ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn’t Danny Hope and Darrell Hazel work out at Purdue

giphy.gif

Neither ever got the QB position right. Hope’s teams were pretty good everywhere but QB.

Hazell’s Teams were just bad. I don’t even know why they never got to be competitive. They weren’t. He never got any of the phases of the game right.

DH1 was 10x the coach as DH2. Danny had very little to work with in terms of resources, whether it was facilities, staff salaries, or recruiting budget. Darrell had more support but was in over his head. He had one winning season in the MAC, where he rode one of the best athletes in MAC history to 10 wins. Teaming up with Shoop sealed his fate.

DH1 was 10x the coach as DH2. Danny had very little to work with in terms of resources, whether it was facilities, staff salaries, or recruiting budget. Darrell had more support but was in over his head. He had one winning season in the MAC, where he rode one of the best athletes in MAC history to 10 wins. Teaming up with Shoop sealed his fate.
Yeah, Danny was doomed from the start, and I’ll leave it at that...

Reactions: Inspector100
DH1 = DH2 x 10 = Mediocre D1 coach x 0.5

Yeah, Danny was doomed from the start, and I’ll leave it at that...

to be fair though.. when people like Albert Evans ask “well you know what’s the difference between hope and brohm”..the answer is simple. Whether you believe they if Danny was urban Meyer, he still couldn’t have done it...if Danny hope was bringing in the recruits like brohm, one could argue there is very little difference (other than hope playing SE Missouri state and Indiana state and other garbage OOCs and brohm really hasn’t).

to be fair though.. when people like Albert Evans ask “well you know what’s the difference between hope and brohm”..the answer is simple. Whether you believe they if Danny was urban Meyer, he still couldn’t have done it...if Danny hope was bringing in the recruits like brohm, one could argue there is very little difference (other than hope playing SE Missouri state and Indiana state and other garbage OOCs and brohm really hasn’t).
Sorry, not sure what you’re trying to say here.

Sorry, not sure what you’re trying to say here.

while it’s true that he was doomed from the start .,I don’t like when people ask what they be difference between him and brohm is. Danny didn’t suck but brohm is a step up. I thought letting Danny go was the right move . If he was bringing in cats like George and bell, not only would it have been the wrong move.. it probably wouldn’t have happened

while it’s true that he was doomed from the start .,I don’t like when people ask what they be difference between him and brohm is. Danny didn’t suck but brohm is a step up. I thought letting Danny go was the right move . If he was bringing in cats like George and bell, not only would it have been the wrong move.. it probably wouldn’t have happened
That’s sort of my point tho: you’re not bringing in many guys like Bell and George with the lack of commitment to the program that Hope was saddled with.

That’s sort of my point tho: you’re not bringing in many guys like Bell and George with the lack of commitment to the program that Hope was saddled with.

meh that’s kinda like when someone would compare a player to Jordan in basketball debates and then bringing up excuses for why they didn’t win.. as if that’s like they won. Ron zook recruited at Illinois.

meh that’s kinda like when someone would compare a player to Jordan in basketball debates and then bringing up excuses for why they didn’t win.. as if that’s like they won. Ron zook recruited at Illinois.
You think Hope had anywhere near the recruiting firepower that Brohm does?

You think Hope had anywhere near the recruiting firepower that Brohm does?

no, but neither did zook. Like I used to tell a lot of Kobe fans who thought he was better than MJ.. excuses for why you didn’t do something will never be as persuasive as actually doing it. Eron Hodges helped brohm land David bell but it didn’t make it this scenario where you just walk backwards and land bell.

but just so you know I liked Danny and think he did a pretty okay to good job. I only get annoyed when his former players act like he’s Jeff brohm ... he wasn’t

no, but neither did zook. Like I used to tell a lot of Kobe fans who thought he was better than MJ.. excuses for why you didn’t do something will never be as persuasive as actually doing it. Eron Hodges helped brohm land David bell but it didn’t make it this scenario where you just walk backwards and land bell.

but just so you know I liked Danny and think he did a pretty okay to good job. I only get annoyed when his former players act like he’s Jeff brohm ... he wasn’t
I think Danny was individually just as good a recruiter as Brohm. But Brohm has better recruiting assistant coaches, bigger support staff, and much better facilities. All of these play a huge role when you are trying to sign 25 top high school prospects.

Read about Alabama’s recruiting operation. It’s not just about Saban. It’s a well oiled machine.

I think Danny was individually just as good a recruiter as Brohm. But Brohm has better recruiting assistant coaches, bigger support staff, and much better facilities. All of these play a huge role when you are trying to sign 25 top high school prospects.

Read about Alabama’s recruiting operation. It’s not just about Saban. It’s a well oiled machine.
There's a reason why Hope hasn't had a head coaching gig since being shown the door at Purdue. He's not head coaching material in a Power 5 conference. I'll agree he didn't get the advantages that Brohm has had. But he in no way, shape, or form is a Power 5 level head coach. He and his wife made that painfully obvious with their not so graceful exit...

There's a reason why Hope hasn't had a head coaching gig since being shown the door at Purdue. He's not head coaching material in a Power 5 conference. I'll agree he didn't get the advantages that Brohm has had. But he in no way, shape, or form is a Power 5 level head coach. He and his wife made that painfully obvious with their not so graceful exit...
My point was that Hope had no chance given the commitment to football at that time. Never said he was as good a coach as Brohm. But there’s no question in my mind that he would have done better under Mitch and Mike than under Cordova and Burke.

but again .. that’s like seeing a guy about to dunk and he gets fouled hard and the ball goes out of bounds.

I think they are correct not to assume that the basket it automatic and make him shoot free throws.

your approach would be to say “he was all alone scrap the free throws and give him the two points.”

Excuses for why hope didn’t don’t mean that he would do those things.

but again .. that’s like seeing a guy about to dunk and he gets fouled hard and the ball goes out of bounds.

I think they are correct not to assume that the basket it automatic and make him shoot free throws.

your approach would be to say “he was all alone scrap the free throws and give him the two points.”

Excuses for why hope didn’t don’t mean that he would do those things.
Do what things? He clearly had no chance to succeed.

You keep bringing up Zook, but he had resources that Hope didn’t.

Last edited:
My point was that Hope had no chance given the commitment to football at that time. Never said he was as good a coach as Brohm. But there’s no question in my mind that he would have done better under Mitch and Mike than under Cordova and Burke.
Anybody would do better under Mitch and Mike than Cordova and Burke. She was a stain on Purdue's history...

Reactions: Inspector100
Hazel hired John Snoop for the offensive coordinator. As a Chicago Bears fan I knew from the get go that Purdue’s offense was going to be jacked up. The Bears had some poor teams in my lifetime, but that Bears offense run by Shoop was one of the worse.

Last edited:
His health issues?

Do what things? He clearly had no chance to succeed.

You keep bringing up Zook, but he had resources that Hope didn’t.

yeah clearly Illinois was the kinda place at the time where you just go out and grab Aurelius Benn. I get it dude, you have been to hope’s house for dinner. You still have no idea what he would have done .. which Is why they make nba players shoot free throws instead of just awarding baskets on fouls.

Albert evans is that you?

ADVERTISEMENT