ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Kyle?

pufan73

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2006
She was supposed to be back after Xmas wasn't she? Anyone know what's up?

Yes, at this point of the year her re-entry might mess up good team chemistry. But next year we need her and maybe another big-c or f

Yes, at this point of the year her re-entry might mess up good team chemistry. But next year we need her and maybe another big-c or f
In the games I’ve watched I would love to see a dynamic 2/3 type of player. I like Madison but I’ll be honest, she can’t be the teams best player if they want to not only make the tournament but make noise as well. Team’s had a nice year though, next year should be better.

Ava Learn is an intriguing prospect to me. She played guard in high school and all of the minutes she has played since the Michigan State away win have been in the post backing up Rickie Woltman. Katie in her post game interview after the Rutgers game on Sunday commented that Ava did not play any minutes at the post in high school, and she is learning on the fly as a true freshman. Ava is averaging 16.8 minutes per game with 6.9 points per game and 3.4 rebounds per game. She is shooting 62% from the field and 71.4% from the free throw line and has not missed a free throw in February. Sample size is small but her form at the line looks like she is confident shooting free throws. She does not turn the ball over a lot (less than 1 per game) and her only issue appears to be a tendency to foul a lot. She has fouled out of three games and is averaging 3.7 fouls per game, although that may be a function of still learning how to play the post. She plays with a lot of enthusiasm and I look forward to watching her for the rest of her college career! I think Katie Gearlds has a diamond in the rough and Katie is giving her minutes to find out if she is a player.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kyle. While at 6'6 she certainly can be a force for us in the future but she was recruited under SV who uses a much more traditional lineup than KG wants us to be playing. Not saying she's going to transfer and I hope she doesn't but I can definitely see a meeting coming at the end of the year to see if she still fits into the plan that KG has. It happens all the time with coaching changes. If she stays - she's really going to have to get in great shape because KG wants get us run and play more of a Maryland style - and I'm def ok with that.

Reactions: RBryant311
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kyle. While at 6'6 she certainly can be a force for us in the future but she was recruited under SV who uses a much more traditional lineup than KG wants us to be playing. Not saying she's going to transfer and I hope she doesn't but I can definitely see a meeting coming at the end of the year to see if she still fits into the plan that KG has. It happens all the time with coaching changes. If she stays - she's really going to have to get in great shape because KG wants get us run and play more of a Maryland style - and I'm def ok with that.
If she's healthy, she'll be the starting center next year.

Reactions: TC4THREE
If she's healthy, she'll be the starting center next year.
I was really impressed with how effective she was when she played this season. I also don't understand any speculation that she, when healthy, wouldn't be in our plans for the future.

Guessing she’s the starting Center with Rickie backing her up, Ava probably starts at the 4 with Stoddard and Rickie backing her up. I hope Purdue gets a wing transfer, Madison as the second best player works for me.

Twice on the KG show coach has said she’s not really looking at the portal so I wouldn’t expect anything there.

Twice on the KG show coach has said she’s not really looking at the portal so I wouldn’t expect anything there.
That's fine with me. I'm not a huge fan of the portal. I mean most likely you are getting someone who wasn't good enough to get on the court where they were. Or someone who was or is disgruntled for one reason or another.

I would prefer to see her use any available scholarships on high school kids. Kind of the same formula that Coach Painter uses.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
That's fine with me. I'm not a huge fan of the portal. I mean most likely you are getting someone who wasn't good enough to get on the court where they were. Or someone who was or is disgruntled for one reason or another.

I would prefer to see her use any available scholarships on high school kids. Kind of the same formula that Coach Painter uses.
Yes I think a solid 3/4 transfer would be a big get.
Purdue got Ellis and Terry this past off-season, two key players. While I agree that it shouldn’t be the be all end all, I think Coach and Purdue will keep their eyes open and sign 1 player.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Purdue got Ellis and Terry this past off-season, two key players. While I agree that it shouldn’t be the be all end all, I think Coach and Purdue will keep their eyes open and sign 1 player.
We also have to see if we lose anyone and who is using their super-senior covid year.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
I think that will depend ultimately on who becomes available... I believe they'll have 2 schollys available. We'll see. But I would sure use the portal if there are spots open on the team.

I'm a huge fan of the portal if the right player becomes available.

Without the portal this year would Purdue have been able to field a team?

so much talent (and other bodies) left

I could see another 1-2 transfers per year until CKG gets her team built

Without the portal this year would Purdue have been able to field a team?

so much talent (and other bodies) left

I could see another 1-2 transfers per year until CKG gets her team built
I think she’ll add a transfer this spring, I hope it’s a wing player. Purdue needs another scorer in my opinion.

We must shore up our front line. Kyle is just one piece. It’s incredible we won 16 without a center. Most games lost were due to that. Woltmann and Learn were great but totally out of position. Next year has to be better there or we will not move up.

Reactions: DocRon
We must shore up our front line. Kyle is just one piece. It’s incredible we won 16 without a center. Most games lost were due to that. Woltmann and Learn were great but totally out of position. Next year has to be better there or we will not move up.
Learn for sure isn’t a Center, Woltman had a nice season. Purdue wants to run, Stoddard is a great athlete that loves the up and down pace, she didn’t score much at CP because they were dominated by guard play, I know the staff is high on her. Maybe she redshirts and it’s possible the staff brings in another Big, not sure with Kyle here that a good one will come here though.

Woltman got plenty of playing time this year so that she will be a functional player next year. SV did not seem to have any confidence in her. She needs some work on her defensive skills. Kyle will be an excellent center once she gets back on her feet. Ava Learn turned out to be a real diamond in the rough. Did not realize that she was a guard. Her enthusiasm combined with her obvious on court skills suggest she will be an excellent player going forward whether she is at the 5, 4, 3, or 2 position. I am really looking forward to watching this team next year. Not to mention the rest of the NIT.

Hopefully they won't need Learn in the post next year as she and Woltman can cover the forward position. Then help for Kyle who may get some help from Stoddard. A transfer big is not out of the question. We are good a guard with Hardin back and maybe Moore. Yes, we should be better next year and competitive in most games. I am projecting solidly in top half of BT at a minimum.

Hopefully they won't need Learn in the post next year as she and Woltman can cover the forward position. Then help for Kyle who may get some help from Stoddard. A transfer big is not out of the question. We are good a guard with Hardin back and maybe Moore. Yes, we should be better next year and competitive in most games. I am projecting solidly in top half of BT at a minimum.
Will Ali Patberg be back for a record 8th year of college ball lol. Iowa and Maryland will be the heavy favorites, after that maybe Purdue can fall into the 3-5 range? Guessing it will be in the 6-8 range which should be good enough to get a tourney berth.

My two deeps for next year:

Kyle- Woltman
Learn- Stoddard/Taylor if we get her
Layden
Ellis-Smith
Terry-Potts

With a RS frosh and two true frosh shooting guards as well looking for minutes beyond those 9, playing Hardin at all is probably going to cost you a transfer or two at the end of that season or the next, for a player that is a poor defender and only shoots the 3, and that at only 26% in Big Ten play. IMHO, there is no place for Hardin on this team next year, and making one for her would be bad for the teams W/L record and bad for retention of other young guards.

Also, any hopes of getting an impact player from the portal are slightly absurd. That level of player rarely transfers, once a decade, and Purdue is not a good enough program to be on their radar, they are looking for a FF/title contender, not a team hoping that such a transfer gets them into the NCAAs. Unless the world starts spinning backwards, Layden will still be our best player unless one of the Frosh really is outstanding.

Not a bad take on our lineup. I too am a bit leery of Hardin, but she knows the system and is tough as nails. If she returns I suspect it will be as a glue player at best. Will tell a lot about KG. Yes getting a major transfer would be a fluke but we might get a good player. And we don't know about Moore and Doumbia yet. Realistically Purdue has to move itself into BT title contention and maybe be able to nab better players. (Who is Taylor?)

Not a bad take on our lineup. I too am a bit leery of Hardin, but she knows the system and is tough as nails. If she returns I suspect it will be as a glue player at best. Will tell a lot about KG. Yes getting a major transfer would be a fluke but we might get a good player. And we don't know about Moore and Doumbia yet. Realistically Purdue has to move itself into BT title contention and maybe be able to nab better players. (Who is Taylor?)
Zennia Thomas, recruit for the 22-23 season from the state of Ohio that had an incredible senior year and has not yet declared where she is going. The entire coaching staff visited her between the BTT and the first WNIT game, so they are really putting on the full court press for her, and she is an incredible athlete that can play 2-4 although swing forward is probably her best fit at 6'2" with a strong post up game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT