ADVERTISEMENT

What's with all the Brohm negativity?

How quickly we forget the dark days of Hazell. Is Brohm the next Nick Saban? No. But the next Nick Saban is never coaching here. Brohm is a good coach who has gotten us out of the gloom and doom of 1 win seasons. He stayed at Purdue when his hometown team came calling. We're getting guys into the NFL again. I'm hopeful that we can turn things around this season and we have some ballers coming in. Stay the course gentlemen (and women).
Agree. The thing with Brohm’s teams, we are competitive enough to win any game. Didn’t feel that way with Haze and to a certain extent Hope

Reactions: Poprudy
I think there’s been some pretty good reasons put forth in this thread but I’d add one more. It seems like there’s an element of missed opportunities with Brohm’s teams. It’s no secret that the Big Ten West is the weaker of the two divisions, yet Purdue hasn’t even really sniffed making the Championship Game. Even Wisconsin teams that are not quite the Badgers of old still have no problem hammering Purdue. Purdue has been inexplicably owned by the boat rower. And for every high (Tyler Trent game) there’s several lows.

This season’s schedule appeared to be served up on a platter for a big year/big Bowl and yet it took scraping one out against Florida Atlantic to be 2-2 and seemingly limping into a game with 4-0 Minnesota. That’s disappointing and I think tends to lead to some of the “negativity”.

I’d also add that there was a lot of talk about the Penn State game possibly setting the tone for the season. I think losing in such a familiar, deflating, Purdue way may have done exactly that. Set the tone for more disappointments and missed opportunities and another “what might have been” for Purdue fans.

"probably most importantly, just imagine how good he could/would be if he were to quit calling plays AND had a legitimate DC...even if he still had some of his existing recruiting struggles."
^^^Winner^^^ Agree 100% with this point. Be the HC and manage the game. Did not realize how important DC Lambert was till after game 1 this season.

^^^Winner^^^ Agree 100% with this point. Be the HC and manage the game. Did not realize how important DC Lambert was till after game 1 this season.
Does anyone understand the game day role of Greg Brohm? I am genuinely curious. He seems to shadow Jeff the entire game and whisper things into his ear. Does Jeff keep him there to make sure he doesn't lose sight of certain aspects of game management while his mind is on play calling?

Reactions: Boiler8285
There have been 7 head coaches at Purdue since i started following the program. Brohm is better than all but one of them.
He is fourth behind Young, Mollenkopf and Tiller. The Big10 was a hell of lot tougher in the 1960's and 70s. Plus we played ND when they were actually good. 4th seems about right sandwiched between some good ones and some really terrible ones. A notch better Colletto and Akers. Burtnett and Hazell were just plain awful.

Why do you use an exclamation point on basically every sentence? It’s poor form.

Just about everything you said is false. Hope’s teams played in the Little Caesar’s Bowl in Detroit and the Heart of Dallas Bowl (he was fired before that game was played). Brohm’s teams played in 3 bowls - Foster Farms and the Music City Bowl (2x). The Music City Bowl is way more prestigious than the ones Hope’s teams played in. We played good to very good SEC teams in Auburn and Tennessee. Brohm is 2-1 in bowls at Purdue and his teams are 5-1 overall in bowls.

Hope went 19-25 (0.431). Sorry, that’s not really close to 0.500.

The situation is very different now than when Hope was coach. Purdue is in a big money conference and can afford to pay more. Purdue now has an AD, President, and BoT that actually care about football and have given it priority. Hope had Morgan Burke and a President that didn’t seem to care about athletics at all.

If you want to be competitive in this day and age you need to pay up. You can’t pay $1-2M/yr anymore. Again, Hope was not as successful as Brohm and contending he is is just plain dumb. Our team is significantly more competitive now than Hope’s were against the strongest teams in the conference. Hope did ok considering the hand he was dealt but there is a good reason he was fired.
Let's not use bowl games as a comparison. Tiller even said they are meaningless and he treated them as a season ending party. If we go by postseason record Brohm is better than Tiller?

He is fourth behind Young, Mollenkopf and Tiller. The Big10 was a hell of lot tougher in the 1960's and 70s. Plus we played ND when they were actually good. 4th seems about right sandwiched between some good ones and some really terrible ones. A notch better Colletto and Akers. Burtnett and Hazell were just plain awful.
Akers was awful. He was worse than Burtnett. A good recruiter but his record in 4 years, 12-31-1. At least we had the Jim Everett year with Coach Leon.

Reactions: Mobes
Akers was awful. He was worse than Burtnett. A good recruiter but his record in 4 years, 12-31-1. At least we had the Jim Everett year with Coach Leon.
And, almost the Jeff George ones...

Akers was a mess...to this day, that hire made little sense...at the time, and, in hindsight.

There were a lot of dark years and some really bad coaches after Young and until Tiller.

Wasn’t around for Young or Mollenkopf.

And, almost the Jeff George ones...

Akers was a mess...to this day, that hire made little sense...at the time, and, in hindsight.

There were a lot of dark years and some really bad coaches after Young and until Tiller.
Right, Jeff George would have stuck around another year at least with Burtnett.
Almost had Ron Meyer as the HC until he went to the Colts. He would have been similar to Akers probably.

Right, Jeff George would have stuck around another year at least with Burtnett.
Almost had Ron Meyer as the HC until he went to the Colts. He would have been similar to Akers probably.
He would have killed it in recruiting, and, he would have been entertaining as well. My guess is he actually would have had success...but, at some point, Purdue would have spent some time on probation as well.

Why are people negative? Because every game it's like groundhog day. We find the same ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and learn nothing from it. This is the most favorable schedule this program is likely to get with the best depth he's had on paper and we're currently 2-2 because of the same stupid mistakes and quite frankly terrible in game coaching.

Last night was embarrassing for the program. Homecoming with a 16 point spread and Purdue literally should have lost the game at home to a directional Florida school that got beat 40-14 by UCF. This is after a complete and utter debacle at Syracuse.

This team is not well prepared and not well coached. We had to play a 1 safety deep defense to stop FAU from running it down our throats. Then got burned on long pass plays several times.

Recruiting and development in year 6 is just plain bad. Our best offensive threat is a transfer from Iowa ( not sure what happened to all those 4 star WR recruits). Our linebackers and DEs just aren't good with no real improvement in sight. Our running game against P5 opponents is still at the bottom of the league because our OL can't get a push. And we're down to 2 transfer running backs from non power 5 programs and a walk-on.

Does that help you understand why people might be starting to get negative about Brohm?
I thought it was because he won 9 games and a bowl game or maybe sending a couple to the NFL. When did that happen last at Purdue?

Yes, some bad plays, bad calls and bad penalties and I'm sure he wants us to improve. We're literally a few plays from being undefeated. I'll take it!

How quickly we forget the dark days of Hazell. Is Brohm the next Nick Saban? No. But the next Nick Saban is never coaching here. Brohm is a good coach who has gotten us out of the gloom and doom of 1 win seasons. He stayed at Purdue when his hometown team came calling. We're getting guys into the NFL again. I'm hopeful that we can turn things around this season and we have some ballers coming in. Stay the course gentlemen (and women).
Hey, Ainters have to have somebody to Aint and it happens to be FB season.

Why do you use an exclamation point on basically every sentence? It’s poor form.

Just about everything you said is false. Hope’s teams played in the Little Caesar’s Bowl in Detroit and the Heart of Dallas Bowl (he was fired before that game was played). Brohm’s teams played in 3 bowls - Foster Farms and the Music City Bowl (2x). The Music City Bowl is way more prestigious than the ones Hope’s teams played in. We played good to very good SEC teams in Auburn and Tennessee. Brohm is 2-1 in bowls at Purdue and his teams are 5-1 overall in bowls.

Hope went 19-25 (0.431). Sorry, that’s not really close to 0.500.

The situation is very different now than when Hope was coach. Purdue is in a big money conference and can afford to pay more. Purdue now has an AD, President, and BoT that actually care about football and have given it priority. Hope had Morgan Burke and a President that didn’t seem to care about athletics at all.

If you want to be competitive in this day and age you need to pay up. You can’t pay $1-2M/yr anymore. Again, Hope was not as successful as Brohm and contending he is is just plain dumb. Our team is significantly more competitive now than Hope’s were against the strongest teams in the conference. Hope did ok considering the hand he was dealt but there is a good reason he was fired.
I think Hopes teams were 22 and 27 and 13 and 19 in Big Ten play.

Meyer would have been a recruiting machine… at least until the NCAA caught up with him.
I agree.To this day,one thing I have against Jimmy Irsay is that he intercepted Ron Meyer,threw more money at him than Purdue could,and the Boilermakers wound up with Fred Akers,who flopped something awful at Purdue.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Bumpity bump...

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Funny how Saban is so revered now and everyone forgets when he was at MSU getting his ass beat routinely in the BIG. So when you say the next Nick Saban is never coming here be careful what you say as it could happen and he could be a complete failure.

ADVERTISEMENT