ADVERTISEMENT

Whole lot of arm-chair ADs here

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Jesus. Give our new coach a chance. No one here knows what went on behind the scenes. No one here was present at Walters' interview process. No one here knows who turned it down or was even offered. No one here knows what the plan is for a new OC.

Give this a chance. Please.

I know there had to be a lot of "no, I am not inteerested" behind the scenes responses.

We might as well use the B1G money on the academic side, where we know we can use it wisely, and become every other B1G's homecoming opponent.

I don’t totally disagree with you, but I also hate our fanbases impulse to just trust who the AD hires. I remember how when people brought up Hazel’s issues at the time of hire people were told to give him a chance. Besides, this is a college football message board, insane takes and overreactions should be expected.

Jesus. Give our new coach a chance. No one here knows what went on behind the scenes. No one here was present at Walters' interview process. No one here knows who turned it down or was even offered. No one here knows what the plan is for a new OC.

Give this a chance. Please.
We all have no choice but to give Walters a year or 2 to prove himself.

Hopefully the contract is structured such that we can cut bait if he’s not putting up points and keeping Ross-Ade full.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I trust I won't be giving money this Christmas when they call or spring. East decision.

Not that it matters since big ten money is abundant.

It comes down to winning and being competitive to fill the stands. We were just exposed by Michigan. Do we take a risk and try something different to get to the next level? He hasn’t even had his introduction conference to give hs vision and plans.

Um, no. This hire was a mistake. Not what’s needed. I say memorialize this post for the 2024 season, and when we are looking for a new coach because we can’t move the chains against the big 10 lines and attendance drops to par with IU, let this hire be a warning to never pull that crap again. Stick to seeking out the greatest passing schemer available, or let someone else make the next hire.

It comes down to winning and being competitive to fill the stands. We were just exposed by Michigan. Do we take a risk and try something different to get to the next level? He hasn’t even had his introduction conference to give hs vision and plans.
We scored 27 on Michigan. I thought that was pretty good.

Unless Walters is a lights out recruiter, I don’t see him improving our defense too much. Maybe he is though.

Reactions: purduepat1969
We scored 27 on Michigan. I thought that was pretty good.

Unless Walters is a lights out recruiter, I don’t see him improving our defense too much. Maybe he is though.
Dinking and dunking against their D, right.

Having been a Boiler fan since '64 and a two time graduate I've been disappointed before. I'll grudgingly give the guy two years to keep me interested. Next year will likely be a throwaway since I'm not expecting a Tilleresque first season but by year two we should have a pretty good idea of what we have. Right now I feel like I probably should upgrade my boat for future fall fishing Saturdays.

He "could" be the most successful coach. Fine.

Bobinski should have said, in his press conference, "we will be relying on our unmatched ability to tell the future when selecting the new candidate."

Instead, he said he would be relying on the increased amount of interest from a deep candidate pool of experienced coaches.

If he wanted to take a flyer...he should have said so.

How else are you going to score 27 on them? We’re never going to run the ball on teams like that. Been tried multiple times here.
The key is to also limit their scoring. We’ll see his plans for the offense. I agree that we will need to keep getting high end receivers to maintain what we have done. I am not sure if we can find Rondale Moore and David Bell types every year. I think Mockobee is a good piece to build around early at RB.

Seems like a lot of people here would rather score 50 points and lose than 14 and win
That’s an odd take. I categorically disagree, nobody thinks that. Purdue stands the best chance to win when they can match up offensively with a creative passing attack. When they do that, even if they don’t win, it makes for exciting games. But it also makes it more likely to win at this school in this conference.

The key is to also limit their scoring. We’ll see his plans for the offense. I agree that we will need to keep getting high end receivers to maintain what we have done. I am not sure if we can find Rondale Moore and David Bell types every year. I think Mockobee is a good piece to build around early at RB.
Defense is 95% talent. If he can consistently recruit a lot of great defensive players, then the defense can be better.

Haven’t seen this done at Purdue in my lifetime, but there’s a first time for everything I guess.

You also have to put an entertaining product on the field. I’m not burning an entire Saturday to go watch Bielema-Ball…

Defense is 95% talent. If he can consistently recruit a lot of great defensive players, then the defense can be better.

Haven’t seen this done at Purdue in my lifetime, but there’s a first time for everything I guess.

You also have to put an entertaining product on the field. I’m not burning an entire Saturday to go watch Bielema-Ball…
He was under Bielema only a couple years. I don’t think he is tied to his hip. Who would you rather play for now as a player? Bret or Ryan? Was Ryan the reason for the Illini surge this year? I think so. It wasn’t their offense who choked towards the end of the year.

Reactions: pboiler18
Bobinski is to blame for the reaction. His press conference indicating a coach to take us to the next level and an offensive guy set the table
Morgan said very similar things before he hired hazell. he said Hope was nice but hazell was going to tae us to the next level. I have totally stopped believing anything that comes out of a Purdue AD's mouth.

on a positive side, this means leonhard is still available to become the packers DC ! he's definitely not coming to purdue.

That’s an odd take. I categorically disagree, nobody thinks that. Purdue stands the best chance to win when they can match up offensively with a creative passing attack. When they do that, even if they don’t win, it makes for exciting games. But it also makes it more likely to win at this school in this
That’s an odd take. I categorically disagree, nobody thinks that. Purdue stands the best chance to win when they can match up offensively with a creative passing attack. When they do that, even if they don’t win, it makes for exciting games. But it also makes it more likely to win at this school in this conference.
No one may actually think that, just me being sarcastic over a lot of people complaining the new coach isn’t an offensive coordinator instead of defensive coordinator!

Um, no. This hire was a mistake. Not what’s needed. I say memorialize this post for the 2024 season, and when we are looking for a new coach because we can’t move the chains against the big 10 lines and attendance drops to par with IU, let this hire be a warning to never pull that crap again. Stick to seeking out the greatest passing schemer available, or let someone else make the next hire.
What was needed then?

Bobinski is to blame for the reaction. His press conference indicating a coach to take us to the next level and an offensive guy set the table
Agree 100% with that statement.

Colorado hiring Sanders make our hire look tame and conservative

Sounds like maybe team culture was as important as the new hire's defense/offense pedigree... tying to some of the prior issues or rumors from on/off field last season?

"From an early point in the search process, Coach Walters stood out because of the energy, passion and intelligence he displayed as a defensive coordinator in both the Big Ten Conference and Southeastern Conference. His meteoric rise in the coaching profession is in large part due to his unique ability to connect with his student-athletes as both a coach and mentor. With that in mind, we look forward to the culture and atmosphere of success he and his staff will instill in and around our football program, and we see him as a perfect fit for our University and this community. Please join me in welcoming Ryan, his wife Tara, and their two sons, Aaron and Cason, to West Lafayette." - bobinski

Reactions: drewjin and TX4GB
Defense wins championships
it's my fault. I said I'd rather have wins than a flashy pass happy offense. I said on he day he was hired, hazell was a terrible choice and people called me crazy and said we had to give him 4 years before making a judgement. and we had to see 4 years of his recruiting classes before we could critisiz him or his players. and my account was suspended from posting for being so negative about the coach and the players he recruited.

I hate to repeat myself, but this hire is not what the fans wanted. this hire is not going to put fans in the stands. this hire is not going to bring talent to Purdue. this hire is not going to attract 4/5 stars. hopefully Purdue got him at a discount. I'd hate to believe we paid over $4 mil for him.

we're going to need an OC. is it going to be brian brohm?

I'd like to know who BOBO was trying to hire, and who turned us down.

as I said before, if BOBO had any wisdom as an AD, he knew brohm was going to leave and should have had a short list of candidates already on file to replace him. We all knew Brohm was going to leave. how can an AD not prepare himself for the inevitable? I doubt this guy was on anybody's short list. This is more like a plan E because Plans a-d turned us down.

You can spin it anyway you want. You can be as positive as you want. This was not a big name hire. this was not somebody who is going to elevate the program even higher. This was not even a lateral hire like hiring the WV or ISU coach. This was a reach. this was a panic decision . Purdue could have waited until January to make this decision. a couple of players decommitted and BOBO panicked. those kentucky players were going to decommit regardless of who we hired.

Reactions: Boiler8285
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT