ADVERTISEMENT

Will Edey win NPOY honors this year?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I know voters like to vote for players on the “Blue Bloods”. However, there is other player in college basketball this year that is as dominating as Edey.
Will he win the award for college basketball’s National Player of the Year, which would be the first for us since Glenn?

It's REALLY early to be seriously talking about who's going to win NPOY. There's just too many games left to be played and too many variables.

But I think it will either hinge on him putting up such gaudy numbers, regardless of Purdue's record, that they couldn't ignore. Or if he stays pretty consistently in a double-double and Purdue makes a run in the tournament

Short answer: yes
Long answer: too early to tell

Every time someone predicts something big involving Purdue or a Purdue player, early in the season, bad things happen!

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Just curious if you guys watch any of the media on their YouTube channels and / or other coaches at their pre / post game pressers. Regardless of what the hill jacks to the south spew, Purdue's program / coach Paint is HIGHLY regarded as a great program. They ALL understand that the March Tournament is a one and done but results don't dissuade the opinion of this program. Most don't even care about that, like me, to be honest.

Keady was nationally appreciated as a great coach because he was a great coach. Paint is nationally appreciated for the same values. Taking a dude, even though he is 7'4, that has only played the game about 6-7 years and having him in the position to be talked about as NPOY, is about as impressive as it gets and that's not been lost on anyone who's opinion is valued.

He was +550 to win the Wooden at my site a few days ago. It's off the board at the moment.

Purdue to win the title is up to +2000.

I know voters like to vote for players on the “Blue Bloods”. However, there is other player in college basketball this year that is as dominating as Edey.
Will he win the award for college basketball’s National Player of the Year, which would be the first for us since Glenn?

As long as he doesn't get injured due to overplaying, I would say he is the favorite.

Not sure why he was in the game with a big lead late vs MN?

We were struggling to score a little with 5-6 min left. Lead got down to 12 or 13 think MP just wanted to put it away.

As long as he doesn't get injured due to overplaying, I would say he is the favorite.

Not sure why he was in the game with a big lead late vs MN?
Notice when he is in the game no team takes it inside for easy baskets but take midrange or 3 point shots that has been every game this season

Reactions: oldboiler52
Notice when he is in the game no team takes it inside for easy baskets but take midrange or 3 point shots that has been every game this season
I thought Minnesota was fantastic offensively yesterday. We couldn’t stop their pick and rolls, many of which resulted in easy lay ups. Then they went on a stretch where they couldn’t miss from the outside. Zach could not be as aggressive defensively because of Mason being out and Furst getting in foul trouble. Purdue just outscored the Gophers.

Reactions: Inspector100
another thing I noticed is Zach has developed a nice drop step move. In the furst half in front of the Paint Crew, he did one and his defender was just frozen and Zach got an easy short banker.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
another thing I noticed is Zach has developed a nice drop step move. In the furst half in front of the Paint Crew, he did one and his defender was just frozen and Zach got an easy short banker.
He's taken the extra step to the right side of the basket a handful of times. Sometimes he gets called for traveling and sometimes he doesn't. It's traveling every single time.

He's taken the extra step to the right side of the basket a handful of times. Sometimes he gets called for traveling and sometimes he doesn't. It's traveling every single time.
Did they change the traveling rules? I ask because players are routinely taking a step off their pivot foot while shooting. I always thought that was traveling, but either I was wrong or they've changed the rule.

Did they change the traveling rules? I ask because players are routinely taking a step off their pivot foot while shooting. I always thought that was traveling, but either I was wrong or they've changed the rule.
Yes, a few years ago. It's very vague now and you can lift the pivot foot on a basketball move like a shot.
Art. 3. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;64 Rule 4 / definitions
b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

Yes, a few years ago. It's very vague now and you can lift the pivot foot on a basketball move like a shot.
Art. 3. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;64 Rule 4 / definitions
b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.
Thanks, I thought something like that must have changed. So essentially you can change the pivot foot as long as you pass or shoot it before the original pivot foot touches down again. Seems wrong, but obviously should be part of Zach's arsenal.

I mean if he can play the whole season like this start, yes clearly he's in the NPOY conversation. But we haven't even gotten to real conference play yet. Lot of season left to happen.

Players from blue bloods? Last 10 years? Not really. Only 3 of the last 10 have come from Duke/Kentucky/Indiana/UNC/Kansas/UCLA and those 3 are Frank Mason(Kansas), Zion(Duke), Oscar(UK).

Before last year UK hadn't had a Naismith winner since Anthony Davis.
Duke hadn't had one from Zion in 2019 since JJ Redick in 2006.
Kansas hadn't had one before Mason in 2017 since Danny Manning in 1988.
North Carolina hasn't had one since Psycho T in 2008.
Indiana hasn't had one since Calbert in 1993.
UCLA hasn't had one since Marques Johnson in 1977.

Now you wanna talk about like early 2000s, if you're stuck there... Duke had 4 in 8 years from 1999-2006. Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Jay Williams and JJ Redick. But since then?
2003- TJ Ford(Texas)
2004- Jameer Nelson(Saint Joseph's)
2005- Andrew Bogut(Utah)
2007- Kevin Durant(Texas)
2009- Blake Griffin(Oklahoma)
2010- Evan Turner(Ohio State)
2011- Jimmer Fredette(BYU)
2013- Trey Burke(Michigan)
2014- Doug McDermott(Creighton)
2015- Frank Kaminsky(Wisconsin)
2016- Buddy Hield(Oklahoma)
2018- Jalen Brunson(Villanova)
2020- Obi Toppin(Dayton)
2021- Luka Garza(Iowa)

I created this thread over 2 weeks ago. I know we are still very early in the season, but Edey is absolutely dominating. I am saying he is going to do it this year.

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
The crazy thing is that if you look at his stats per 100 possessions, he’s actually scoring a little less than last season, but where he’s really improved is that he is fouling a lot less, which is allowing him to stay in the game. If he can keep that up, his stats should be sustainable able. It also helps that his foul shooting has improved, which makes him that much harder to defend by pushing and grabbing.

The other main thing that Zach will need is for his teammates to start hitting their outside shots again. I have confidence that they will because they are getting good looks and they are capable shooters.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT