ADVERTISEMENT

What's with all the Brohm negativity?

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
How quickly we forget the dark days of Hazell. Is Brohm the next Nick Saban? No. But the next Nick Saban is never coaching here. Brohm is a good coach who has gotten us out of the gloom and doom of 1 win seasons. He stayed at Purdue when his hometown team came calling. We're getting guys into the NFL again. I'm hopeful that we can turn things around this season and we have some ballers coming in. Stay the course gentlemen (and women).

How quickly we forget the dark days of Hazell. Is Brohm the next Nick Saban? No. But the next Nick Saban is never coaching here. Brohm is a good coach who has gotten us out of the gloom and doom of 1 win seasons. He stayed at Purdue when his hometown team came calling. We're getting guys into the NFL again. I'm hopeful that we can turn things around this season and we have some ballers coming in. Stay the course gentlemen (and women).

Why are people negative? Because every game it's like groundhog day. We find the same ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and learn nothing from it. This is the most favorable schedule this program is likely to get with the best depth he's had on paper and we're currently 2-2 because of the same stupid mistakes and quite frankly terrible in game coaching.

Last night was embarrassing for the program. Homecoming with a 16 point spread and Purdue literally should have lost the game at home to a directional Florida school that got beat 40-14 by UCF. This is after a complete and utter debacle at Syracuse.

This team is not well prepared and not well coached. We had to play a 1 safety deep defense to stop FAU from running it down our throats. Then got burned on long pass plays several times.

Recruiting and development in year 6 is just plain bad. Our best offensive threat is a transfer from Iowa ( not sure what happened to all those 4 star WR recruits). Our linebackers and DEs just aren't good with no real improvement in sight. Our running game against P5 opponents is still at the bottom of the league because our OL can't get a push. And we're down to 2 transfer running backs from non power 5 programs and a walk-on.

Does that help you understand why people might be starting to get negative about Brohm?

The issue is the same issues from year 1 plague the program. Still have pretty bad time/clock management, still abandon the run (usually) with 1 score leads in the 4th, defense gives up big plays, stupid bone- headed penalties cost us games, massive coaching turnover every year. That's the negativity for me.

CJB needs to learn on the job and it doesn't appear he is.

At least a couple of accurate responses on the matter, and, covers a lot of the things that should be as well.

To use Hazell as any sort of measuring stick is as ridiculous as it gets, as, that guy was the most incompetent coach maybe ever...and, somehow did not just expose that, but, compounded it by hiring the worst OC of all time (mirrored by Brohm incredibly with his hire of Diaco on the other side of the ball).

It is YEAR 6...that Purdue managed to win a game that it absolutely should have lost...to a team that it has absolutely no business losing to...with all of the problems that were on display...on the field and on the sideline...should at the very least be concerning, if not outright disappointing...but, it definitely is not anything that should be celebrated, much less ignored, in any way.

On a more general level (in addition to the reasons others have given above) is the complete predictability of meltdowns and breakdowns of Brohm's teams.

Brohm was sold as an innovator on offense -- and he was innovative and unpredictable to start. But his play calling has for awhile been bland if not downright illogical and simplistic.

If the personnel in year six are incapable of executing unpredictability wild and creative schemes, and barely able to hang with Florida Atlantic, whose fault is that?

We can point and laugh and say "Hope 2.0!" But Brohm is not compensated as Hope was, and thus far this season he is not earning that pay.

On a more general level (in addition to the reasons others have given above) is the complete predictability of meltdowns and breakdowns of Brohm's teams.

Brohm was sold as an innovator on offense -- and he was innovative and unpredictable to start. But his play calling has for awhile been bland if not downright illogical and simplistic.

If the personnel in year six are incapable of executing unpredictability wild and creative schemes, and barely able to hang with Florida Atlantic, whose fault is that?

We can point and laugh and say "Hope 2.0!" But Brohm is not compensated as Hope was, and thus far this season he is not earning that pay.
Nailed it on the last point...Brohm is getting substantially more than Hope ever did, to do some of the exact same things. Crazy to me that things that were just dumb and unacceptable for Hope are somehow ignored, or, accepted with Brohm...that he is able to convince himself that he is somehow smarter than everyone is odd...that others somehow support or believe it is borderline insane.

Why are people negative? Because every game it's like groundhog day. We find the same ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and learn nothing from it. This is the most favorable schedule this program is likely to get with the best depth he's had on paper and we're currently 2-2 because of the same stupid mistakes and quite frankly terrible in game coaching.

Last night was embarrassing for the program. Homecoming with a 16 point spread and Purdue literally should have lost the game at home to a directional Florida school that got beat 40-14 by UCF. This is after a complete and utter debacle at Syracuse.

This team is not well prepared and not well coached. We had to play a 1 safety deep defense to stop FAU from running it down our throats. Then got burned on long pass plays several times.

Recruiting and development in year 6 is just plain bad. Our best offensive threat is a transfer from Iowa ( not sure what happened to all those 4 star WR recruits). Our linebackers and DEs just aren't good with no real improvement in sight. Our running game against P5 opponents is still at the bottom of the league because our OL can't get a push. And we're down to 2 transfer running backs from non power 5 programs and a walk-on.

Does that help you understand why people might be starting to get negative about Brohm?
oof...comparative scores

Syracuse 31 Louisville 7

Louisville 20 UCF 14

UCF 40 FAU 14

Reactions: pb1941 and DAG10
The critics on this board have forgotten what the Hope teams were like if they think Brohm's teams are comparable. While Hope's teams took care of business against non-P5 opponents that they should take care of, unlike Brohm whose stumbled a few times, they were non-competitive against superior opponents, which is not the case with Brohm. From a qualitative standpoint, Brohm teams all pass the eye test better than Hope teams. Now, I am not saying Hope is a bad coach or even that he is a worse coach in any way than Brohm. He was not given the same support Brohm has, so it's not fair to compare.

As for this year's team, I think there's plenty of others that can take responsibility. Clearly our current DCs are not close to the same caliber as Brad Lambert, which was not entirely expected. We do have some attrition there due to the NFL draft and injuries, which explains some of the deficiencies as well. Especially the lack of pass rush, which also affects our secondary. It's clear from this current recruiting class he is filling those needs. I think the lack of good linebacker play is on Brohm however, since he did not recruit well in that position. I don't see anyone in the pipeline either that might fill those needs.

As for the offense, the o-line is much improved! It should be the expectation, but at Purdue I can't recall an equally good offensive line since Hope's first year or maybe even going back to 2007 in Curtis Painter's junior year. The wide receivers have been hurt by Broc Thompson's/ARY/Elijah Canion's injuries, loss of Milton Wright and of course David Bell going to the NFL. All that is hardly on Brohm. The running back room looks as good as it has been since we had Tario Fuller, DJ Knox and Markell Jones. QB room goes without saying. Tight end are better than we have had as well but also affected by injury.

I understand that's frustration with our current record, but I don't think it's mostly on Brohm. I think we've played some good teams and lost in competitive manner as much as that sucks. But we weren't too far off from 4-0. I hope it doesn't become a Nebraska 2021 like situation though where we keep losing close games.

The critics on this board have forgotten what the Hope teams were like if they think Brohm's teams are comparable. While Hope's teams took care of business against non-P5 opponents that they should take care of, unlike Brohm whose stumbled a few times, they were non-competitive against superior opponents, which is not the case with Brohm. From a qualitative standpoint, Brohm teams all pass the eye test better than Hope teams. Now, I am not saying Hope is a bad coach or even that he is a worse coach in any way than Brohm. He was not given the same support Brohm has, so it's not fair to compare.

As for this year's team, I think there's plenty of others that can take responsibility. Clearly our current DCs are not close to the same caliber as Brad Lambert, which was not entirely expected. We do have some attrition there due to the NFL draft and injuries, which explains some of the deficiencies as well. Especially the lack of pass rush, which also affects our secondary. It's clear from this current recruiting class he is filling those needs. I think the lack of good linebacker play is on Brohm however, since he did not recruit well in that position. I don't see anyone in the pipeline either that might fill those needs.

As for the offense, the o-line is much improved! It should be the expectation, but at Purdue I can't recall an equally good offensive line since Hope's first year or maybe even going back to 2007 in Curtis Painter's junior year. The wide receivers have been hurt by Broc Thompson's/ARY/Elijah Canion's injuries, loss of Milton Wright and of course David Bell going to the NFL. All that is hardly on Brohm. The running back room looks as good as it has been since we had Tario Fuller, DJ Knox and Markell Jones. QB room goes without saying. Tight end are better than we have had as well but also affected by injury.

I understand that's frustration with our current record, but I don't think it's mostly on Brohm. I think we've played some good teams and lost in competitive manner as much as that sucks. But we weren't too far off from 4-0. I hope it doesn't become a Nebraska 2021 like situation though where we keep losing close games.
Not to defend Hope in any way, as, I have no interest in doing so...but, just in thinking about it for a mere 3 seconds or so, I recall beating OSU at home, the best performance in Columbus by a Purdue team since maybe Fred Akers that also should have been a win, and, a win in Ann Arbor...along with a win at home against them with a guy that had not even played QB...and, like say, that is with next to no thought at all on the matter.

Lambert would appear to be the only DC that Brohm has had that was even remotely good...now on to 4th guy(s) in 6 years, and, the current group does not appear to be the answer, so, a 5th is looming...and, based on the past, hard to get excited about the prospect of Brohm hiring yet another one.

As far as personnel, it absolutely is on Brohm...that there is not a guy capable of generating ANY pass rush is on him...that LBs are poor again, and, largely have been save anyone that he inherited, is on him...that he has not recognized or addressed either is squarely on him.

OL...I don't know if your point says more about just how bad some of the others were as much as anything else, as, the one in place is not very good...and, it has been shown as such time and time again with the inability to convert in short yardage situations.

WRs...just think of the number of guys recruited at the position...seemingly high level guys, and, realize that not only is the new guy that transferred in the best guy, but, that it is not even close...THAT is not a product of injury either.

RBs...come on, I like these guys and absolutely respect and love their effort, but, to suggest that "that room" compares to really ANY other such room that I can even recall at Purdue is just not accurate.

There have been 7 head coaches at Purdue since i started following the program. Brohm is better than all but one of them.

There have been 7 head coaches at Purdue since i started following the program. Brohm is better than all but one of them.
Got it. I witnessed from Akers thru now. Tiller was by far the best. Your bar is set very low if you're gonna compare him to the rest...

Is that more an indictment of them though?

I mean, a couple of those guys were SO bad, that, almost anyone could/would be better.

And, probably most importantly, just imagine how good he could/would be if he were to quit calling plays AND had a legitimate DC...even if he still had some of his existing recruiting struggles.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
Some thoughts..

(1) Brohm has been more valuable to Purdue football than any coach besides Tiller in the last 40 years. I don't think there is even an argument to be made against this.
(2) No coach is entirely immune to criticism and we all have areas for improvement. This is especially true in the age of exorbitant salaries, more on that later.
(3) These boards exist to share perspectives, positive and critical. When things are bouncing your way there are naturally going to be more criticisms. From the bowl game through the preseason the comments were mostly positive. The internet is any but even keeled. Just come to expect it.
(4) However.. There needs to be more distinction between pointing out areas for improvement (while showing support) and withdrawing support. No reasonable Purdue fan should be in the latter category right now.
(5) A coach can reasonably be judged with respect to his compensation. What is the opportunity cost? Hope was probably one of the better coaches Purdue was going to get at the time for under $1M a year. Hazell was a dumpster fire for $2M+.

More on point #5. With the new Big Ten media money, it is a new world that Purdue is playing in. This makes Brohm's performance a curious study. Yes, he has been great for Purdue and Purdue has trationally has not fared well in the coaching market. However, if some day Brohm walked away or shows a couple years of decline, and they could now approach someone like Dave Clawson, Dave Aranda, or Matt Campbell and tell him "pack your things, you're coming with us" that's a totally different scenario than the days when the options were a coordinator or G5 one-year wonder.

Last edited:
The negativity starts and ends with his paycheck and his record! If we wanted a .500 team we could have kept Hope! If we wanted mediocre bowl games, we could have kept hope!

I didn’t like Brohm using louisville as leverage to get a bigger contract!
And for the same amount of success, we were paying hope a lot less! With more pay comes higher expectations!

clear and simple the negativity comes from his paycheck. Then again if they didn’t give him that money, what other stupid project would they have spent it on?

You’re negative because you’re just a negative person. You base all your comments and thoughts on a per game basis and sometimes a per play, basis. We could have a player with 5 great games in a row and he misses a tackle and you say he sucks. That’s who you are. A negative, non athletic, puss.

You’re negative because you’re just a negative person. You base all your comments and thoughts on a per game basis and sometimes a per play, basis. We could have a player with 5 great games in a row and he misses a tackle and you say he sucks. That’s who you are. A negative, non athletic, puss.

Yeah, all of your posts berating other fans on here are so positive...that's all you do here. I've not seen one single positive post from you. Yet here you are being the hypocrite you are.

Have you noticed that no other people here interact with you? Well, it's because you're a douche.

If you don't like what's being posted here by others, why don't you just not come back?

Some thoughts..

(1) Brohm has been more valuable to Purdue football than any coach besides Tiller in the last 40 years. I don't think there is even an argument to be made against this.
(2) No coach is entirely immune to criticism and we all have areas for improvement. This is especially true in the age of exorbitant salaries, more on that later.
(3) These boards exist to share perspectives, positive and critical. When things are bouncing your way there are naturally going to be more criticisms. From the bowl game through the preseason the comments were mostly positive. The internet is any but even keeled. Just come to expect it.
(4) However.. There needs to be more distinction between pointing out areas for improvement (while showing support) and withdrawing support. No reasonable Purdue fan should be in the latter category right now.
(5) A coach can reasonably be judged with respect to his compensation. What is the opportunity cost? Hope was probably one of the better coaches Purdue was going to get at the time for under $1M a year. Hazell was a dumpster fire for $2M+.

More on point #5. With the new Big Ten media money, it is a new world that Purdue is playing in. This makes Brohm's performance a curious study. Yes, he has been great for Purdue and Purdue has trationally has not fared well in the coaching market. However, if some day Brohm walked away or shows a couple years of decline, and they could now approach someone like Dave Clawson, Dave Aranda, or Matt Campbell and tell him "pack your things, you're coming with us" that's a totally different scenario than the days when the options were a coordinator or G5 one-year wonder.

Brohm has been more valuable than many. What I'd like to see from him is not that he leaves. But that he changes what he's doing. There's so much improvement that he could make if he wouldn't have his nose stuck in the playbook the whole game. All he has to do is hand it over to his brother, who is more than capable.

The negativity starts and ends with his paycheck and his record! If we wanted a .500 team we could have kept Hope! If we wanted mediocre bowl games, we could have kept hope!

And for the same amount of success, we were paying hope a lot less! With more pay comes higher expectations!

clear and simple the negativity comes from his paycheck. Then again if they didn’t give him that money, what other stupid project would they have spent it on?
Why do you use an exclamation point on basically every sentence? It’s poor form.

Just about everything you said is false. Hope’s teams played in the Little Caesar’s Bowl in Detroit and the Heart of Dallas Bowl (he was fired before that game was played). Brohm’s teams played in 3 bowls - Foster Farms and the Music City Bowl (2x). The Music City Bowl is way more prestigious than the ones Hope’s teams played in. We played good to very good SEC teams in Auburn and Tennessee. Brohm is 2-1 in bowls at Purdue and his teams are 5-1 overall in bowls.

Hope went 19-25 (0.431). Sorry, that’s not really close to 0.500.

The situation is very different now than when Hope was coach. Purdue is in a big money conference and can afford to pay more. Purdue now has an AD, President, and BoT that actually care about football and have given it priority. Hope had Morgan Burke and a President that didn’t seem to care about athletics at all.

If you want to be competitive in this day and age you need to pay up. You can’t pay $1-2M/yr anymore. Again, Hope was not as successful as Brohm and contending he is is just plain dumb. Our team is significantly more competitive now than Hope’s were against the strongest teams in the conference. Hope did ok considering the hand he was dealt but there is a good reason he was fired.

Some Knuckleheads just love to bitch and moan.

clear and simple the negativity comes from his paycheck. Then again if they didn’t give him that money, what other stupid project would they have spent it on?||
CMP used Mizzou for leverage, common practice

Yeah, all of your posts berating other fans on here are so positive...that's all you do here. I've not seen one single positive post from you. Yet here you are being the hypocrite you are.

Have you noticed that no other people here interact with you? Well, it's because you're a douche.

If you don't like what's being posted here by others, why don't you just not come back?
You’re not only a puss, you’re an idiot. Look at all your post, filled with negativity about our coaches in our players. It makes sense though, you were a non-athlete who got bullied because you’re a little puss.

Reactions: You nailed it
I went to that game against OSU - think I left at half-time when we were down 28-0..... so brutal
That game was miserable including the weather. I got sick right after that game, maybe from sitting in the cold rain. Boilers play didn’t help.

Reactions: DAG10
Don’t call him negative! If you do he’ll post 2,897 times you’re a narcissist !

• Love
Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
CMP used Mizzou for leverage, common practice
It’s also a common practice for fans to have higher expectations of a coach when they receiver an increased paycheck! Yes, it’s common practice to use other schools as leverage. But once you get that big paycheck, fans expect you to earn it.

I was just stating the facts! The negativity towards Brohm started when he received that first big paycheck extension! Before that everybody loved him. After he got his big paycheck, the honeymoon was over.

and then people started comparing his record and also his paycheck with what Hope received and also what Hope produced. Before last year, both Hope and Brohm coached Purdue to the same amount of Bowl games. And their overall record at Purdue was close to being the same. However Brohm was being paid significantly more than Hope was paid while producing basically the same results.

as I said, people started being negative when they started comparing Brohm’s salary to what Hope received. And they started saying if we wanted a 6-6 season, we could easily just kept Hope!

I was never a huge fan of Hope. I hated Hazell. But Hope wasn’t paid anywhere close to what Brohm is being paid. Is Brohm earning his pay? You be the judge!

then again, what football coach really earns their pay?

ADVERTISEMENT