ADVERTISEMENT

Who is David Jenkins Jr?

Old Gold n Black

True Freshman
Nov 24, 2003
Here's a little insight into who we are getting next year. This article was written a year ago to the day, exactly. In hindsight we know he had a challenging season last year at Utah, but I think no one will be more anxious to prove he belongs than David himself.

David Jenkins Jr interview (July 2021)

I took some time to watch some old (full) games from his sophomore, junior, and senior years. He's a little soft on defense but not bad, really. Mostly bad habits like not fighting through screens and sagging too far off of good shooters. His three point shot is legit, as is his mid-range game. He has the strength to take it to the rack and finish with contact. Although he's a very average athlete who plays below the rim, he tends to use his strength as an asset.

I think if we Boiler fans manage our expectations of him, we'll be quite pleased. Think Jahaad Proctor with a better jump shot or Terone Johnson without the intense D, and you have Jenkins. Just my 2 cents.

Here's a little insight into who we are getting next year. This article was written a year ago to the day, exactly. In hindsight we know he had a challenging season last year at Utah, but I think no one will be more anxious to prove he belongs than David himself.

I took some time to watch some old (full) games from his sophomore, junior, and senior years. He's a little soft on defense but not bad, really. Mostly bad habits like not fighting through screens and sagging too far off of good shooters. His three point shot is legit, as is his mid-range game. He has the strength to take it to the rack and finish with contact. Although he's a very average athlete who plays below the rim, he tends to use his strength as an asset.

I think if we Boiler fans manage our expectations of him, we'll be quite pleased. Think Jahaad Proctor with a better jump shot or Terone Johnson without the intense D, and you have Jenkins. Just my 2 cents.

"Mostly bad habits like not fighting through screens and sagging too far off of good shooters."

He'll fit right in based on our perimeter D last year...

I think the last paragraph is key. If you expect him to be anywhere near what Nijel Pack can bring, you'll be sorely disappointed. He is not a PG. He averaged 2 assists per 40 minutes. But he is a very good shooter. He also has the size so he won't be bullied on defense like IT was (now whether he has the will and smart to play D is another question). So if you just see him as someone who can provide elite shooting, and occasionally handle the ball some while defending the opposing PG some, and everything else is gravy, then you'll probably like him.

As an aside, he does look like Terone Johnson. He can shoot a lot better FTs than Terone though.

I think the last paragraph is key. If you expect him to be anywhere near what Nijel Pack can bring, you'll be sorely disappointed. He is not a PG. He averaged 2 assists per 40 minutes. But he is a very good shooter. He also has the size so he won't be bullied on defense like IT was (now whether he has the will and smart to play D is another question). So if you just see him as someone who can provide elite shooting, and occasionally handle the ball some while defending the opposing PG some, and everything else is gravy, then you'll probably like him.

As an aside, he does look like Terone Johnson. He can shoot a lot better FTs than Terone though.
Hopefully better than Eastern too

That is the problem for a lot of people that don't follow Purdue closely. They will think he is going to be the PG that this upcoming season's team (and last year's team needed) needs so bad.

Reactions: purduepat1969
the biggest criticism on jenkins is not his ability or talent.

the biggest criticism was that for the past 2-3 months, painter said publically that he wanted to add an experienced point guard to our team. and Jenkins never claimed to be a point guard. his signing still leaves a glaring hole at point.

so the majority of criticism is not directed at jenkins, but rather questioning Painter for signing another shooter instead of a playmaker.

How about we not dog on Terone on his birthday...come on fellas
Terone is a boiler through and through and same with Ronnie. Feel bad that Ronnie got some bad guidance from people who didn’t have his best interest at heart.

Reactions: Poprudy
Terone is a boiler through and through and same with Ronnie. Feel bad that Ronnie got some bad guidance from people who didn’t have his best interest at heart.
Terone, yes. Ronnie, hell no. Among a litany of other things, Ronnie tweeted at recruits to congratulate them on their decommittment from Purdue and actively talked shit about his former coach and team. Ronnie was a selfish player who thought he was wayyy better than he actually was. How many schools did he end up attending? He is the exact opposite of a team player. He is not a boiler through and through.

He was a stupid kid who did stupid things because he listened to his stupid dad.
Haha 😂 I get it. It's not like I hold a grudge against him, agree that he was a 19 year old kid, but he went way beyond just transferring. I just don't know how you call him a Boiler at this point. Maybe if he came back to MP and apologized for being an ass?

Haha 😂 I get it. It's not like I hold a grudge against him, agree that he was a 19 year old kid, but he went way beyond just transferring. I just don't know how you call him a Boiler at this point. Maybe if he came back to MP and apologized for being an ass?
What happened to his career after he left Purdue? That’s an apology enough for me. Remember when his family said Duke was calling him.... imagine having to live with that lie.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
Jenkins never claimed to be a point guard. his signing still leaves a glaring hole at point.
Landing Jenkins was about getting the best player available at the time. I will say this about Jenkins...from what I've observed, his handles and passing acumen were pretty good for a shooting guard. For instance, against Texas his sophomore year he handled the full court press admirably. He seemed to know when to pass and when to attack, and when to back off and wait for a teammate for help. BTW, this was against a Shaka Smart press and I never once saw him get bullied off the ball.

IMO, I would put his ball handling and passing skills on par with Thompson's. Not to mention he is bigger and stronger. All things considered, he will be replacing IT who was not a pure point guard. Thompson averaged under 1.0 assist/game for his career. I think this will be an upgrade, albeit a small one.

Landing Jenkins was about getting the best player available at the time. I will say this about Jenkins...from what I've observed, his handles and passing acumen were pretty good for a shooting guard. For instance, against Texas his sophomore year he handled the full court press admirably. He seemed to know when to pass and when to attack, and when to back off and wait for a teammate for help. BTW, this was against a Shaka Smart press and I never once saw him get bullied off the ball.

IMO, I would put his ball handling and passing skills on par with Thompson's. Not to mention he is bigger and stronger. All things considered, he will be replacing IT who was not a pure point guard. Thompson averaged under 1.0 assist/game for his career. I think this will be an upgrade, albeit a small one.
I would agree he is an upgrade over IT. I just question that Painter said many times he was looking for an experienced point guard.
It’s kind of like having French fries and asking for ketchup and the waitress brings you BBQ sauce because the restaurant is all out of ketchup. Do you dip your fries in the bbq sauce or do you just add more salt to your fries?

my heartburn is not with the player or his abilities, but rather the fact Purdue already had a lot of other young shooters. By adding another shooting guard, You are taking minutes away from one of other budding shooters. I had kind of hoped our offense would revolve around Kaufman and our other incoming freshmen this year .

as I said, I do not question his ability. I was just looking forward to one of our other players stepping up into that shooting spot.

I will agree he’s a very nice insurance policy if our younger players prove they are not ready to contribute.

What happened to his career after he left Purdue? That’s an apology enough for me. Remember when his family said Duke was calling him.... imagine having to live with that lie.
I understand and have no ill will towards the young man. IMO his actions disassociated him from being a Boiler. Unless he does something to reverse that, he remains a non-Boiler (IMO).

I would agree he is an upgrade over IT. I just question that Painter said many times he was looking for an experienced point guard.
It’s kind of like having French fries and asking for ketchup and the waitress brings you BBQ sauce because the restaurant is all out of ketchup. Do you dip your fries in the bbq sauce or do you just add more salt to your fries?

my heartburn is not with the player or his abilities, but rather the fact Purdue already had a lot of other young shooters. By adding another shooting guard, You are taking minutes away from one of other budding shooters. I had kind of hoped our offense would revolve around Kaufman and our other incoming freshmen this year .

as I said, I do not question his ability. I was just looking forward to one of our other players stepping up into that shooting spot.

I will agree he’s a very nice insurance policy if our younger players prove they are not ready to contribute.
This is a well articulated post. Painter definitely swung for the fences at the position and didn't get his top few guys, but I'm not sure I agree that he was all in on a true pg. Pack, for example, played some point, but he was more of an undersized SG who is an elite scorer. The Hunter kid from Iowa State was a true point guard but a lot of the guys they looked at were combo guards, which has been pretty typical in recent years at Purdue. Hopefully Jenkins can play that combo role and make good decision if we get pressured.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT