ADVERTISEMENT

What's with the Paint Crew?

dumpsterFyre

Junior
Aug 17, 2012
Am I overanalyzing the fact that the environment in Mackey seems tepid this year? I haven't heard the announcers struggle to hear themselves or comment about the noise levels at all. What happened to the DE-FENSE chants? I heard an organized chant only 3-4 times versus Maryland.

Place doesn't feel like the fortress it has been in past years and the Paint Crew doesn't seem as "hostile." Anyone attend a game care to comment?

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Yeah its crazy that the Rutgers game with no students achieved the 2nd highest decibel level of all time. The old folks really brought it in that one!

I helped do that. I had a flashback of the Big Dog era. Gen-Xer's bring it. :D But seriously, the Paint Crew rocks and they are doing just fine.

I timestamped the pinnacle of my era at Purdue. Gene getting T'd up brought the NOISE.

Purdue’s home schedule thus far hasn’t had the so called blue bloods yet, you had Minny, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, let’s be honest, yesterday’s Maryland game was a rough watch. It will amp up the second half of the Big Ten season.

I helped do that. I had a flashback of the Big Dog era. Gen-Xer's bring it. :D But seriously, the Paint Crew rocks and they are doing just fine.

I timestamped the pinnacle of my era at Purdue. Gene getting T'd up brought the NOISE.

Oh man, what a game! I was on campus at the time but couldn't get tickets. Had to watch in the dorms. :( Awesome energy on campus after the big win, though.

On a side note, I forgot just how freakin big Todd Lindeman's head was. It was like an oversized melon impaled on a stick.

The loudest I remember Mackey is after Todd Mitchell's reverse dunk here. Second loudest: O$U 2011.
IU beat Purdue by 11 at bloomington and Purdue returned the favor at God's country by 11. Purdue may have been behind at half or very close to IU when Todd came out shaking his head going through warm-ups as to say we or I got this and remember his dunk.

The vast majority of students are under 21. I would hope adding more bars would not increase their alcoholic consumption! It also appears the team is already playing awesome defense so they don’t really need the paint crew to remind them. Maybe they need to yell some new cheers like MAKE THAT THREE!

Oh man, what a game! I was on campus at the time but couldn't get tickets. Had to watch in the dorms. :( Awesome energy on campus after the big win, though.

On a side note, I forgot just how freakin big Todd Lindeman's head was. It was like an oversized melon impaled on a stick.

I exaggerate stories like my grandpa as time goes on... lolol but help me sort out facts and fiction. "I think" the windchill was -65° that day and classes were canceled for the first time since in a couple decades? Is that your memory?

Other fun facts:
I was in the Student Athletic Board so would always sit in the first couple rows to the left of the tunnel. I don't remember much about any game I attended my other three years, but remember almost everything that happened this night. It was wild.

I helped park cars outside for VIP John Purdue Club members, media, etc. before the game and I was battling most of the first half trying to get my body temp right again. Mackey was HOT and for awhile thought I was going to get light headed and pass out.

Ed Sorenson from Channel 6 gave us high fives and said it was the loudest crowd he'd ever seen live.

The post game party was pretty epic too. ;)

Reactions: hoosierdog1
IU beat Purdue by 11 at bloomington and Purdue returned the favor at God's country by 11. Purdue may have been behind at half or very close to IU when Todd came out shaking his head going through warm-ups as to say we or I got this and remember his dunk.
That brought back some great memories. My Senior year and Mackey was up for grabs that day.

That brought back some great memories. My Senior year and Mackey was up for grabs that day.
A Purdue friend flew in from New York to see the game and he scalped two tickets for around $120 which were I think 3 rows from the top which at that time the bench was on the opposite side from today. I think we were close to sec 102 or maybe in that section? I remember a group of students standing and waiting for the IU bus and Dean Garrett getting off first to a few chanting about the beatdown that was about to happen in their eyes. I also recall walking in the corredor and seeing someone with the news badge trying to talk on a phone (did they have wall phones back then?) yelling into the phone telling them he can't hear anything. ;)

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I exaggerate stories like my grandpa as time goes on... lolol but help me sort out facts and fiction. "I think" the windchill was -65° that day and classes were canceled for the first time since in a couple decades? Is that your memory?

Other fun facts:
I was in the Student Athletic Board so would always sit in the first couple rows to the left of the tunnel. I don't remember much about any game I attended my other three years, but remember almost everything that happened this night. It was wild.

I helped park cars outside for VIP John Purdue Club members, media, etc. before the game and I was battling most of the first half trying to get my body temp right again. Mackey was HOT and for awhile thought I was going to get light headed and pass out.

Ed Sorenson from Channel 6 gave us high fives and said it was the loudest crowd he'd ever seen live.

I believe the actual temperature was -20 that day. Yes classes were cancelled. Didn't stop everyone from heading over to Mackey. I walked over from the other side of campus.

I was on PSAB as well. We probably know each other. I think I may still have that rugby shirt,

Reactions: mean_gene
A Purdue friend flew in from New York to see the game and he scalped two tickets for around $120 which were I think 3 rows from the top which at that time the bench was on the opposite side from today. I think we were close to sec 102 or maybe in that section? I remember a group of students standing and waiting for the IU bus and Dean Garrett getting off first to a few chanting about the beatdown that was about to happen in their eyes. I also recall walking in the corredor and seeing someone with the news badge trying to talk on a phone (did they have wall phones back then?) yelling into the phone telling them he can't hear anything. ;)
Yes, there were pay phones on the wall. My roommates and I did a little gambling back then and the lines for the games weren't always available when we left our apartment. We would call the bookie from the pay phones in Mackey. Great times!!

Am I overanalyzing the fact that the environment in Mackey seems tepid this year? I haven't heard the announcers struggle to hear themselves or comment about the noise levels at all. What happened to the DE-FENSE chants? I heard an organized chant only 3-4 times versus Maryland.

Place doesn't feel like the fortress it has been in past years and the Paint Crew doesn't seem as "hostile." Anyone attend a game care to comment?
I thought the same thing Sunday!

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Yes, there were pay phones on the wall. My roommates and I did a little gambling back then and the lines for the games weren't always available when we left our apartment. We would call the bookie from the pay phones in Mackey. Great times!!
I thought so, but it was so many years ago and yet I kept seeing this guy leaning against the wall with this silver cord connected to the phone...

I believe the actual temperature was -20 that day. Yes classes were cancelled. Didn't stop everyone from heading over to Mackey. I walked over from the other side of campus.

I was on PSAB as well. We probably know each other. I think I may still have that rugby shirt,

Get. Out. lol Yup, mine is in the attic somewhere I am sure. Hilarious.

Other fun facts:

I remember that IU game. Yes it was utterly cold. My high school was cancelled that day. I remember going over to my friends house to watch the game because my parents refused to buy cable.

I am looking right at you from row three, you can barely see my head. lol Again, I got row three that night because I got roped into parking cars so I was late. lolol I'll PM ya! What a small world.

Say what you will about Dukie V now, but from the mid 80s to the mid 90s he was a fantastic voice of college hoops.

Say what you will about Dukie V now, but from the mid 80s to the mid 90s he was a fantastic voice of college hoops.

Haha, I've poked fun of him as much as many on here, but yes - he knows the game and was fantastic early on with his broadcasts. In fact, sometime a ways back I was watching a clip from the 80's and didn't recognize the color announcer.....thinking this guy's really good and insightful.......who is/was he......it was Vitale. :)

Also, he's done quite an admirable job with charitable donations and fund-raising and raising cancer/lymphoma awareness with his battle....I genuinely like the man and wish him the best.....just got tired of some of the schtick.....but hey, I also understand it too.

Haha, I've poked fun of him as much as many on here, but yes - he knows the game and was fantastic early on with his broadcasts. In fact, sometime a ways back I was watching a clip from the 80's and didn't recognize the color announcer.....thinking this guy's really good and insightful.......who is/was he......it was Vitale. :)

Also, he's done quite an admirable job with charitable donations and fund-raising and raising cancer/lymphoma awareness with his battle....I genuinely like the man and wish him the best.....just got tired of some of the schtick.....but hey, I also understand it too.
Years ago there was a video of him talking to 5 star campers about "The Game Of Life" that was very good. I'm not one that cares for emotional hyperbole in announcers near as much as technical comments and so Dick with his Duke and the General were too much like Howard and Ali. Still, outside of his announcing he is knows the game and is a good steward for humanity.

I was on a plane with him once. Wouldn't have known who he was until I heard him talking in the gate area. My only claim to fame. :p

Bump.

According to the school, Sunday's game reached 123.2 decibels, which is "the loudest recorded decibel reading in Mackey Arena."
That is saying a lot. I have walked out of games at Mackey with my ears ringing, amazed at how loud it can be.

Reactions: Schnelk

There was even a tweet (I think it might have been Dave Shondell) that showed Izzo on the court and his comment was something like "there was a day when the Paint Crew would have never let this happen."
I agree. Either everyone is cheering with the Paint Crew so you don't hear just them, or they are that subdued this year.

Bump.

According to the school, Sunday's game reached 123.2 decibels, which is "the loudest recorded decibel reading in Mackey Arena."
stadium loud speakers or fan noise ?
I was at the Ann Arbor game on Thursday and it was very loud, but not so much from fan noise - more from the overhead loudspeakers.

There was even a tweet (I think it might have been Dave Shondell) that showed Izzo on the court and his comment was something like "there was a day when the Paint Crew would have never let this happen."
I agree. Either everyone is cheering with the Paint Crew so you don't hear just them, or they are that subdued this year.
Or they were more ecstatic with what the team was doing than what 😭😭 Wizzo was doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT