ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Purdue getting worse offensively?

hamcoboiler

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 29, 2013
Early in the season Purdue had a top 20 offense (adjusted for possessions). Since that time they just keep getting worse. Currently they have 61st rated offense, which matches where they finished the previous season. Here are some reasons they should be better:
  • 3PT Shooting - This team is shooting 35.6% from 3. Last season the team shot 32.7%
  • Hammons - Career Highs in Avg. Points, Rebounds, Assists, FG% & FT% (side note: he has had an incredible career, it is awesome how much he has improved year over year)
  • Edwards - 3PT% is up, Scoring is up, Rebounds and Assists are all up.
A few other notes:
  • Purdue is 7-5 when Davis takes less than 8 FG Attempts. When he takes 8 or more, they are 10-1. He is the best perimeter defender but he has to show up on offense as well. Oddly enough he is shooting less than last year. Might be worth it to run some high pick and roll for him tonight to get him going to the rim.
  • Edwards is having a good year, but his overall FG% is down (48% to 43%). I think the position change is the reason. He went from using his quickness against 4’s to being guarded by 3’s. Instead of getting to the rim he is taking more shots outside.
  • It feels like Purdue has three future pros in Hammons, Haas & Swanigan. I think all 3 should be playing the 5. Swanigan will be a 4 in the pros, but he looks more comfortable on the block right now as opposed to facing up.

Other than the obvious things like scouting reports and strength of schedule, a lot of it is turnovers and shot selection.

Just a guess, but being ranked the same this year as last probably means we have improved. Haven't all offensive stats gone up nationwide this year?

Early in the season Purdue had a top 20 offense (adjusted for possessions). Since that time they just keep getting worse. Currently they have 61st rated offense, which matches where they finished the previous season. Here are some reasons they should be better:
  • 3PT Shooting - This team is shooting 35.6% from 3. Last season the team shot 32.7%
  • Hammons - Career Highs in Avg. Points, Rebounds, Assists, FG% & FT% (side note: he has had an incredible career, it is awesome how much he has improved year over year)
A few other notes:
  • Purdue is 7-5 when Davis takes less than 8 FG Attempts. When he takes 8 or more, they are 10-1. He is the best perimeter defender but he has to show up on offense as well. Oddly enough he is shooting less than last year. Might be worth it to run some high pick and roll for him tonight to get him going to the rim.
  • Edwards is having a good year, but his overall FG% is down (48% to 43%). I think the position change is the reason. He went from using his quickness against 4’s to being guarded by 3’s. Instead of getting to the rim he is taking more shots outside.
  • It feels like Purdue has three future pros in Hammons, Haas & Swanigan. I think all 3 should be playing the 5. Swanigan will be a 4 in the pros, but he looks more comfortable on the block right now as opposed to facing up.
Why are you here?

A lot of teams are struggling on offense right now. its getting toward the end of the season and teams are banged up. The B1G is a physical conference and kids get worn down. Teams are also starting to see teams a 2nd time and are scouted well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz
A few other notes:
There you go... let Davis take the first nine shots. After that, he can penetrate and pitch to Kendall for his 8 for 10 on 3's breakout game!

It's simple. We don't have the one guy who is a consistent 3 pt shooting threat. Tonight, we kind of traded 2 pt shots vs IU hitting 3 pt shots. Purdue needs a guy who can shoot beyond 21 ft.

I hate to be that guy, but our offense was quite good tonight, and significantly better than IU's. Shot 58.7% overall (IU shot 47.5%), 47.4% from 3 (IU shot 42.9%), and had more assists than IU (19 to their 14). The question you really should be asking is how we were TIED with IU in rebounds. The difference in the game was rebounding and turnovers, IU simply had more possessions. If they rebounded like they were capable of doing, Purdue walks out of ASS hall with a W.

I hate to be that guy, but our offense was quite good tonight, and significantly better than IU's. Shot 58.7% overall (IU shot 47.5%), 47.4% from 3 (IU shot 42.9%), and had more assists than IU (19 to their 14). The question you really should be asking is how we were TIED with IU in rebounds. The difference in the game was rebounding and turnovers, IU simply had more possessions. If they rebounded like they were capable of doing, Purdue walks out of ASS hall with a W.
Purdue is garbage. Outplayed in every area. Just a poor team and that's why they are down with the northwesterns and Nebraskas of the big ten.

Purdue is garbage. Outplayed in every area. Just a poor team and that's why they are down with the northwesterns and Nebraskas of the big ten.
I see facts escape you, which is no big surprise since you're probably a trailer park loser who didn't even go to IU. I'll thoroughly enjoy watching Iowa pummel IU in Iowa City and clinch the B10 title. Enjoy the easy schedule this year, and good luck in the BTT where you will have to actually beat good teams on a neutral court.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I see facts escape you, which is no big surprise since you're probably a trailer park loser who didn't even go to IU. I'll thoroughly enjoy watching Iowa pummel IU in Iowa City and clinch the B10 title. Enjoy the easy schedule this year, and good luck in the BTT where you will have to actually beat good teams on a neutral court.
Well your opinion on Iowa means nothing considering you guys all talked about how you'd run over IU. You lost credibility as IU was waxing that ass. And I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the pathetic crying from you championship deprived fools.

Well your opinion on Iowa means nothing considering you guys all talked about how you'd run over IU. You lost credibility as IU was waxing that ass. And I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the pathetic crying from you championship deprived fools.
I don't know anyone that thought they were going to run over IU, and I wouldn't call a 4 point (really, a 2 point) win at home an "ass waxing".

I don't know anyone that thought they were going to run over IU, and I wouldn't call a 4 point (really, a 2 point) win at home an "ass waxing".
You trailed by double digits the entire game. They let off the gas. It gets boring when your so much better than someone you just lose focus. I know it stings backing a team that's never won anything. Hopefully you wake up feeling better tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT