ADVERTISEMENT

Who is going to get the minutes....

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
Most on this board would agree that Carsen, Cline and Haarms are likely to get their share of minutes this year. After those three the distribution of minutes should be interesting. It may change throughout the year but after the scrimmage and the first game, what are your thoughts on how the minutes will be distributed?

My projections (200 minutes available):

1) Carsen 32 minites
2) Cline 32 minutes
3) Haarms 27 minutes
4) Hunter 22 minutes (he can play the 1&2)
5) EB 22 minutes (he can play the 4&5)
6) Nojel 20 minutes
7) Grady 18 minutes
8) Wheeler 12 minutes
9) Sasha 8 minutes
10) Williams 7 minutes

I agree that Hunter will play a lot (for a freshman). So far it looks like he’s the real deal and might have even been underrated.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
While I agree with your assessment..... I think CMP will play GE a few more minutes than what you have down. For example he got 28 minutes in the F airfield game.

Might be an outlier, but looking @ Fairfield game CMP only played Haarms 17 minutes and SS got 19.

While I agree with your assessment..... I think CMP will play GE a few more minutes than what you have down. For example he got 28 minutes in the F airfield game.

Might be an outlier, but looking @ Fairfield game CMP only played Haarms 17 minutes and SS got 19.

Haarms was in foul trouble most the game so explains the shortage of minutes. I'm sure ideally CMP would like to play Haarms somewhere around ~25mpg but Haarms has to show that he can stay on the floor by not committing dumb fouls.

Last edited:
Nojel will play more than 20 minutes a game. I expect Haarms to play a little less. Agree with the poster who said that Haarms' tendency to get in foul trouble will reduce his minutes.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Eastern's offense needs to pick up or he will be playing less than 20 minutes a game. He can't shoot from 15 ft and out.
I suspect Nojel will be on the other team's best player. His shut-down defense will keep him on the court for at least 20 and maybe longer. At the end of last season he was playing major minutes because he could guard people. That alone will be important this year.

Eastern's offense needs to pick up or he will be playing less than 20 minutes a game. He can't shoot from 15 ft and out.
the sky isn’t falling as long as he can help them win games isn’t that imost important don’t u think just asking. That’s coming too it’s 1 game into the season.

Reactions: Purdue85
Most on this board would agree that Carsen, Cline and Haarms are likely to get their share of minutes this year. After those three the distribution of minutes should be interesting. It may change throughout the year but after the scrimmage and the first game, what are your thoughts on how the minutes will be distributed?

1) Carsen 32 minites
2) Cline 32 minutes
3) Haarms 27 minutes
6) Nojel 20 minutes
7) Grady 18 minutes
8) Wheeler 12 minutes
9) Sasha 8 minutes
10) Williams 7 minutes
Carsen will play as much as he wants. If it’s a blowout, he may get a rest.. otherwise, he will be on the floor. A lot of you said i was crazy when I said Hunter would be starting by January. I think I was wrong, he may be starting sooner. I could see him in the starting lineup before the month is over. The kid is a flat out stud and a Hunter/Edwards backcourt will be one of the best in the nation by March.

1) Carsen 32 minites
2) Cline 32 minutes
3) Haarms 27 minutes
6) Nojel 20 minutes
7) Grady 18 minutes
8) Wheeler 12 minutes
9) Sasha 8 minutes
10) Williams 7 minutes
Nojel will average a lot more than 20 minutes per game. seems like some are wanting to get on him already because he didn't score Tuesday. He does a lot of things well on this team. He's a great defender and a great rebounder. The points will come. He only took 4 shots, had a couple unlucky things happen, and looked to get others involved on Tuesday.

A couple examples

His dunk attempt would've blown the roof off of Mackey if it went down, he had a really nice drive and spin that he lost the ball right before he went up that would've been two more. He also had a give me layup on a fast break that he dumped off to Boudreaux. That's 6 off the top of my head that would've normally went his way in the scoring column but due to a couple unlucky moments and Nojel being an unselfish teammate he didn't get the points and people are posting he should have less minutes.

Most of you folks who are criticizing Nojel Eastern's shooting ability have no idea of his "value" beyond the offensive side. He is arguably Purdue's best defender -- regardless of position -- and plays with a toughness that is difficult to teach. People always fall in love with scorers; I get it. However, it is usually on the defensive end that makes the difference between successful teams and those that struggle when the offense disappears. He has at least 30 more games to change your views, and I think he will.

Carsen will play as much as he wants. If it’s a blowout, he may get a rest.. otherwise, he will be on the floor. A lot of you said i was crazy when I said Hunter would be starting by January. I think I was wrong, he may be starting sooner. I could see him in the starting lineup before the month is over. The kid is a flat out stud and a Hunter/Edwards backcourt will be one of the best in the nation by March.
Why the hate if hunter does start great as long as we win but to each is on still 30 games to go last I checked. Oh by the way have u talked to Matt painter

Reactions: mathboy
I don't know, I have a rule ,never bad mouth a kid in front of their parents. Rule number 2, never bad mouth a parent in front of their kid. It has worked for me so far.

And here's mine. Don't be offensive and don't be defensive. After all, sports isn't important at all. If people start taking sports less seriously, NBA and NFL will fall and cheating will be less. Coaches will get paid $100k per year max.

What I have heard before if you constantly talking about somebody and his name come up a lot he must be doing something right.

Why the hate if hunter does start great as long as we win but to each is on still 30 games to go last I checked. Oh by the way have u talked to Matt painter
No hate.. I love NE’s game and he definitely has a role on this team and is versatile enough to play a lot of positions. Just because he’s not playing at the guard doesn’t mean he’s not playing. Ray Davis was a pg In hs and played the 3 for Purdue and was a defensive stopper. I think NE could play a similar role. You have to stop taking things so personal. We all have love for everyone on the team and want to see each of them successful... and yes, winning is the bottom line.

Reactions: rgarlitz
No hate.. I love NE’s game and he definitely has a role on this team and is versatile enough to play a lot of positions. Just because he’s not playing at the guard doesn’t mean he’s not playing. Ray Davis was a pg In hs and played the 3 for Purdue and was a defensive stopper. I think NE could play a similar role. You have to stop taking things so personal. We all have love for everyone on the team and want to see each of them successful... and yes, winning is the bottom line.
It’s all good I’m moving on

I'd love to see Hunter at point, Carsen at the 2, and Nojel at the 3 spot. Nojel is too valuable not to be on the court. He brings defensive size and athleticism, especially if Wheeler doesn't get a lot of minutes. Boudreax at the 4 and Haarms at the 5.

I'd love to see Hunter at point, Carsen at the 2, and Nojel at the 3 spot. Nojel is too valuable not to be on the court. He brings defensive size and athleticism, especially if Wheeler doesn't get a lot of minutes. Boudreax at the 4 and Haarms at the 5.
Cline needs to be on the floor plain and simple!

This post hasn’t aged well. Hunter will be a stud. But he won’t start until next year after Carsen goes pro.

If Nojel Eastern locks down the best player on the opposing team consistently, he will play Chris Kramer minutes. It is an incredible value to have a lock down defender who is athletic and has height and length. Kramer barely shot the ball. And he was a superstar. And Eastern has far more offensive potential than Kramer did at that time.

Most of you folks who are criticizing Nojel Eastern's shooting ability have no idea of his "value" beyond the offensive side. He is arguably Purdue's best defender -- regardless of position -- and plays with a toughness that is difficult to teach. People always fall in love with scorers; I get it. However, it is usually on the defensive end that makes the difference between successful teams and those that struggle when the offense disappears. He has at least 30 more games to change your views, and I think he will.

You nailed this. In the Ball State game Nojel's plus/minus was +26. That stat pretty much sums up the impact he can have on the defensive end.

I think you're putting to much into one game. He is a scorer that this team will need when we play someone.
Of course. But he can play that role easily off the bench. I’m a huge Hunter fan but he’s not starting this year. Next year he slides into the 2 and is there for 3 years.

I don't think there is any argument. Nojel Is our defender

Reactions: rgarlitz
I’m with Bulldog on this one. CMP likes to start experience. And Nojel is playing as many minutes as he can handle. He’s our 3rd most valuable player.
I didn't say NE wouldn't start. I think NE will settle in at the 3 & play a point forward spot, similar to what Hummel & Davis did. I think Cline will come off the bench. Hunter has much more skill than Cline & I think will end up being better at the point than NE. I'm not saying NE is going to the bench, because he won't, he's to good defensively, but you have to find a spot for Hunter in the lineup & that's the spot for him. We will see, but that's the way I see it playing out. Hunter will probably slide into Carsen spot next year if Carsen leaves, but this year....

The lineup of Edwards, Eastern, Cline, Eifert, and Boudreaux went on a 16-2 run early in the second half, which was really the difference in the game. (It part a 19-2 run, but Wheeler was on the floor, instead of Eifert, for the first 3 points).

I expect all 5 of those guys to be solidly in the rotation along with Haarms. I think that Wheeler will play every game. I think that Hunter and Sasha are competing for minutes. I think that Hunter ultimately has more talent, but improvement on the defensive end will be key to him earning significant minutes.

Reactions: Schnelk
I’m with Bulldog on this one. CMP likes to start experience. And Nojel is playing as many minutes as he can handle. He’s our 3rd most valuable player.
I may have missed someone pointing this out, but did everyone notice who brings the ball up court against the press? He did it last year as well. He is fearless handling the ball.

Looking at the Appalachian st game, I believe it represents what our typical average minutes will be with one exception. I believe Grady's and Evan's minutes will become equal as in 24/24 each with 4 minutes given to Williams. The 12 extra minutes will be as Haarm's backup as he receives 28 minutes.

Looking at an average, when 32 games are in the books, I don't believe any starter will average over 30 minutes. Sure there may be a close game where Carsen plays 36+ minutes. But on the average, as far as minutes go based on our talent on the bench, and our competition, I believe what you saw tonight will come very close to being our season average.

Looking at an average, when 32 games are in the books, I don't believe any starter will average over 30 minutes. Sure there may be a close game where Carsen plays 36+ minutes. But on the average, as far as minutes go based on our talent on the bench, and our competition, I believe what you saw tonight will come very close to being our season average.

Carsen will easily average over 30 mpg this season. He's already averaging 33mpg over the course of the first three games and he averaged 29.5mpg last season.

After that...

Looking at the Appalachian st game, I believe it represents what our typical average minutes will be with one exception. I believe Grady's and Evan's minutes will become equal as in 24/24 each with 4 minutes given to Williams. The 12 extra minutes will be as Haarm's backup as he receives 28 minutes.

Carsen played 38 minutes against ball St. We were up by I think 17 points at one point. He will probably average 35 minutes in big ten play. 30 minutes in non conference. Why would you not have him in all the time? Arguably the best player in the league. This team isnt going to win by 25 every game going forward where it makes sense for him to sit.

Reactions: BBG
Wheeler has impressed me and seems to do more with every game. I think he will be the starting 3/4 by the middle of the season, taking Eifert's position. Greg will still be an important part of the rotation, but Wheeler has more physical skills.

The team has looked great so far. Let's see how they look in their first loss. It will be interesting to see how that happens, where the weak spot is, and how Matt works to patch the hole. They will lose at least once in the pre-season, so we will see.

Reactions: ejs1111
Agreed, as long as Wheeler continues to improve. He brings a lot to the table. Would like to see him drive some as I saw in the summer games he participated in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT