ADVERTISEMENT

What would Purdue fans think of Micah Shrewsberry coming back as an assistant to Coach Painter?

He wants to become a college head coach and Painter's top assistants generally land good mid major head coaching situations within a couple of years.

Eh not sold that's a reason to go from an assistant at a top NBA team to college. I'm guessing continuing in his current path still gets him a mid major job when he wants it.

$$ for one. Can't imagine we would match his current salary

Reactions: cjcollie and DAG10
Eh not sold that's a reason to go from an assistant at a top NBA team to college. I'm guessing continuing in his current path still gets him a mid major job when he wants it.

Coach Shrew coming back to Purdue for a HC opportunity is literally what he would be coming back for. Look at the last three assistants that have left Purdue:
Martin: SW Missouri State
Owen: Miami (OH)
Gary: Mercer

Those are three really good programs to get as a first time HC at the D1 level or to return to after being an assistant at Purdue. Nobody is jumping to Arkansas Pine Bluff or Chicago State from Purdue.

Not all mid major programs are equal, but the biggest factor is recruiting. He will need/want to get back into the recruiting game to develop contacts and scout players for future positions. NBA coaches don't do this and it is necessary to be successful.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Not all mid major programs are equal, but the biggest factor is recruiting. He will need/want to get back into the recruiting game to develop contacts and scout players for future positions. NBA coaches don't do this and it is necessary to be successful.

Yeah, disagree. Would be pleasantly surprised, but he might be up for an NBA head job if Celts win a title in next three years. No reason to get off that wagon to spend a couple of years getting ready for a mid major gig.

Crazier thing have happened, just not that many

Maybe he prefers the college coaching to the pro coaching. If he wants to be a college head coach, then the move to Painter's staff would make real sense. Plus, having a guy who was on the Celtics staff would seem to me to be a great advantage in recruiting high-level players.

a dumb question. how many NBA assistant coaches have come back to the college level to be just an assistant coach? I know there are a few like Larry Brown and Lou Holtz who have come back as head coaches.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Yeah, disagree. Would be pleasantly surprised, but he might be up for an NBA head job if Celts win a title in next three years. No reason to get off that wagon to spend a couple of years getting ready for a mid major gig.

Crazier thing have happened, just not that many
Thought the same as well but wondered if he is tired of the constant drama being in the NBA? I don't follow the NBA that closely but the nonsense all season with Kyrie could get to anyone.

You forgot Lusk. You could also maybe say Rick Ray, though we got outbid by Clemson (thanks, previous administration!) and he was an assistant there for a little bit before he got his first head coaching gig
Losing Rick Ray and Kevin Sumlin to lateral positions, for nominal pay bumps pretty well sums up the Morgue administration

Shrewsberry is their 4th assistant, so likely won't even be considered for a head coaching job any time soon. Read the tea leaves... The season is over and we still haven't filled our open assistant position. Logic would take that to mean our main target is not available at the current time.

Like I said I'm fine with it. But there is a lot of random unconnected dots being connected... We'll see I guess.

But to your points, I do hope it's this, as we could use a full staff before spring/summer recruiting really gets going.

Coach Shrew coming back to Purdue for a HC opportunity is literally what he would be coming back for. Look at the last three assistants that have left Purdue:
Martin: SW Missouri State
Owen: Miami (OH)
Gary: Mercer

Those are three really good programs to get as a first time HC at the D1 level or to return to after being an assistant at Purdue. Nobody is jumping to Arkansas Pine Bluff or Chicago State from Purdue.
There are some rumblings at Butler with Lavall. Shrew would definitely be a consideration should teh rumblings grow over time...FYI

Shrewsberry is their 4th assistant, so likely won't even be considered for a head coaching job any time soon. Read the tea leaves... The season is over and we still haven't filled our open assistant position. Logic would take that to mean our main target is not available at the current time.
I think Matt has even stated since the tourney ended that the coach was not currently available.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
There are some rumblings at Butler with Lavall. Shrew would definitely be a consideration should teh rumblings grow over time...FYI
There's a lot of rumbling at Butler about Lavall. He's on a 100 foot deep lake with 1" of ice next year. But I don't think they'd come after S'Berry TJ....not enough experience and the next hire at Butler has to be a home run.

Reactions: DAG10
I think people quickly forget how impactful Gary was in our gameplanning and execution. He ran our offense. That’s the gap we have to fill.

what's more important ? Hiring an assistant coach to take over game planning? or to improve our recruiting ability? I have to believe Painter is a pretty good game planner.

There's a lot of rumbling at Butler about Lavall. He's on a 100 foot deep lake with 1" of ice next year. But I don't think they'd come after S'Berry TJ....not enough experience and the next hire at Butler has to be a home run.
Could be correct...i just know Lavall has some rumblings. Course if they give Lavall a couple more years and things don't progress...who knows? I haven't checked to see who returns for Butler, but they need to have a good year. Off subject, but just found out my niece's daughter will be a cheerleader for Butler. Had she not made the team, she would have stayed in Florida...now it will cost mom and dad a few $$$ ;)

Reactions: Purdue85
Could be correct...i just know Lavall has some rumblings. Course if they give Lavall a couple more years and things don't progress...who knows? I haven't checked to see who returns for Butler, but they need to have a good year. Off subject, but just found out my niece's daughter will be a cheerleader for Butler. Had she not made the team, she would have stayed in Florida...now it will cost mom and dad a few $$$ ;)
These private schools have gotten outrageous.

I'm extremely grateful my son chose Purdue over Rose Hulman...!

:eek:

Reactions: tjreese

I gave my son a choice - public instate school with a partial scholarship, or get a full scholarship to attend a private or out of state school.

Reactions: Purdue85

Dad is a Purdue grad. Mom, grandma, grandpa and uncle and great uncle are Butler grads. She was on quite a cheerleading team winning nationally and didn't know if she could make Purdue. :( Butler grabbed her quickly and so she will be at Butler. I don't know enough about cheerleading, but she is 5'10" or so and maybe a base???? Her jumps are high..got that from grandpa that could hit 12.5 ft. ;) Anyway, yep it is going to cost them!!!! ;)

what's more important ? Hiring an assistant coach to take over game planning? or to improve our recruiting ability? I have to believe Painter is a pretty good game planner.
The head coach shouldn’t be calling plays every possession. But I assume you realize that.

Like I said I'm fine with it. But there is a lot of random unconnected dots being connected... We'll see I guess.

But to your points, I do hope it's this, as we could use a full staff before spring/summer recruiting really gets going.

There’s real smoke here. He’s missed on a couple of college head coaching positions the last two years, looking to fill a gap in his resume. Would be a great add, even if only for a year or two.

Reactions: DAG10
Call me curious. But how much does the assistant coach who has the game plan actually do during the game? Do the players look at him for a play when going up the court? I don't many opportunities to watch huddles as they usually break for commercial. Is it the assistant coach or painter who is calling the play? In the majority of games I've watched it appeared to be the head coach drawing up the play designs. Is Purdue different from other schools when it comes to play calling by assistant coaches?

That's why I asked what's more important- an assistant coach known for his ability to recruit or one known for his play calling ability.

Call me curious. But how much does the assistant coach who has the game plan actually do during the game? Do the players look at him for a play when going up the court?
Have you ever watched a Purdue basketball game?

A majority of times when we are bringing the ball up, Gary is the one who stands up with a play written on the white board.

And she'll look so cute in that little blue and white outfit.

Reactions: tjreese
I only get to watch the games via TV which hardly ever focuses on the bench. That's why I was asking. So you're saying our basketball is much like football with the players following the play calling from the bench? Is that common for most big basketball programs? I'm used to the days where the point guard was the floor general and basically called all the plays.

I admit, at this time the vast majority of basketball games I see are on TV. Like most SIU fans, I don't go to their games.

I also readily admit I've gained a lot of knowledge from the other posters on this board! You don't find this type of info shared elsewhere!

Call me curious. But how much does the assistant coach who has the game plan actually do during the game? Do the players look at him for a play when going up the court? I don't many opportunities to watch huddles as they usually break for commercial. Is it the assistant coach or painter who is calling the play? In the majority of games I've watched it appeared to be the head coach drawing up the play designs. Is Purdue different from other schools when it comes to play calling by assistant coaches?

That's why I asked what's more important- an assistant coach known for his ability to recruit or one known for his play calling ability.
Assistants are communicating game situations and adjustments to players who are going in the game and to those coming out. They help feed adjustments to the head coach. Often you see them writing plays on white boards. When they aren’t doing that they are observing the game and taking direction from head coach on what he wants a plan to correct.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT