ADVERTISEMENT

Why so little "Big" Interest from CMP

RFSNES

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
It seems as if we have no one lined up to recruit for the True 5 Spot for 2019....I think we need at least 1 a year to develop and have available ( Enlighten Me)

Nebraska's small ball death lineup last year saw Isaac Copeland ( #14 in the picture) play center. He will start at center for Nebraska this year again. Then obviously Juwan Morgan played center for Indiana when Davis went down and Indiana instantly became a better team.

HuskerDefense.jpg

At some point in Wheelers career, he is going to play small ball center. It will probably even be this year. Vince even played some small ball center for Painter this past season.

Yeah, agree here. No way does Wheeler play the 5. CMP isn’t going to try something on offense that leaves the team lacking that significantly on the defensive end. Wheeler could easily slide to the 4 but can you imagine Wheeler trying to guard Nick Ward in the paint?
UNLESS..it is a single possession and Purdue has the ball and he wants 5 behind the arc or on the perimeter. A single possession on O or D can provide unusual settings, but yeah...if more than one possessions and an improbable substitution time the thought has to concern the other half of the game

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
UNLESS..it is a single possession and Purdue has the ball and he wants 5 behind the arc or on the perimeter. A single possession on O or D can provide unusual settings, but yeah...if more than one possessions and an improbable substitution time the thought has to concern the other half of the game
Agree that it might be for a single possession given the need but for any sort of extended time it isn't necessary. The kid from Nebraska played it out of necessity and the same for Morgan. Morgan got abused in the paint consistently against better than average centers.

For example, Happ had 28 and 10 against IU last season. Nick Ward had 18 and 13. Haas had 26 and 5. Seton Hall's Delgado had 19 and 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese
I have the feeling that between Haarms and Dow, there will not be much playing time. Dow might be the surprise of this class.

Definitely has the most potential that's for sure. Hope he can become the next Gorgui Dieng that played on Louisville's *national championship team. I know Louisville was looking at him for that exact reason and fortunately never offered.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You all know how much I've talked about Dow, he's my boy...…..if he kills it, I will take most, if not all, the credit. If he doesn't kill it, then this message will self destruct. CMP has to keep an eye on little bro...….I read that he is, which only makes sense. Love the Dow!

th

Reactions: Schnelk
That plus I think Painter is evolving his lineups to have mobile bigs instead of traditional ones.
Came here to post the same thing. The game is much faster now which means the slow plodding monsters under the hoop are no longer a "thing".

Painter is clearly recruiting for a much more athletic team which to me shows that we are going for more scoring as opposed to more defense.

Last edited:
Came here to post the same thing. The game is much faster now which means the slow plodding monsters under the hoop are no longer a "thing".

Painter is clearly recruiting for a much more athletic team which to me shows that we are going for more scoring as opposed to more defense.
The shot clock and the officials have moved the needle. Matt is just trying to adjust...

Reactions: oldboiler52
You all know how much I've talked about Dow, he's my boy...…..if he kills it, I will take most, if not all, the credit. If he doesn't kill it, then this message will self destruct. CMP has to keep an eye on little bro...….I read that he is, which only makes sense. Love the Dow!

th
If Dow turns out to be the defender he is expected to be and turns in to a good offensive player...someone has to create a Dow Jones Chart for him for his blocks on the season. Would be something unique that ties in to the defense lives here mentality.

Reactions: PU pit bull
I don't get the idea some have said that Haarms needs to add weight. I think it's a blessing he's as mobile as he is at about 250. The athleticism we have on this team is very exciting to me. I hope we use it to the max.

Reactions: PU pit bull
I don't get the idea some have said that Haarms needs to add weight. I think it's a blessing he's as mobile as he is at about 250. The athleticism we have on this team is very exciting to me. I hope we use it to the max.
Maybe not weight in the terms of a offensive lineman putting on. More like muscle weight to withstand the strength of other more physical big men.

That is my interpretation of him putting on weight.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Same arguments we heard when JJ was here. Lots of people who believe to be a center you have to look like a brick house. Haarms is going to end up being a heck of a player once he develops his low post/back to the basket moves with Brantley. His ability to square up defenders or take smaller ones down to the post will be a heck of a threat....its' what made JJ an AA.

You both make good points but he doesn't have to have a dominant low post game for us to be successful. If he's got help on the boards he can shoot the 3. I think Boudreaux, Wheeler or Williams will provide that help.
Somebody list all the centers in the B10 bigger than Haarms.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Ah, the old 5-0 zone!!!

If the season started today we would have an 8 man rotation . Starters Nojel , Carsen , Ryan , Evan and Matt . Subs 1 & 2 spots Eric 100 % of the time . 3 spot Aaron 70 % of sub minutes Sasha 30 % . 4 & 5 spots Grady 75 % of sub minutes at the 4 with Evan moving to the 5 to spell Matt . Both Dow and Tre will have to battle for the other 25 % . I have been told that Eric Hunter will have starter minutes . And Purdue could move Nojel to any spot 1-4 to keep Eric on the court . Aaron does not practice with the Big's he is a wing . We are going to run and run and run . Position less basketball has arrived

If the season started today we would have an 8 man rotation . Starters Nojel , Carsen , Ryan , Evan and Matt . Subs 1 & 2 spots Eric 100 % of the time . 3 spot Aaron 70 % of sub minutes Sasha 30 % . 4 & 5 spots Grady 75 % of sub minutes at the 4 with Evan moving to the 5 to spell Matt . Both Dow and Tre will have to battle for the other 25 % . I have been told that Eric Hunter will have starter minutes . And Purdue could move Nojel to any spot 1-4 to keep Eric on the court . Aaron does not practice with the Big's he is a wing . We are going to run and run and run . Position less basketball has arrived

Would be huge for recruiting after this season if we can show that we "ran and ran and ran".

I will say, Emmanuel Dowuonna and now Brandon Newman as a recruit hes going after hard seem like very defensive oriented targets for Painter. I dont think hes entirely focusing on offense in recruiting.

Thank you for this . I can not wait for the season to get here already. This team is so good and going to be really fun to watch.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT