ADVERTISEMENT

Why Not Purdue!!!

RFSNES

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
I would love to know why we are not a program of choice...even after 31 WINS!!!!!
Straight from the players mouth....would be a great project. Cannot solve a problem until we find out what the problem is.

Reactions: boilersallthewaynow
He’s a good coach. However, Painter is an average recruiter at best. We need a good coach and a good recruiter. We have it in football at Purdue, but not men’s basketball unfortunately.
We need a good recruiter in basketball, one that can close. That I will agree on, but not at the expense of firing Painter over it.

We need a good recruiter in basketball, one that can close. That I will agree on, but not at the expense of firing Painter over it.

So, your content with his inability to land elite recruits? It’s not going to get better, in fact only much worse. I think unless there is a MAJOR shake up on his staff that he will start feeling the heat next season.

So, your content with his inability to land elite recruits? It’s not going to get better, in fact only much worse. I think unless there is a MAJOR shake up on his staff that he will start feeling the heat next season.
You mean like missing out on Biggie? Wait, that didn't happen. Okay how about missing out on Newman, wait that didn't happen either. Gillis? Nope.

Just because he doesn't land who YOU want doesn't mean he missed or can't recruit. There is a good set of players on the current roster and coming in to make us a solid TEAM. Also let's not forget it wasn't long ago that Purdue wasn't even a mention on some of the lists and that has changed.

Carsen will be watched this entire season by recruits to see how things have changed from a center-focused offense to one that is more fluid, high flying and dynamic. That is what all the new rules want and Painter clearly is adapting to that style.

It is far ... far too early to be abandoning the ship when there is a shift currently going on. Sit back, think about it logically not emotionally and you'll see it.

You mean like missing out on Biggie? Wait, that didn't happen. Okay how about missing out on Newman, wait that didn't happen either. Gillis? Nope.

Just because he doesn't land who YOU want doesn't mean he missed or can't recruit. There is a good set of players on the current roster and coming in to make us a solid TEAM. Also let's not forget it wasn't long ago that Purdue wasn't even a mention on some of the lists and that has changed.

Carsen will be watched this entire season by recruits to see how things have changed from a center-focused offense to one that is more fluid, high flying and dynamic. That is what all the new rules want and Painter clearly is adapting to that style.

It is far ... far too early to be abandoning the ship when there is a shift currently going on. Sit back, think about it logically not emotionally and you'll see it.

1 guy who was a top 25 recruit in how many years? Let’s hear it! Funny

I know a coach who is a weak recruiter and seems to be getting worse. That shouldn’t happen after being a school as long as Matt Painter has, but IT IS.

Biggie is the only elite recruit (top 50) Painter has landed in the last decade. Should I start naming all of the top 50 talent he has missed on in the last decade?

1 guy who was a top 25 recruit in how many years? Let’s hear it! Funny

I know a coach who is a weak recruiter and seems to be getting worse. That shouldn’t happen after being a school as long as Matt Painter has, but IT IS.
Well you said he never gets one, but he did. Funny how you move the goalposts when I counter it with some factual data.

And again, just because he doesn't get who you want (yet is still successful, who knew?) doesn't mean he is failing or getting worse. He has two four stars coming in and very solid nucleus that he is developing in to what will be a deep and talented team.

Well you said he never gets one, but he did. Funny how you move the goalposts when I counter it with some factual data.

And again, just because he doesn't get who you want (yet is still successful, who knew?) doesn't mean he is failing or getting worse. He has two four stars coming in and very solid nucleus that he is developing in to what will be a deep and talented team.
Not if they don't play them more, if we are going to lose, let the freshman learn in the process.

Not if they don't play them more, if we are going to lose, let the freshman learn in the process.
But they are playing more. Lbodel broke down the minutes and Grady as an example and he is playing less.

We're only a few games in and I think come January we might see lineup changes. I don't really care who starts, but I am guessing we'll see the newcomers get more and more minutes. As I said, it's already happening.

Your point is taken, but I think it’s fair to say that if Painter spends countless hours watching players, hosting visits, doing in-homes, etc., he wants them too. It’s not as if fans are making up recruiting misses just to tear down the coach while ranting online.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Your point is taken, but I think it’s fair to say that if Painter spends countless hours watching players, hosting visits, doing in-homes, etc., he wants them too. It’s not as if fans are making up recruiting misses just to tear down the coach while ranting online.
And you aren't wrong, but there are more recruits out there that can fit the need. Maybe not as an instant impact, but we won't know until they play.

What people forget that in the end it is a 17 or 18 year old making the decision, not Painter and he can't FORCE them to come to Purdue.

I would love to know why we are not a program of choice...even after 31 WINS!!!!!
Straight from the players mouth....would be a great project. Cannot solve a problem until we find out what the problem is.

the problem is Painter. This isn't hard. He is the face of the program, and the face dictates that perception more than anything.

The "Play Hard" and "Defense Lives Here" mantras certainly don't help sell the program to 17/18 year old kids either.

My bad! He’s landed ONE top 25 recruit in what 13 years as HC? No, unless he’s able to land an elite recruit or two then nothing will change for the foreseeable future. Borderline NCAA team and middle of the pack Big10 team. No one coming on board is going to lead Purdue basketball to the promise land I can guarantee you that. Why can all these other schools land big time elite recruits but Purdue can’t?

the problem is Painter. This isn't hard. He is the face of the program, and the face dictates that perception more than anything.

The "Play Hard" and "Defense Lives Here" mantras certainly don't help sell the program to 17/18 year old kids either.
I honestly don’t think either of those slogans are the content of Painter’s recruiting discussions with high school kids. You seem like you read them off the walls near the gym and think that is what we are trying to sell. I know that’s not the case. The fact is that neither you nor I know what is being said. What ever it is, it has worked for some kids but not others. We have 3 really good players coming in next year, so there is some level of success.

Now, I would really like to know what caused some of these recruits to choose the schools they did. What made the last two guys pick MSU and Arizona respectively. I am sure the staff asked and got answers, but those are not available to the general public like you and me. Wish I knew what the deal was.

As far as recruiting goes, painter has consistently landed a 4 star player and always quality 3 star players. What other basketball or football coach can make the same claim?

As far as being a borderline NCAA tourney team, only 64-68 teams make the dance. How many other teams have made it more than Painter?

And as far as last year's team, yes they did over achieve during the regular season. There were a couple of games they could have lost and their win total could have been closer to 25 wins. They caught a couple of breaks along the way. I didn't hear anybody complaining about the win total. Actually I did. There were people here who voiced there complaints after every loss last year. The coach wins 30 games and people here still wanted him fired because Purdue didn't make the final 4. One would suspect you bet your entire 401k plan on Purdue winning a national championship.

Why not just sit back, relax and enjoy some basketball? And stop calling Purdue fans assholes!

"Big Ten assistants rank the best jobs in the conference"
https://watchstadium.com/news/big-t...k-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-11-2018/

6. Purdue (68) – The Boilermakers have gone to the Final Four twice – in 1969 and 1980. Matt Painter has taken them to the Sweet 16 four times in his tenure, and found a way to keep the program nationally relevant for the most part since taking over in 2005, but hasn’t been able to get them past the Sweet 16.

Where they win: “They are always pretty good, so I’d say tradition, I guess. I also think they are in a good location in that you can drive to Indy, Chicago and even St. Louis and Ohio to get players.” – Big Ten assistant

The knock: “The city of West Lafayette. It’s just … not very good.” – Big Ten assistant

Location, location, location... and we are academically strict on athletes. Not unreasonably so, but if you are a 5-star recruit who thinks he will jump to NBA next year, you just care about how much fun you have. I love Purdue but let's be honest; we are just not a fun school.

Reactions: DickPepperfield
Nope! I spent way too many Friday nights in the basement of the math science building trying to get my Fortran program to work. Then I would spend my Saturday's at the library reading my textbooks and doing research. Then I used my Sundays reading my textbooks some more. Then I used my spring breaks studying rather than going to Florida. In between I worked 20 hours a week to be able to pay my dorm fees. There was never any time for fun. Purdue is NOT a fun school.

Reactions: mathboy
Nope! I spent way too many Friday nights in the basement of the math science building trying to get my Fortran program to work. Then I would spend my Saturday's at the library reading my textbooks and doing research. Then I used my Sundays reading my textbooks some more. Then I used my spring breaks studying rather than going to Florida. In between I worked 20 hours a week to be able to pay my dorm fees. There was never any time for fun. Purdue is NOT a fun school.
You almost triggered an anxiety attack mentioning FORTRAN.

Reactions: mathboy
Good Lord that sounded familiar! Fortran.... on Hollerith cards... oh crud that is scary. I used to draw a diagonal line across the top just in case...

Had to develop hidden line algorithms for the single CRT connected to the CDC6600. Rotate the cube and hide the lines that the cube would obscure. Then there was LISP. Ugh!

I poached these numbers from someone else in another thread, so my apologies. These are recruiting rankings by year. And they tell an accurate story of what Purdue really is, which is a top 40 to 50 program who sometimes keeps good players for 4 years and overachieves occasionally. Then when that class graduates, the program goes back to its natural level of top 40 or 50. The only class that was truly capable of making a Final Four/national championship run was his 2007 class, which is why he's been a coach here for as long as he has.

2017- 34
2016- 100+ (1 recruit in carsen)
2015- 37
2014- 33
2013- 28
2012- 16
2011- 92
2010- 37
2009- 100+
2008- 100+
2007- 6

ADVERTISEMENT