ADVERTISEMENT

Why is it taking so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fansince72

Senior
Apr 3, 2017
I thought that the Mueller investigation took a little too long, why is it taking so long to audit Pres.Trump's taxes? It's embarrassing that POTUS is being audited 2 YEARS into his term , by the IRS.

Maybe I'm wrong but don't you think this is a little odd? I'm no expert on government, but doesn't the IRS fall under the executive branch of government? How long does it take to audit someone's taxes? I think I heard Mr. Trump say that he has been audited at least 10 yrs.

If that is true can't someone in the administration do something to end this embarrassment. I mean for God sake , he's the president of the United States. Why is he being audited at all?

Reactions: Bill4411
I thought that the Mueller investigation took a little too long, why is it taking so long to audit Pres.Trump's taxes? It's embarrassing that POTUS is being audited 2 YEARS into his term , by the IRS.

Maybe I'm wrong but don't you think this is a little odd? I'm no expert on government, but doesn't the IRS fall under the executive branch of government? How long does it take to audit someone's taxes? I think I heard Mr. Trump say that he has been audited at least 10 yrs.

If that is true can't someone in the administration do something to end this embarrassment. I mean for God sake , he's the president of the United States. Why is he being audited at all?
You assume he's telling the truth. History says otherwise.

There's obviously something in there he doesn't want public. Could be something, could just be he doesn't want people to see he's not as wealthy as he says.

It is important to him for whatever reason.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-new-irs-chief-counsel-tax-return-questions-2019-4

I don't claim to know whether Pres. Trump is or has recently been audited by IRS.
I am aware that apparently IRS does and has performed an annual limited audit of the current President since the Nixon tax issue.
I additionally tend to disbelieve the current President's implied assertion of being under a continual audit since there are significant limitations on repetitive audits in the absence of significant findings of impropriety. See https://www.calt.iastate.edu/what-irs-considers-determining-whether-audit-considered-repetitive
Even if he actually had been subject to repeated audits, they certainly wouldn't be all ongoing.
Thus, I call BS on his claim.
And yes, I know that I am biased in regard to his truthtelling, but still am incredulous at his claim.

Are you serious with this?

Yes I find it very odd that someone, let alone our president , would be under IRS audit for that long of span.

Yes I find it very odd that someone, let alone our president , would be under IRS audit for that long of span.

First of all, like most everything else when it comes to him, he’s probably lying.

It’s not uncommon for corporations to be under continual audits that stretch over a couple of years for one tax year. Not so sure about people, although if there is a lot of back and forth with the irs it’s not out of the realm. Plus, it’s the government so nothing is fast.

I’d put money on him lying though. That’s all he does.

It’s not uncommon for corporations to be under continual audits that stretch over a couple of years for one tax year. Not so sure about people, although if there is a lot of back and
Thank you . I'm not a business man nor have I ever been audited. I was not aware that those audits could take that long.

I don't claim to know whether Pres. Trump is or has recently been audited by IRS.
I am aware that apparently IRS does and has performed an annual limited audit of the current President since the Nixon tax issue.
I additionally tend to disbelieve the current President's implied assertion of being under a continual audit since there are significant limitations on repetitive audits in the absence of significant findings of impropriety. See https://www.calt.iastate.edu/what-irs-considers-determining-whether-audit-considered-repetitive
Even if he actually had been subject to repeated audits, they certainly wouldn't be all ongoing.
Thus, I call BS on his claim.
And yes, I know that I am biased in regard to his truthtelling, but still am incredulous at his claim.

I can believe he's been audited continuously for a decade.
Have you ever been audited? They always add something to their list.
I once supplied all contracts, payments and collections for a project, broken down by specific line item, and was also asked to supply all e mail transactions. It never stops.
I'm sure my taxes are like a 1040 EZ form compared to his.

He’s lying, it’s simple as that. Mulvaney all but admitted it recently saying that Trump could release his returns and people elected him anyway without seeing them.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
Well why couldn't he just release the 2 yrs returns while he's been president? Surely he is not being audited for those 2 yrs.

I agree. I don't understand why he simply does not release some of his tax returns as they are certainly not all "under audit". It does make me wonder why he doesn't and frankly, makes me very curious.

I agree. I don't understand why he simply does not release some of his tax returns as they are certainly not all "under audit". It does make me wonder why he doesn't and frankly, makes me very curious.
Why do you even care? There is no requirement for a President to release tax returns, Would you want your private financial information shown and exposed for the entire world to see? I wouldn't. It's nobody's business but Trump and his family.

I personally wouldn't mind if my tax returns were made public. Matter of fact my coworkers talk about their returns along with myself all the time. Especially this time of year. Of course I'm not , nor do I want to be, a representative or public figure. My personal opinion is that all lawmakers and public servants should be required to show their tax returns,

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Why do you even care? There is no requirement for a President to release tax returns, Would you want your private financial information shown and exposed for the entire world to see? I wouldn't. It's nobody's business but Trump and his family.

Maybe he shouldn’t have said he was going to release them. Yet another lie. Shocking.

Reactions: BuilderBob6

Well, because I'd prefer to know if the president has conflicts of interest and/or is beholden to foreign debt. Those feel like table stakes to me, but maybe I'm just crazy

I personally wouldn't mind if my tax returns were made public. Matter of fact my coworkers talk about their returns along with myself all the time. Especially this time of year. Of course I'm not , nor do I want to be, a representative or public figure. My personal opinion is that all lawmakers and public servants should be required to show their tax returns,
Many private companies don't want workers talking about they salaries with other employees. I was ripped for doing so years ago. Putting out ones tax return is no one's business, it's between you and the IRS.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Normally when you file your tax return to the IRS, if you do something wrong they contact you. As long as you pay, they leave you alone. If you do something illegal, they contact you and you pay what they say plus a penalty. If Trump had done something wrong, they would have contacted him before. All they want now is to find something that was already declared legal and call it illegal. Plus they want to say he is not worth what he says he is. This is a witch hunt and they do not want him to serve another term. I would love to see Pelosi, Schumer, Waters returns. Might as well make it mandatory to provide tax returns if anyone runs for any office.

Normally when you file your tax return to the IRS, if you do something wrong they contact you. As long as you pay, they leave you alone. If you do something illegal, they contact you and you pay what they say plus a penalty. If Trump had done something wrong, they would have contacted him before. All they want now is to find something that was already declared legal and call it illegal. Plus they want to say he is not worth what he says he is. This is a witch hunt and they do not want him to serve another term. I would love to see Pelosi, Schumer, Waters returns. Might as well make it mandatory to provide tax returns if anyone runs for any office.

I am not sure what you mean by “if you do something illegal . . .” What constitutes “illegal”? I inadvertently left something off one of my tax returns and was not contacted for an audit until a few years later. If instead of an error I had deliberately left something off that would be “illegal” but how would the IRS know until I showed up for the audit? (I actually got $$ back from audit)

He’s not going to release them because he doesn’t gain anything by doing so. His base believes his word blindly, that’s all he needs

You think this is about Trump cheating on his taxes? Oy vey.

You think this is about Trump cheating on his taxes? Oy vey.
Not sure that he “cheated” as his tax people probably were able to use every loophole in the tax code so he paid little or nothing in taxes, I am curious to know if he paid less than I did! Personally I think he earns/has less than he says he does and it’s a vanity issue for him. Of course, it may be something else but what? Other presidents (rich and not so rich) released their tax returns so what is different with him. Ideas?

Reactions: Fansince72
Not sure that he “cheated” as his tax people probably were able to use every loophole in the tax code so he paid little or nothing in taxes, I am curious to know if he paid less than I did! Personally I think he earns/has less than he says he does and it’s a vanity issue for him. Of course, it may be something else but what? Other presidents (rich and not so rich) released their tax returns so what is different with him. Ideas?

I would bet Trump pays more in taxes than all of us knuckleheads combined. Property and payroll alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT