ADVERTISEMENT

Who will Walters bring from Illinois? Predictions

Brohm brought existing players and recruiting commits.

Any updates on who is defecting from Illinois?
I think he'd like to bring Aaron Henry with him. It'll be questionable whether he can make that happen without digging too deep into the salary pool...

There are not that many great recruits at Illinois that are gonna move the needle. But maybe he can grab some good depth from the secondary and LB positions if they start hitting the portal.

I think he'd like to bring Aaron Henry with him. It'll be questionable whether he can make that happen without digging too deep into the salary pool...

There are not that many great recruits at Illinois that are gonna move the needle. But maybe he can grab some good depth from the secondary and LB positions if they start hitting the portal.
they have a commit Antwon Hayden a 4 star LB 6'3 230, I'd like to see him on the team, always need good LB's our's have been underwhelming

Last edited:
Brohm brought about 10-12 players from WKU that were either recruits or players. Hazell brought none.

It will be an obvious indication and measuring stick for his future success!

To be successful at Purdue your head coach needs to be a recruiter!

Reactions: RBryant311
That will be the sign of what's to come. If he doesn't bring anyone I think that doesn't bode well for us.

You can see Brohm having no issue flipping recruits and coaches.

Brohm brought about 10-12 players from WKU that were either recruits or players. Hazell brought none.

It will be an obvious indication and measuring stick for his future success!

To be successful at Purdue your head coach needs to be a recruiter!
Hold on a second, Brohm was the head coach both at WKU and Purdue. Walters was a coordinator at Illinois. Walters might be able to persuade some assistants/players/recruits to come to Purdue, but it doesn't seem reasonable to expect he'll have the same level of influence that the head coach has.

Part of the requirement in hiring him should have been his ability to recruit! If he can’t do that, then there was a fatal flaw as part of the interview process

Hold on a second, Brohm was the head coach both at WKU and Purdue. Walters was a coordinator at Illinois. Walters might be able to persuade some assistants/players/recruits to come to Purdue, but it doesn't seem reasonable to expect he'll have the same level of influence that the head coach has.
Good point but from the defensive prospects I'd be hoping he can pull some.

I can't see him having much success with his lack of experience. The Illini are pretty good, so why would anyone worth their salt want to follow a rookie. He better get a great offensive guru who can recruit.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
I’m guessing he connects with the players better than Mount Bielema.
As long as we are 3*, some 4’s, and a 5 sprinkled in every so often we are far better than hazell and on par with brohm. Awesome coming from illinois because their recruits are similar to what we can get. Wont be sitting there saying,”this is what we did at ohio state, why isnt this working?”

I can't see him having much success with his lack of experience. The Illini are pretty good, so why would anyone worth their salt want to follow a rookie. He better get a great offensive guru who can recruit.
It would most likely be players/recruits who had a particular relationship with Walters--or, maybe just players/recruits who look at Purdue's roster/incoming class and see potential playing time. We'll have to wait and see.

As long as we are 3*, some 4’s, and a 5 sprinkled in every so often we are far better than hazell and on par with brohm. Awesome coming from illinois because their recruits are similar to what we can get. Wont be sitting there saying,”this is what we did at ohio state, why isnt this working?”
Have we had a 5* this millennium? Was GK originally considered one?

GK was a 4 star when we originally started recruiting him. I believe he earned his 5th star after he committed.

We often talk about the assistant coaches as being the best recruiters, and a lot of head coaches just sit back an allow their assistants to do all the work bringing in players. This is what they do at OSU and that was the philosophy hazell had.

brohm was different. Brohm was a more active recruiter than any of his assistants.

I would believe at illinois, Waters was probably a more effective recruiter than Biliemia. One would expect he should be able to flip a couple of the players he coached, or was recruiting.

Reactions: dayhr11
GK was a 4 star when we originally started recruiting him. I believe he earned his 5th star after he committed.

We often talk about the assistant coaches as being the best recruiters, and a lot of head coaches just sit back an allow their assistants to do all the work bringing in players. This is what they do at OSU and that was the philosophy hazell had.

brohm was different. Brohm was a more active recruiter than any of his assistants.

I would believe at illinois, Waters was probably a more effective recruiter than Biliemia. One would expect he should be able to flip a couple of the players he coached, or was recruiting.

Sigh...

Hagen and Shepard (while he was here) were the best recruiters we had.

Reactions: Schnelk
Very, very very unlikely he’s bringing any players or current commits with him.

However, some of the defensive staff will go with him. When Ryan was preparing for hiring season, Bret gave him time off to prepare and interview and they sat down with the rest of the staff and hashed out who should go with Ryan if he was hired as a HC. Bret loves Ryan and has had four coordinators go on to be HCs. It’s the route he took himself, so he sets his guys up for success.

I think Iowa let us have a crazy guy who ended up in jail for beating woman with a hammer. And there was a wide receiver who was underwhelming but had a couple of big games including 240 yds or so against ND.
Oh, yeah, Kyle "Bone Crusher" Williams and Selwyn Lymon. That's going back a ways. Lymon had a few moments, at least.

That will be the sign of what's to come. If he doesn't bring anyone I think that doesn't bode well for us.

You can see Brohm having no issue flipping recruits and coaches.
He was an assistant coach. Likely won’t bring a single person. I don’t expect him to and it’s a sign of nothing at all either way. Smh

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Brohm brought existing players and recruiting commits.

Any updates on who is defecting from Illinois?

While it would be surprising to see some possible assistants, due to what the new DC for the Illini would wish to do.

Very different when a HC moves from one program to another, like Jeff Brohm, Paul Chryst or Scott Frost, when they moved from WKU, Pittsburgh and UCF.

I think Iowa let us have a crazy guy who ended up in jail for beating woman with a hammer. And there was a wide receiver who was underwhelming but had a couple of big games including 240 yds or so against ND.
Speaking of which, Iowa has a WR in the portal right now. Caught 19 passes for 187 yards and a TD this year. Didn't actually look it up, but I assume that makes him the leading reciever on the team. ;)

Part of the requirement in hiring him should have been his ability to recruit! If he can’t do that, then there was a fatal flaw as part of the interview process
are there no experienced head coaches that have proven themselves that would come to PU? We have no idea if he can get qualified assistants yet.

Obviously you are unaware of the nightmarish Hazell recruiting stories where he did in fact go out and recruit...........

Excellent point. How many guys did Lambert take? Or Nick Holt? I’m sure we will get some of the guys to come with but I’m not expecting a mass exodus.

Diaco brought Mitchell, or at least was a big factor. Not really expecting any guys to flip from IL to Purdue. However, I'm hoping Walters can get some of the higher profile guys he was recruiting to jump on board. Harkless out of Lexington would be a great start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT