ADVERTISEMENT

Why isn't Boudreaux Playing more minutes at the 4?

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
All our players bring something to the game but when one player gets more minutes then someone else gets less.

I know its a small sample size but so far Grady is averaging 26 minutes per game. Third most on the team behind Carsen and Cline. Grady does some nice things that don't show up on the stat sheet but compare those minutes to the 18 mpg for both Haarms and Boudreaux (EB). I know Boudreaux is backing up Haarms but if Boudreaux backed up Haarms and played some minutes at the 4 (his natural position) the minutes between the three could even out. I would argue that in the long run we may be a better team if Boudreaux and Haarms both get more minutes but I know that is debatable.

As far as stats go looking at scoring and rebounding per 40 minutes for our big guys (out of our 9 man rotation).

Scoring
Haarms 2nd
Boudreaux 3rd
Wheeler 6th
Eifert 8th

Rebounding
Boudreaux 1st
Haarms 2nd
Wheeler 3rd
Eifert 5th

Reactions: hoosierdog1
All our players bring something to the game but when one player gets more minutes then someone else gets less.

I know its a small sample size but so far Grady is averaging 26 minutes per game. Third most on the team behind Carsen and Cline. Grady does some nice things that don't show up on the stat sheet but compare those minutes to the 18 mpg for both Haarms and Boudreaux (EB). I know Boudreaux is backing up Haarms but if Boudreaux backed up Haarms and played some minutes at the 4 (his natural position) the minutes between the three could even out. I would argue that in the long run we may be a better team if Boudreaux and Haarms both get more minutes but I know that is debatable.

As far as stats go looking at scoring and rebounding per 40 minutes for our big guys (out of our 9 man rotation).

Scoring
Haarms 2nd
Boudreaux 3rd
Wheeler 6th
Eifert 8th

Rebounding
Boudreaux 1st
Haarms 2nd
Wheeler 3rd
Eifert 5th

Because, as we've gone over in the past, Grady brings things to the court that aren't reflected in the stats. Grady is also a better perimeter defender than EB, which is necessary given the mobility of most 4s. If Tre develops into an effective back-up at the 5, coach may be more likely to play EB and Haarms together, but I doubt that happens this season.

The broken record of posters overly critical of Eifert is going to get old on this board.

Reactions: Do Dah Day and BBG

Scoring
Haarms 2nd
Boudreaux 3rd
Wheeler 6th
Eifert 8th

Rebounding
Boudreaux 1st
Haarms 2nd
Wheeler 3rd
Eifert 5th
I think it’s mostly his perimeter defense. I actually think that Haarms is better suited to guard the 4 position right now than EB.

Because, as we've gone over in the past, Grady brings things to the court that aren't reflected in the stats. Grady is also a better perimeter defender than EB, which is necessary given the mobility of most 4s. If Tre develops into an effective back-up at the 5, coach may be more likely to play EB and Haarms together, but I doubt that happens this season.

The broken record of posters overly critical of Eifert is going to get old on this board.

Again, No negativity. If one guy plays more minutes, someone else plays less. I didn't say anything negative about Grady, I put up some stats, conceded that Grady does some of the intangibles and said I hoped the minutes evened out.

I guess at the beginning of the year if you said Grady would start I wouldn't have been shocked but if you told me he'd get more minutes than Haarms, I would have been surprised.

Scoring
Haarms 2nd
Boudreaux 3rd
Wheeler 6th
Eifert 8th

Rebounding
Boudreaux 1st
Haarms 2nd
Wheeler 3rd
Eifert 5th

It's early. There will be some games where it will be ok defensively to play Haarms and Boudreaux together. Unfortunately, most of the time they will both need to stay at the 5 or they will get lost on D against quicker players.

I think if anyone takes more of Eiferts minutes it will be Wheeler if he continues to improve. He just needs more experience right now.

Eifert just needs to settle in. If he can hit more of those wide open 3's he missed last night, his value will increase exponentially. I think he can.He'll be a nice glue guy for this young team.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
As others have said, it's early. Painter & Co. chart efficiencies & the effectiveness of different lineup combos in games & practice. If data emerges that points to a change being beneficial, I'm sure they'll give it a try.

I think if anyone takes more of Eiferts minutes it will be Wheeler if he continues to improve. He just needs more experience right now.

I would guess the same. It might have just been related to Grady's 1st half fouls, but Wheeler did start the 2nd half against BSU.

I'm sure CMP is noticing how good EB is playing. It might be an option in the future. We'll have to wait and see when the opportunity comes up whether EB has the quickness on defense.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Sorry but I haven't bought into the Grady love fest. I understand Evan has to save his minutes to back up Haarms. I was hoping either Dow or Tre could provide those minutes and allow Evan to stay at the 4!

Reactions: PaBoiler78
Sorry but I haven't bought into the Grady love fest. I understand Evan has to save his minutes to back up Haarms. I was hoping either Dow or Tre could provide those minutes and allow Evan to stay at the 4!
I’d like to see Tre get more minutes. He’s really active on the boards and has a nose for the ball. I think it’s just a matter of experience and adjusting to the speed of D1 where he’s no longer the biggest guy on the floor.

I think it’s mostly his perimeter defense. I actually think that Haarms is better suited to guard the 4 position right now than EB.
I have read this thought about EB's perimeter D many times but am not sure why. Watching the games I haven't seen EB get beat by anyone he has switched off on and his help D has looked solid. I haven't seen any practices so can't comment there. What evidence makes folks think Eifert is better guarding the 4? I gotta think when we get to conference play the 4's will be bigger and stronger. EB is definitely better at scoring and rebounding....

Hoping vs. delivering. That's why Grady is getting his minutes. He's a smart, tough player who knows what Painter wants to accomplish. None of the new guys do yet.

Again, No negativity. If one guy plays more minutes, someone else plays less. I didn't say anything negative about Grady, I put up some stats, conceded that Grady does some of the intangibles and said I hoped the minutes evened out.

I guess at the beginning of the year if you said Grady would start I wouldn't have been shocked but if you told me he'd get more minutes than Haarms, I would have been surprised.
Without analyzing the data, some of the playing time discrepancies may be the foul situation. Both Haarms and Evan play aggressive D. It seems that when a big picks up 2 fouls in a short time, he gets subbed out.

Scoring
Haarms 2nd
Boudreaux 3rd
Wheeler 6th
Eifert 8th

Rebounding
Boudreaux 1st
Haarms 2nd
Wheeler 3rd
Eifert 5th
I totally agree with you.EB is a beast on the boards!

It's early. There will be some games where it will be ok defensively to play Haarms and Boudreaux together. Unfortunately, most of the time they will both need to stay at the 5 or they will get lost on D against quicker players.

Eifert just needs to settle in. If he can hit more of those wide open 3's he missed last night, his value will increase exponentially. I think he can.He'll be a nice glue guy for this young team.
Great insight ...

ADVERTISEMENT