ADVERTISEMENT

Why cant we Peak going into the tournament vs. November-Dec

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
Last year we beat UNC and Villanova in November, this year Marquette, W.Va,Gonzaga, Duke....and by the time we got to the tournament, we had risen to the level of dysfunctionalism beyond scope , this year we seem "dysfunctional " with exception to a couple. This pattern suggests points a lot to me as the coach who must prepare the team and teach 1) how to handle the press 2) Loyer turning his hand when shooting and he wasn't before 3) correcting players who keep lobbing passes that get intercepted 4) guarding your man in front of him versus off to the side then getting beat to the rim ( see this with Loyer and Morton constantly) 5) Smith over penetrating and nowhere to go -but telegraph his pass, .....these issues seem coachable and little details that could have huge upside dividends....either winning close games or not blowing significant leads to name a couple.?

Last edited:
Last year we beat UNC and Villanova in November, this year Marquette, W.Va,Gonzaga, Duke....and by the time we got to the tournament, we had risen to the level of dysfunctionalism beyond scope , this year we seem "dysfunctional " with exception to a couple. This pattern suggests points a lot to me as the coach who must prepare the team and teach 1) how to handle the press 2) Loyer turning his hand when shooting and he wasn't before 3) correcting players who keep lobbing passes that get intercepted 4) guarding your man in front of him versus off to the side then getting beat to the rim ( see this with Loyer and Morton constantly) 5) Smith over penetrating and nowhere to go -but telegraph his pass, .....these issues seem coachable and little details that could have huge upside dividends.....?

That double teaming when not necessary needs to stop. Needs to be situational, not an about every play deal. Seems to cost them a lot of 3s at inopportune times. If not threes, foul shots on the 3 shooter due to late recovery..... happened twice in last game.

Last edited:
I think the real issue is that opponents get enough tape on our team to figure out how to play us, both offensively and defensively. Second, teams have learned to play together. We seem to start out well coordinated, while others take longer. Games are always closer toward the end of the season because of this.
add in that our backcourt is very, very young, and we will struggle this year. We came out of the gate on fire but have settled into more of what I would have expected us to play like this year.

Last year we beat UNC and Villanova in November, this year Marquette, W.Va,Gonzaga, Duke....and by the time we got to the tournament, we had risen to the level of dysfunctionalism beyond scope , this year we seem "dysfunctional " with exception to a couple. This pattern suggests points a lot to me as the coach who must prepare the team and teach 1) how to handle the press 2) Loyer turning his hand when shooting and he wasn't before 3) correcting players who keep lobbing passes that get intercepted 4) guarding your man in front of him versus off to the side then getting beat to the rim ( see this with Loyer and Morton constantly) 5) Smith over penetrating and nowhere to go -but telegraph his pass, .....these issues seem coachable and little details that could have huge upside dividends....either winning close games or not blowing significant leads to name a couple.?
yea, we have awful coaching, go be an IU fan.

ADVERTISEMENT