ADVERTISEMENT

Why I can't stand Texas

Old Gold n Black

True Freshman
Nov 24, 2003
Texas beat West Virginia tonight 69-61. Of those 69 points, 45 of those points were scored by 5th year seniors...guys who otherwise should have graduated and moved on if not for the ridiculous "extra Covid year". Texas has six seniors on the team, four of which who are super seniors. Seeing these grown men still playing ball against younger guys just pisses me off something special.

Totally agree and can't wait until that is over. It's actually a testament to Purdue's success and where Painter has the program nationally the past 2 years without really taking advantage of it.

Without super seniors Purdue wins the B1G last year (No Davidson for Wisky) and who knows what NCAA looks like without those guys inserted. Not making excuses though, as St Peters was unacceptable and could have still happened with last year's guys.

Here's to Uncle Dave having a Ryan Cline NCAA run this year to give the rest of college basketball a taste of their own medicine.

Texas beat West Virginia tonight 69-61. Of those 69 points, 45 of those points were scored by 5th year seniors...guys who otherwise should have graduated and moved on if not for the ridiculous "extra Covid year". Texas has six seniors on the team, four of which who are super seniors. Seeing these grown men still playing ball against younger guys just pisses me off something special.
Just reading this, I assume that they are similar to IU and that someone is paying the players a lot of NIL money.

Penn St is loaded with super seniors too. You hate them?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Same rules for everybody.

Penn St is loaded with super seniors too. You hate them?
"Hate" is your word, not mine. So what do I think of Penn State? The same of any team not named Purdue.

But getting back to Texas, there are plenty of other reasons to strongly dislike that team...

Super Sr rule should have been a 1 year deal, having said that ND has a lot of them and they’re horrible, just because they’re older doesn’t mean they’re better. Like was said, same rules for everyone, not sure I’d hate a kid or team taking advantage of a legal thing.

Blame the system, not the players.

Wouldn’t you want to play basketball at the highest level as long as you could?

Reactions: drewjin
Blame the system, not the players.

Wouldn’t you want to play basketball at the highest level as long as you could?
Yep, I got nothing against a kid working on a masters taking advantage of a Covid year, sort of surprised Sasha didn’t take advantage of it. If not at Purdue somewhere else, he would have been a great fit somewhere.

My dislike of UT goes deeper - it's their arrogance, their assumption that they should always be the best because, by god, they're "Texas". Somewhat like IU - I love the states but dislike both namesake universities for similar reasons.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The athletes who were hurt by this were seniors when seasons were cancelled. The NCAA granted the Covid year to the fresmen, sophmores, and juniors, but not the seniors.

Totally agree and can't wait until that is over. It's actually a testament to Purdue's success and where Painter has the program nationally the past 2 years without really taking advantage of it.

Without super seniors Purdue wins the B1G last year (No Davidson for Wisky) and who knows what NCAA looks like without those guys inserted. Not making excuses though, as St Peters was unacceptable and could have still happened with last year's guys.

Here's to Uncle Dave having a Ryan Cline NCAA run this year to give the rest of college basketball a taste of their own medicine.
I've had this exact same thought for the last 2 years, but it seems like nobody has mentioned it. I think Purdue got pretty unlucky the past few years as a younger, homegrown team that hasn't benefitted from the 5th year rule, instant transfer rule, or the new NIL stuff.

I think that a big reason why Purdue might have seemed to underperform expectations last year was related to all of this. Surely, they win the big ten if you take away Davison and pretty much the entire Illinois lineup. It's also extremely unlikely that Kofi is there without the NIL rule change. Purdue is likely a 1 seed when you look back on how just about every team above them was getting a lot of impact from players who would have been ineligible during the first 100 years of college basketball. Almost every game lost was within one possession, so who knows how many more wins occur if you take away 1+ starter from most teams.

With that being said, Purdue has had the time and opportunity to take advantage of these rules now that it has been a few years, and didn't lose in the tournament due to being underseeded. But I do think it's an interesting topic of conversation and will be an advantage to the program when the rule finishes. Just looking at the Big Ten, most of the top players would either be ineligible to play or probably would have left without NIL: TJD, Dickinson, Shannon, Mayer, Pickett, Jahmir Young, etc.

I think a lot of teams are going to have a reality check when this whole crop of Jeff Settles flushes out of the system.
I mean I’m 40 and feel like Carr was starting his freshman year at Pitt when I was a senior. Or was that Davison at Whisky?

Newman and Gillis are both potential fourth year sophomores, right?

ADVERTISEMENT