ADVERTISEMENT

What would Purdue fans think of Micah Shrewsberry coming back as an assistant to Coach Painter?

Call me curious. But how much does the assistant coach who has the game plan actually do during the game? Do the players look at him for a play when going up the court? I don't many opportunities to watch huddles as they usually break for commercial. Is it the assistant coach or painter who is calling the play? In the majority of games I've watched it appeared to be the head coach drawing up the play designs. Is Purdue different from other schools when it comes to play calling by assistant coaches?

That's why I asked what's more important- an assistant coach known for his ability to recruit or one known for his play calling ability.
You were in the Service. It's just like an Officer with warrant officers.

You were in the Service. It's just like an Officer with warrant officers.

I guess I just followed AAU and bad high school basketball too much. the players never looked to the sidelines for any of their plays. or When they did, it was the head coach who called all of the plays. The assistants basically did nothing. and that led me to believe that Painter was more responsible for the game play calling.

I'm under the impression that Coach Lutz is supposedly responsible for both defensive position and recruiting. He's basically Painter's defensive coordinator. Since he's been a terrible recruiter, is it possible Painter's next assistant coach could be responsible for both recruiting and be the offensive coordinator?

Did I hear wrong or did CMP mention looking at "Micah's rating sheets" during his DD show appearance yesterday?

Eh not sold that's a reason to go from an assistant at a top NBA team to college. I'm guessing continuing in his current path still gets him a mid major job when he wants it.

$$ for one. Can't imagine we would match his current salary

Maybe anticipation Brad Stevens will be fired this upcoming offseason . Then he would be unemployed . Purdue is building something great . Matt Painter has as much job security as any coach in college. Bouncing from job to job in the NBA sounds less fun than teaming up with the GOAT of college basketball

Maybe anticipation Brad Stevens will be fired this upcoming offseason . Then he would be unemployed . Purdue is building something great . Matt Painter has as much job security as any coach in college. Bouncing from job to job in the NBA sounds less fun than teaming up with the GOAT of college basketball
Um, do you know what GOAT stands for?

Reactions: DAG10
Highly unlikely and its Guaranteed Stevens would get another job.

Shrewsberry will always have seat on Steven’s bench—and Stevens if gonna have a bench for a long time. It’s whether Shrews wants to return to the college game or not.

Honestly I don't know for sure. It was an opinion, a different perspective. It seems like you have all the facts. You might as well tell us what he's having for breakfast tomorrow as well.

Any hot rumors or lead info? It seems like we are waiting for an NBA assistant still in the playoffs or negotiating with a big name assistant.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Any hot rumors or lead info? It seems like we are waiting for an NBA assistant still in the playoffs or negotiating with a big name assistant.
I heard he has accepted but won’t be announced until the Celtic’s season is over.

Reactions: TX4GB
Coach Shrew coming back to Purdue for a HC opportunity is literally what he would be coming back for. Look at the last three assistants that have left Purdue:
Martin: SW Missouri State
Owen: Miami (OH)
Gary: Mercer

Those are three really good programs to get as a first time HC at the D1 level or to return to after being an assistant at Purdue. Nobody is jumping to Arkansas Pine Bluff or Chicago State from Purdue.
So how come he declined the interview for the Georgia State head coach position?

Call me curious. But how much does the assistant coach who has the game plan actually do during the game? Do the players look at him for a play when going up the court? I don't many opportunities to watch huddles as they usually break for commercial. Is it the assistant coach or painter who is calling the play? In the majority of games I've watched it appeared to be the head coach drawing up the play designs. Is Purdue different from other schools when it comes to play calling by assistant coaches?

That's why I asked what's more important- an assistant coach known for his ability to recruit or one known for his play calling ability.
Yeah take Greg Gary for instance this past season, he called all the plays on the board and in timeouts and stuff he drew plays up. So the Assistant Coach that does the game planning has a huge role in games. That’s why losing Gary scares me a bit.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
Yeah take Greg Gary for instance this past season, he called all the plays on the board and in timeouts and stuff he drew plays up. So the Assistant Coach that does the game planning has a huge role in games. That’s why losing Gary scares me a bit.
I feel the same way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT