my background! I felt like sending them a bill for my wasted time commensurate with that Director's position's salary.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Looks like Marcus Freeman is going to LSU. Not sure what Kelly will do with Elston. But he won't likely have to compete with Freeman...

Purdue mention in article about South Carolina hiring WKU DC Clayton White.

Clayton White turned down Purdue?

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity because the move has not yet been announced, said White has accepted the defensive coordinator position at South Carolina, after recently turning down the defensive coordinator position at Purdue.

Purdue mention in article about South Carolina hiring WKU DC Clayton White.

Clayton White turned down Purdue?

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity because the move has not yet been announced, said White has accepted the defensive coordinator position at South Carolina, after recently turning down the defensive coordinator position at Purdue.
Not surprising. Ships taking on water don't tend to have a high profile. If I were an up and coming coordinator, I'd stay as far away from Purdue as possible, at least until it's determined Brohm's job will be stable...

Brohm will be here at least 2 more years. That's as stable as it gets in college football.
Going to a team with a new head coach is A LOT different than going to work for a coach on a hot seat. I just don't see any hot coordinator on the market doing that. Just my opinion.

Going to a team with a new head coach is A LOT different than going to work for a coach on a hot seat. I just don't see any hot coordinator on the market doing that. Just my opinion.
Brohm isn't on a hot seat, no matter how much the Brohm-haters want it to be so.

The past 2 seasons have been surreal, and throwaway at best.

He's clearly the type of leader Purdue has been in search of. It's not even a point of discussion. Purdue needs this type of leader. If they fire him, who the h*ll is next? What type of coach is next?

Les Miles?

LOL

Oh, h*ll no.

Bobinski and Mitch both understand what is necessary to put this program on a long term, successful path. It's certainly not a High School coach.

It's also not someone who failed in a premier, high-profile P5 program.

Reactions: krf3632
Brohm isn't on a hot seat, no matter how much the Brohm-haters want it to be so.

He's clearly the type of leader Purdue has been in search of. It's not even a point of discussion. Purdue needs this type of leader. If they fire him, who the h*ll is next? What type of coach is next?

Les Miles?

LOL

Oh, h*ll no.

Bobinski and Mitch both understand what is necessary to put this program on a long term, successful path. It's certainly not a High School coach.

Coaches hot seat has coach Brohm #4

Reactions: purduepat1969

Les Miles?

LOL

Oh, h*ll no.

I'm not a Brohm hater. But there's going to be pressure next year to produce. Wins matter. Doesn't matter how good of a "leader" you are if you eventually can't put wins in the book. And regardless of the perimeter circumstances and excuses, this season for Purdue football was a shitshow of large proportions.

Reactions: DAG10 and cjcollie
I'm not a Brohm hater. But there's going to be pressure next year to produce. Wins matter. Doesn't matter how good of a "leader" you are if you eventually can't put wins in the book. And regardless of the perimeter circumstances and excuses, this season for Purdue football was a shitshow of large proportions.

There always is pressure to produce. There was this year. There will be next. And the following

There are no excuses. Never have been. Not sure why that keeps appearing here. (Well, yes, I am.)

There always is pressure to produce. There was this year. There will be next. And the following

There are no excuses. Never have been. Not sure why that keeps appearing here. (Well, yes, I am.)
I think injuries to key players are always reasonable explanations in sports for under performing expectations. Robbie Hummel and Isaac Haas come to mind in hoops.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT