ADVERTISEMENT

WHOOOOOO!!! Zander Horvath for the HEISMAN, baby!!!!!! N&

Yes, this ongoing practice of trashing our players really needs to stop.

They've earned it, both Horvath and O'Connell.

Horvath with his 2nd straight 100 yard game.

O'Connell outplayed the hyped Iowa QB, Petras.

Those guys belong.
They belong as role players. Horvath is a change of pace runner, not an every down runner. As for O'Connell, this game shouldn't have been this close. He had several really bad throws that could have cost the game. They're both working as hard as they can. But for a coach building a program in year 4, we should have better options at this point.

As for O'Connell, this game shouldn't have been this close. He had several really bad throws that could have cost the game.

You can say that about NFL all pro quarterbacks most games... Mistakes happen.... A more important question is, can he get the job done, especially in crunch time... He did that today. I have a feeling until that no longer happens, he'll retain his job...

They belong as role players. Horvath is a change of pace runner, not an every down runner. As for O'Connell, this game shouldn't have been this close. He had several really bad throws that could have cost the game. They're both working as hard as they can. But for a coach building a program in year 4, we should have better options at this point.

I don't know, he looked like an every down back today. He had a lot of yards after contact, too.

I'd say he's not great at getting to the outside, or breaking open an 80 yard TD run... But he's pretty danged good at getting 4-15 yards up the middle...
I told dad "You could outrun him. I could out run him!" Both if which are flat out lies, but, hey, it's the politico season, so..... He doesn't live off quick cuts, gap vision and bursts of speed, but that doesn't mean he can't show flashes of them all. He does have durability and strength. He gets a block or two up front, and it is, as the godless french say, damage.

They're playing their roles quite well.

You might not like it, but every QB has really bad throws that coulda/shoulda/woulda. Drew Brees d@mn near cost the OSU game on the way to the Rose Bowl.

Another thing you might not like: Every team has strengths and weaknesses, and areas that need to be addressed.

It's absurd to see these guys working their @sses off, improving, and PROVING themselves worthy of being on the field.

My goodness. Stop posting like you can never be happy. You're much better than that.

They're playing their roles quite well.

You might not like it, but every QB has really bad throws that coulda/shoulda/woulda. Drew Brees d@mn near cost the OSU game on the way to the Rose Bowl.

Another thing you might not like: Every team has strengths and weaknesses, and areas that need to be addressed.

It's absurd to see these guys working their @sses off, improving, and PROVING themselves worthy of being on the field.

My goodness. Stop posting like you can never be happy. You're much better than that.
You have your opinions. I have mine. We'll leave it at that.

Yeah, we do, and it's not a good look for you. especially after a win with significant improvement.
Let's look at where there was "significant" improvement. The OL was significantly improved. Horvath looked good in the second half. The WR's were great. The QB was not improved. The run defense was not. And the secondary was definitely not.

Let's look at where there was "significant" improvement. The OL was significantly improved. Horvath looked good in the second half. The WR's were great. The QB was not improved. The run defense was not. And the secondary was definitely not.

Pat, that QB you consistently trash (I know you don't like that, but it's true) just outplayed Iowa's wonder boy recruit. Fact.

The defense adjusted to a really solid Iowa offense. They're not perfect, but we knew there were holes.

I'm stunned (and shouldn't be) that you're unable to enjoy a win like this, something that will surely be the building blocks for the rest of the season.

We know there are strengths. We know there are weaknesses. Every team has them. EVERY team.

Reactions: jindy and MTobin
Pat, that QB you consistently trash (I know you don't like that, but it's true) just outplayed Iowa's wonder boy recruit. Fact.

The defense adjusted to a really solid Iowa offense. They're not perfect, but we knew there were holes.

I'm stunned (and shouldn't be) that you're unable to enjoy a win like this, something that will surely be the building blocks for the rest of the season.

We know there are strengths. We know there are weaknesses. Every team has them. EVERY team.
For goodness sakes, I said I was happy with the win earlier. But there are a lot of weaknesses that need to be shored up if this team wants to see a winning record in Brohm's 4th year.

Reactions: bonefish1
For goodness sakes, I said I was happy with the win earlier. But there are a lot of weaknesses that need to be shored up if this team wants to see a winning record in Brohm's 4th year.
It should be pretty close to perfect for the first game of the year. I would guess it is safe to say we had less weaknesses than Iowa in the first game, which was a border top 25 team.

Reactions: Purdue85
Fire the coaching staff for our walk on's beating a boarder top 25 team!

Thank you for saying a few positive things. The defense made some significant adjustments at half. They are a work in progress but I have hope for their improvement. Who knows who the QB will be later in the year. But he did come through in the end and outplayed the Iowa kid.

The part I liked best was Horvath getting "stronger" and running more effectively in the second half. I am going to say that both he and the O-line were playing better in the second half because the Iowa defensve front seven were wearing down while we were not (as much, at least). In years past it always seemed to be us wearing down in the second half due to poor conditioning and a lack of quality depth. It was nice to be on the other side of that against a quality program that is typically pretty deep and very tough. I think that is a very positive thing to see in the first game of the season.

The part I liked best was Horvath getting "stronger" and running more effectively in the second half. I am going to say that both he and the O-line were playing better in the second half because the Iowa defensve front seven were wearing down while we were not (as much, at least). In years past it always seemed to be us wearing down in the second half due to poor conditioning and a lack of quality depth. It was nice to be on the other side of that against a quality program that is typically pretty deep and very tough. I think that is a very positive thing to see in the first game of the season.

I thought the OL probably has the most improved from last year. In the 2nd half, they opens some running lanes and gave AOc enough time.

Well until you get paid to coach the Boilers you'll just continue to be a wrong thinking whiner.

Reactions: JTH1411
Thank you for saying a few positive things. The defense made some significant adjustments at half. They are a work in progress but I have hope for their improvement. Who knows who the QB will be later in the year. But he did come through in the end and outplayed the Iowa kid.
I agree. The defense was more aggressive in the second half. I would say they learned a few things and will continue to improve. I do give alot of credit for the fact they only gave up 20 points.

Reactions: Beorik
Well until you get paid to coach the Boilers you'll just continue to be a wrong thinking whiner.
Thanks for your stellar input. Thought this was a discussion board where we voice opinions? But I guess you're the judge of what people can say...

This.

His coaches put him in some really questionable situations (we need him North/South every carry, not trying to get the ball on the edge), but still had an impressive performance.
What we need is a duo of running backs where we have Horvath as a north/south runner and another back that can get to the edge. Horvath was extremely effective running north/south in the 2nd half as the OL wore out Iowa's DL. But we'll likely not see that opportunity in the Wisconsin game. I do agree that Horvath is an excellent blocking back in pass protection. Hopefully Doerue will be available for Wisconsin. And not sure why Hewitt or Murphy didn't see any touches yesterday?

What we need is a duo of running backs where we have Horvath as a north/south runner and another back that can get to the edge. Horvath was extremely effective running north/south in the 2nd half as the OL wore out Iowa's DL. But we'll likely not see that opportunity in the Wisconsin game. I do agree that Horvath is an excellent blocking back in pass protection. Hopefully Doerue will be available for Wisconsin. And not sure why Hewitt or Murphy didn't see any touches yesterday?

We can absolutely all have different options and express them respectfully.

I agree that we need a second running back who can give the defense a different look and keep guys fresh. I just think Horvath is good enough to be the primary back.

I am not on the coaching staff so its hard for any of us to answer questions as to why the other rbs didn’t play. If I had to guess it would be pass protection or ball security issues. Running the ball is typically the easiest part of that job and if someone struggles to get on the field it is typically not being good enough in the protection scheme or protecting the ball. I seem to remember reading that Hewitt was struggling with pass protection so maybe that has continued.

Unfortunately you can’t just tip off the defense that you are running if a guy only goes in when you run.

Horvath is never going to be a dynamic running back but if you can continue to get 2-3 yards a carry early in the game he appears to wear down the defense opening the door for the pounding that he did in the second half. He's not going to break away on a 70 yard run but he can be effective if used as yesterday.

Reactions: krf3632
We can absolutely all have different options and express them respectfully.

I agree that we need a second running back who can give the defense a different look and keep guys fresh. I just think Horvath is good enough to be the primary back.

I am not on the coaching staff so its hard for any of us to answer questions as to why the other rbs didn’t play. If I had to guess it would be pass protection or ball security issues. Running the ball is typically the easiest part of that job and if someone struggles to get on the field it is typically not being good enough in the protection scheme or protecting the ball. I seem to remember reading that Hewitt was struggling with pass protection so maybe that has continued.

Unfortunately you can’t just tip off the defense that you are running if a guy only goes in when you run.
Could be as simple as the ability to catch a pass out of the backfield. Watched the replay, and Horvath was available as a bail out option on almost every play. If that's designed and the other guys have seal flippers when it comes to catching, it's a no brainer. Horvath did a lot of good things yesterday that got negated. The long run with the hurdle was killed by the INT. Iowa had us backed up to the 1 and he broke a 10 yarder that we couldn't continue to capitalize on.

Could be as simple as the ability to catch a pass out of the backfield. Watched the replay, and Horvath was available as a bail out option on almost every play. If that's designed and the other guys have seal flippers when it comes to catching, it's a no brainer. Horvath did a lot of good things yesterday that got negated. The long run with the hurdle was killed by the INT. Iowa had us backed up to the 1 and he broke a 10 yarder that we couldn't continue to capitalize on.

Very true. Horvath has really good hands for a big bruising running back.

ADVERTISEMENT