ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Left? DC Candidate Wish List

BoilerInChiTown

True Freshman
Oct 5, 2016
I would have thought that Brohm had a candidate or two before firing Diaco but may be he did not. I getting a little worried as the list seems to get shorter everyday. This will be Brohm's most important hire, so he have to get this right.
This was my wish list, some some realistic some not so much. Anyone else you like to see that I'm missing?

Freeman (Cincinnati) --> ND
Clayton White (WKU) --> South Carolina
Don Brown (Michigan) --> Arizona
Travaris Robinson (South Carolina) --> Miami
Mike Elston (ND)
Brock Spack (ISU)
Cort Dennison (Louisville)

I would have thought that Brohm had a candidate or two before firing Diaco but may be he did not. I getting a little worried as the list seems to get shorter everyday. This will be Brohm's most important hire, so he have to get this right.
This was my wish list, some some realistic some not so much. Anyone else you like to see that I'm missing?

Mike Elston (ND)
Brock Spack (ISU)

I am really intrigued by an up and coming coach from Auburn Travis Williams. Has not been a DC yet but has done everything but that.

Reactions: ChuckJr

Mike Elston (ND)
Brock Spack (ISU)
Is the list getting shorter for Brohm though. Highly possible he wasn't interested post interview or didn't interview any of them. He has all the time he needs to get this right.

Mike Elston (ND)
Brock Spack (ISU)
Mike Nolan is available.

Reactions: DAG10

Mike Elston (ND)
Brock Spack (ISU)
Mike Elston - maybe
Brock Spack - he ain't coming
Cort Dennison - why would he leave UofL for Purdue?

Mike Elston (ND)
Brock Spack (ISU)

of that list Dennison all day. We better not end up with another shit show choice like Diaco

Mike Elston - maybe
Brock Spack - he ain't coming
Cort Dennison - why would he leave UofL for Purdue?
A couple of coaches from the MAC Vince Kehres and the coach that spent years with Spack at Ill.State and now the D/C at Miami Ohio Spence Nowinsky

Is the list getting shorter for Brohm though. Highly possible he wasn't interested post interview or didn't interview any of them. He has all the time he needs to get this right.
Same scenario a year ago and he could not have gotten it more wrong...

The fact that he had no apparent plan (again) is concerning as well.

He does indeed need to get it right...I am skeptical at this point that he will, but, I am definitely hopeful.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Same scenario a year ago and he could not have gotten it more wrong...

The fact that he had no apparent plan (again) is concerning as well.

He does indeed need to get it right...I am skeptical at this point that he will, but, I am definitely hopeful.
Had no plan? Based on what he had no plan?

Had no plan? Based on what he had no plan?
I am simply suggesting (and said as much) that there did not seem to be a plan, and, I would base that on the fact that a month after having fired the last DC (who was seemingly stumbled upon as much as anything), there is still no replacement...if there was a plan as to who the next DC would be, it would seem that a hire would have been announced...certainly, with no action a month after the fact, I have a hard time believing that there was a plan, short of firing the guy that should never have been hired and hiring "someone" to replace him ultimately.

I am simply suggesting (and said as much) that there did not seem to be a plan, and, I would base that on the fact that a month after having fired the last DC (who was seemingly stumbled upon as much as anything), there is still no replacement...if there was a plan as to who the next DC would be, it would seem that a hire would have been announced...certainly, with no action a month after the fact, I have a hard time believing that there was a plan, short of firing the guy that should never have been hired and hiring "someone" to replace him ultimately.
Thank you. This is what I posted about one month ago and pissed off the Brohm fans. One rule in coaching is you never fire someone without already having their replacement in line.
The A.D. is also to blame for this.

Thank you. This is what I posted about one month ago and pissed off the Brohm fans. One rule in coaching is you never fire someone without already having their replacement in line.
The A.D. is also to blame for this.

In this case not firing Diaco
Would have cost recruits and current players.

Would have been unwise to wait

Maybe the “someone” is still coaching ?

What's the rush?

Reactions: Riveting
Would you really want to keep Diaco while waiting? I'd prefer to part ways and move to the future even if we're not sure who that future is yet.

Any reason why Anthony Poindexter keeps getting overlooked as a potential DC candidate? Not advocating that he should be but it seems odd he's been here for a while and yet not being mentioned much.

Reactions: Inspector100
What's the rush?
There is no rush necessarily, but, the fact that nobody has been hired would suggest that there was no candidate in mind either...much less that any decision had been made on someone.

That said, with all of the work to be done, the sooner someone is there and can get to work on fixing the things, I would have to think the better.

Reactions: NVboiler
Would you really want to keep Diaco while waiting? I'd prefer to part ways and move to the future even if we're not sure who that future is yet.
I never would have hired Diaco to begin with...that seemed to be the result of no plan a year ago aside of getting somebody new and different...while I could not not have been more happy to have him let go when he was (despite how odd the timing was), after what happened a year ago and resulted in him being hired, I am concerned is all that a month has gone by and there is no replacement...as, it seems to be a lot like what happened a year ago when it was seemingly a case of just getting somebody else, opposed to actually hiring someone of quality...as, Purdue/Brohm desperately needs someone of quality this time, more so because of the failure a year ago.

I never would have hired Diaco to begin with...that seemed to be the result of no plan a year ago aside of getting somebody new and different...while I could not not have been more happy to have him let go when he was (despite how odd the timing was), after what happened a year ago and resulted in him being hired, I am concerned is all that a month has gone by and there is no replacement...as, it seems to be a lot like what happened a year ago when it was seemingly a case of just getting somebody else, opposed to actually hiring someone of quality...as, Purdue/Brohm desperately needs someone of quality this time, more so because of the failure a year ago.
Well we just lost our DL coach to IllAnnoy. Wonder how that plays into the DC a decision.

There is no rush necessarily, but, the fact that nobody has been hired would suggest that there was no candidate in mind either...much less that any decision had been made on someone.

That said, with all of the work to be done, the sooner someone is there and can get to work on fixing the things, I would have to think the better.
They aren't practicing right now, so a new coach isn't going to start right away. Holding onto Diaco until you had someone is suicide. Also, Purdue really has to wait until the schools ahead of/pay way more are filled of there are certain guys they are targeting.

Agree, but the sooner Diaco was sent packing, the faster we actually move on. Keep him while you're lookng and everyone in the program with half a brain is questioning our leadership.

Elston....quite possibly
Haven’t seen one thing linked to Elston other than hearing a word of mouth rumor from someone on this board so not sure how true all that is but it would be a solid pickup because he knows how to coach at the highest level and tbh Purdue needs stability not another gamble like last years hire.

Haven’t seen one thing linked to Elston other than hearing a word of mouth rumor from someone on this board so not sure how true all that is but it would be a solid pickup because he knows how to coach at the highest level and tbh Purdue needs stability not another gamble like last years hire.
Wrong. Both ND media and GBI have said he is play. No one seems to know what the delay is in making an announcement.

Any reason why Anthony Poindexter keeps getting overlooked as a potential DC candidate? Not advocating that he should be but it seems odd he's been here for a while and yet not being mentioned much.

Poindexter would probably be the last option for Brohm, mostly due to the weight this hiring holds. Brohm has to get the defense in order, and this involves snagging a DC that won't be fired after one season like Diaco. Going from Holt to Diaco with little-to-no success was a bad look (obviously), and Brohm cannot strike out on yet another hire.

I said from the start, with the current state of the program, not to expect a 'name' guy to walk through the door. Now even an up-and-comer with WKU connections turns down the job. How many others have declined? Poindexter might end up being the most qualified. Use the war chest to go out and get some solid position coaches.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Fired the D line coach yesterday because Elston will coach them when hired as D Coordinator.
Or... You're hiring Jesse Minter (DB Coach, hence Brown's departure) when the Ravens season is over, and his Dad (Rick) is coming with him to coach the DL.

I said from the start, with the current state of the program, not to expect a 'name' guy to walk through the door. Now even an up-and-comer with WKU connections turns down the job. How many others have declined? Poindexter might end up being the most qualified. Use the war chest to go out and get some solid position coaches.
Give Mike Singletary a call. He might consider it. He’s not doing much coaching in the TSL whatever that seems to be.

ADVERTISEMENT