ADVERTISEMENT

Who are you when the shots aren't falling?

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Well, we saw two teams lay it all out inside the lines. Purdue was definitely fatigued. Kneight took a lot of shots to get his points. He was awarded 2 or 3 three balls due to loose balls that Purdue thought they had that ended up to him for open looks and then may 2 baskets towards the end, before Zach decided to challenge one. The D was interesting to me. First we start out with Braden on Kneight and Lance on the pg. I fully get this. This went for a bit and then we saw Cam and then Myles I thought did a good job trying to take away Kneight from getting the ball and then Lance had him...several bodies on him trying quickness and size and he showed me my very limited guess from seeing just a bit that he has a lean to the 3 ball.

Purdue is trying to get bodies on him, but then another adjustment and this time Braden and Lance mostly, but a couple of time Fletcher are in auto switch on those screens as Purdue continues to go over the top until the handoff on the switch to not let him get a good look on the perimeter fearful of the 3 ball that was already hurting PUrdue by him and ONE other player (Jones?) and 2 or 3 of Kneights 3 balls were just due to losing him due to long, bad bounces or rebounds that never went in Purdue hands. I thought that small nuance was big in him not getting as good of looks behind the 3 ball.

Happy for the kids, their families and the coaches...and all the Purdue fans. I'll say this now and maybe said in one time before. Dustin told me before Braden played at Purdue he wanted to take them to the Final Four. This ring all these kids will have forever. Two more and have to think the next game will be easier than Tennessee.

I was shocked that Braden was guarding Knecht and I think it was a mistake, but I know CMP has been liking Lance guarding the point guard in recent weeks.

Speaking of D, Loyer played a pretty standup game on that side of the floor.
IMO I understand the thought. Not going to foul a 3 pt shooter and so height out there may not be as important as trying to make smart decisions on him. This allowed Lance to focus more on D and try to make them have a harder time getting into their offense. Take away Kneights getting I htink 3 great looks due to long boards and bad bounces 9 pts) PUrdue thought they had...and add any 3 pt shooting from PUrdue and this is double digit probably the whole game. The defense in man always starts with defending the PG first...it sets the tone. Fletch was big.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
That Eddy guy is pretty good. But seriously folks. Paint knew this game might come and especially against the Vols. Could hardly make a three, outscored 33-9 from three. Matt has been saying just what tj wrote “ who are you when the shots aren’t falling”. Purdue had to win a grinder. And this time they hit two threes laten when needed ( Loyer and Jones).

That Eddy guy is pretty good. But seriously folks. Paint knew this game might come and especially against the Vols. Could hardly make a three, outscored 33-9 from three. Matt has been saying just what tj wrote “ who are you when the shots aren’t falling”. Purdue had to win a grinder. And this time they hit two threes laten when needed ( Loyer and Jones).
UT started collapsing hard on Edey when they felt confident that Purdue wasn't hitting their 3s. Then they decided they needed to focus on stopping him. The announcers mentioned it at the 3:56 point. Once they backed off guarding the 3, Purdue hit some. And it didn't stop Edey -- 9 pts in the last 4 minutes.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT