ADVERTISEMENT

When will this end?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
OSU’s Day is expected to sign a 2 year extension at $9.5 million a year. We have millions going to college athletes through the NIL. There are expectations of huge sports tv right extensions. Where is all this money coming from and will be coming from?

It will be coming from us. Higher ticket prices, higher cable/streaming rates, etc. Eventually, this will have to hit breaking point right?

Reactions: Poprudy
OSU’s Day is expected to sign a 2 year extension at $9.5 million a year. We have millions going to college athletes through the NIL. There are expectations of huge sports tv right extensions. Where is all this money coming from and will be coming from?

It will be coming from us. Higher ticket prices, higher cable/streaming rates, etc. Eventually, this will have to hit breaking point right?
The consumer always pays.

I don’t think there will ever be a breaking point…just an increasing divide between the have and have nots.

Soon 10 million will be the starting point for a good coach at a blue blood with a roster getting a combined 5 million a year (probably more).

Purdue and a lot of programs will be competing against that with a 5 million dollar a year head coach and a roster getting maybe 750,000 total. Depends on any superstars or not

They are installing fiber optic in my neighborhood as we speak, and once that is set up and I have a source for high speed internet aside from the cable company, guess who is getting canceled? A few games per season will suffice for me. Let the Walmart Wolverines pay for BTN in their trailer parks.

Reactions: Tommaker
I don’t think there will ever be a breaking point…just an increasing divide between the have and have nots.
I don't know about breaking point, but I would submit NASCAR as "Exhibit A" that the halcyon days of beer and pretzels DO eventually end. Their numbers trended to extraordinary through the early-mid 2000's, leading to more races and more rules. Today they're a shadow of themselves.

For football, it will be that thing affecting ALL sports, the aging of the population. Over the next 20 years the cavitation of the prime demographic is going to be mind blowing; not just because its the fastest shrinking demographic, but because a large portion of it doesn't care for college football or sports in general. That will be the "Come to Jesus" moment for the sports, players and broadcasters. Also why, IMO, so many of them are trying to make hay while the sun shines, as they say.

Reactions: pboiler18
I don't know about breaking point, but I would submit NASCAR as "Exhibit A" that the halcyon days of beer and pretzels DO eventually end. Their numbers trended to extraordinary through the early-mid 2000's, leading to more races and more rules. Today they're a shadow of themselves.

For football, it will be that thing affecting ALL sports, the aging of the population. Over the next 20 years the cavitation of the prime demographic is going to be mind blowing; not just because its the fastest shrinking demographic, but because a large portion of it doesn't care for college football or sports in general. That will be the "Come to Jesus" moment for the sports, players and broadcasters. Also why, IMO, so many of them are trying to make hay while the sun shines, as they say.
One thing that I don’t get is paying announcers huge money. I don’t watch a sporting event because of who is announcing the game. I will watch the game if Beth Mowins is calling it or Jim Nantz calls it.

You make some good points and cavitation is a new word to me.My vocabulary has grown.

You make some good points and cavitation is a new word to me.My vocabulary has grown.
I think it's more accurate than "implode". :) I've also been playing "Wordsmithery". You can definitely tell its a UK based game.

ADVERTISEMENT