ADVERTISEMENT

Which universities does Purdue consider to be its peers?

Interesting - it would be nice to know but I'm not subscribing to end up on numerous email lists.
It's kinda interesting to look at other schools. The University of Texas had seven "mutual" peers, meaning UT picked them and they each picked UT, too. Those were six Big Ten Schools - Purdue, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin - plus UNC. The Longhorns didn't pick one SEC school, not even Texas A&M.

Reactions: pboiler18
I have not read the article. I have read US news rating of colleges.

I would say UW, Illinois Maryland, Missouri, Rutgers, Florida, Penn state, Duke, UNC, Georgia , Washington, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, the Air Force Academy, and Iowa are academic peers of Purdue.

my opinions are based on the US news and Forbes report of college ratings and also by where the local academic scholars all chose to go to school. and the placement of their graduates.

I would place the Ivy League, Northwestern, Michigan and Stanford as slightly above Purdue.

i would place all the rest as beneath Purdue.

Purdue is known for its engineering programs, but it has an awesome management program, pharmacy, vet school, ag school, and science/math/it programs. I may be a little critical at times of Purdue athletics, but I would place their academics in the top 20 just below the Ivy League .

I have not read the article. I have read US news rating of colleges.

I would say UW, Illinois Maryland, Missouri, Rutgers, Florida, Penn state, Duke, UNC, Georgia , Washington, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, the Air Force Academy, and Iowa are academic peers of Purdue.

my opinions are based on the US news and Forbes report of college ratings and also by where the local academic scholars all chose to go to school. and the placement of their graduates.

I would place the Ivy League, Northwestern, Michigan and Stanford as slightly above Purdue.

i would place all the rest as beneath Purdue.

Purdue is known for its engineering programs, but it has an awesome management program, pharmacy, vet school, ag school, and science/math/it programs. I may be a little critical at times of Purdue athletics, but I would place their academics in the top 20 just below the Ivy League .
The context of the article is employee salaries, graduation rates, and size. Most of those peers would not be true especially graduation rate where Purdue prides itself on weeding out people.

If academics you are missing the obvious ones in Georgia Tech, Berkeley, CalTech, and Michigan (we are better than UM in majority of our academics by enrollment). Not sure how you draw parallels to the others except maybe U of I.

Don’t disagree with the other programs but there’s no denying purdues academic reputation is engineering and sciences which make up 2/3 of the enrollment.

The context of the article is employee salaries, graduation rates, and size. Most of those peers would not be true especially graduation rate where Purdue prides itself on weeding out people.

If academics you are missing the obvious ones in Georgia Tech, Berkeley, CalTech, and Michigan (we are better than UM in majority of our academics by enrollment). Not sure how you draw parallels to the others except maybe U of I.

Don’t disagree with the other programs but there’s no denying purdues academic reputation is engineering and sciences which make up 2/3 of the enrollment.
Yes, Purdue is much more like Georgia Tech than Georgia and much more like NC State than UNC. Also, I don't see Duke as comparable really.

Ivy League? You must be joking - or completely oblivious to the news.

Ivy League? You must be joking - or completely oblivious to the news.
I'd put it in the top 25%, maybe top 10%, of all public universities, depending on the field, but it's well below the Ivies reputation-wise (fair or not).

I also believe that some of the non-Ivy privates like Vanderbilt and Duke tend to be overrated, especially when considering cost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT