ADVERTISEMENT

Which game will clinch an outright title?

proudopete

All-American
Jan 26, 2010
I decided to drive up for a game and I decided on Ohio State for a few different reasons.

1. If we win that game it will once again give us a winning record against all B10 teams.
2. I’m thinking if we keep this train going, that game could be where we clinch an outright title.
3. I can’t afford over a grand for the IU game.

Who has an opinion on which game gives us the outright title?

Probably the earliest would be after Maryland. If we win the next 5, the 4-loss teams would have to lose 2 each in that stretch. Illinois and Rutgers each play 2 legit road games during that stretch, including against each other in Champaign.

Speaking of, how awful was that 2nd half between Illinois and Nebraska last night? Nebraska had I think 8 turnovers and several horrendous shots in the first 10 minutes and actually took the lead!

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I decided to drive up for a game and I decided on Ohio State for a few different reasons.

1. If we win that game it will once again give us a winning record against all B10 teams.
2. I’m thinking if we keep this train going, that game could be where we clinch an outright title.
3. I can’t afford over a grand for the IU game.

Who has an opinion on which game gives us the outright title?
Purdue's magic number currently sits at 7 against the 4-loss teams. Any combination of Purdue wins and those opponent losses that equals 7 clinches the outright title. And, the magic number is, of course, 6 to at worst have a share of the title. I haven't had time to sit down and project out wins and losses for the 4-loss teams (lllinois, NU, and RU) and Purdue. If the Boilers handle their business, I'm really not concerned about when they clinch, though.

BTW, last night's results (IU and NW losing) moved our odds to win the league (read as #1 seed in BTT in case of a tie) from -2000 to -2500. Illinois now second at +3500.

ADVERTISEMENT