ADVERTISEMENT

What will average attendance be next year?

Just what we need right now........................ a stronger schedule!!!
flush.r191677.gif

Re: Expect another drop....

particularly in season tix. I am seriously considering not renewing and finding something more fun to do on Saturday afternoons. Sticking a sharp stick in my eye is under consideration. Somebody suggested throwing in lap dances in the stands as an incentive. Maybe in the tent at the patio would be an appropriate place.

Season Ticket Sales: 19,000 is what I am expecting. This final drop really leaves the absolute core of the fan base that Purdue has for football. If the season is another 3 or less wins next year, the AD could be looking at season ticket sales below 16k for the 2016 season.

Total Average Attendance: Looking at roughly 30k possibly but I'm not sure the AD can bank on 11k showing up randomly every saturday.

Depends what kind of changes are made this off season. A complete overhaul with a good coach and attendance might go UP. No changes or very little, likely you'll see more people at the local high school games than Purdue football.

Originally posted by JohnnyDoeBoiler:
Season Ticket Sales: 19,000 is what I am expecting. This final drop really leaves the absolute core of the fan base that Purdue has for football. If the season is another 3 or less wins next year, the AD could be looking at season ticket sales below 16k for the 2016 season.

Total Average Attendance: Looking at roughly 30k possibly but I'm not sure the AD can bank on 11k showing up randomly every saturday.
Generally agree. Perhaps there is an opponent on the schedule that will bring a lot of fans and inflate some days.

I think its worth noting that they are erroding the 'core fans'. I will probably always attend as a convienent meeting point with family and Im a sucker for Purdue in the fall. Lately I can feel the emotional impact of attending in spite of the actual game so it makes me susseptible to other events over time. Even other fans on here that feverously posted defenses of the current HC/Staff threatening to not attend/care without a new OC.

Originally posted by BBG:
Depends what kind of changes are made this off season. A complete overhaul with a good coach and attendance might go UP. No changes or very little, likely you'll see more people at the local high school games than Purdue football.
Unless someone leaves on their own, i wouldnt anticipate changes... unfortunately

Originally posted by nat100:

Unless someone leaves on their own, i wouldnt anticipate changes... unfortunately
If a change were to happen, there is probably no likely time table? Just sometime between now February or so? I know some coaches stay on past signing day to get classes signed before moving on. Thats probably less of an impact for us at the moment.

How about the Glass swimming pool in the end zone like they have at the Jacksonville Jaguars football games!
eek.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SunnyFL24:
How about the Glass swimming pool in the end zone like they have at the Jacksonville Jaguars football games!
eek.r191677.gif
We can ice skate on it in November!

Originally posted by nat100:
Maybe I'm looking at this through too narrow of a lens, but it seems pretty simple to me. You have to fire the offensive coordinator. It's not necessarily because I believe he's 100% at fault - far from it actually as there is plenty of blame to share in a 3-9 season with 0 quality wins. The real reason you fire him is two-fold: 1) from a systematic approach to problem solving, it only makes sense to start low/small and work up; you don't can the whole staff without at least trying to isolate a problem and fix it. 2) it shows that the program expects more and that people will be held accountable; in other words, it sends the right message that Purdue is serious about it's program. Two years of pretty lousy offense... frankly it doesn't matter if he's only 50% of problem, you have to make a change. I'm not sure there's even a reasonable counterargument that a) addresses the problem, and b) sends the message that Purdue is striving to be better.

I know people hate comparisons to IU (and this is a particularly bad analogy given what Purdue experienced this weekend), but look at IU's defense last year. It was AWFUL. Yes, it was far worse comparatively speaking that Purdue's offense this year, no question. But they didn't fire the athletic director or the head coach because of it. You start at the lowest level and work up. IU got a new D coordinator to see if they could fix the problem without setting off a bomb under the whole football program. IU's defense is anything but attractive, but it was better this season than last year. I think that is obvious to anyone. And it may have been just good enough to get them bowl eligible with a couple extra wins if the starting quarterback doesn't go down early in the year. Regardless, the point is I don't think you start at the top to solve problems unless you've already tried a less severe alternative first that didn't work. Step 1 is to try something different at the offensive coordinator position. That's the worst side of the football, much like IU's worst side of the football last year was defense. If that doesn't work, you move up the ladder. That's my 2 cents.

This post was edited on 12/1 3:57 PM by Statey

Hire the most innovative OC in D2, NAIA, D3....let him run the show. Keep Hazell away from the offense. Hire an new QB coach. Attendance will average less than 35k.....and we cant afford a buyout???? do the math...we need a change from TOP to bottom

The individual you speak of is Bob Stitt...a name that has been thrown here

already for a few weeks (in my case, I brought him up when Hazell was looking for an OC two years ago). If you can't pull a Bob Stitt from Colorado School of Mines, then you have to look at pulling a large check for a top coordinator. In all honesty, has anyone given the old Olson a thought? He is a QB guru and was on staff here before he bolted for the NFL. Can he run an offense or has he ever been given reigns to an offense? At the least, bring him in to coach QB's.

Re: Expect another drop....

Originally posted by PaBoiler78:

for our fans or the fans from the visiting team?
Those are the worst years!!! It might be great for some to see the attendance numbers go up...but when they are not Purdue fans in the seats, it is tough!!! I would not consider that a positive rise in attendance!

Two of our top five attendance averages came with losing teams following losing teams - 1982 and 1983 - both under Leon Burtnett. For those not around back then, his style of speech wasn't unlike that of Danny Hope. And he often lost. The difference was Leon fielded future NFL QBs Scott Campbell and Jim Everett, who etched their names on the Cradle, and he brought in the nation's top recruit, Jeff George, who gave his mom a ride on the head-case cart before sailing off.

Otherwise, the top 10 for attendance consists of Young with Herrmann (plus one huge hangover that tops all) and Tiller with Brees and Orton … an obvious pattern … in addition to selling season tickets to more than 20,000 students through a chump-change fee until 1989. Unlike the palm-staring students of today, those Boilers showed up as a community, enjoying the actual company of 20,000 of their peers … and clubbing well beyond breakfast.

This year, with Hazell and quarterbacks who ranked No. 123 out of 125 teams in NCAA passing efficiency, we recorded our lowest attendance average in more than 60 years. Since 1953, Purdue had never averaged less than 40,000 for home games. This year, our biggest home crowd barely reached 40,000.

We need a real quarterback and someone who lets him cut loose. And flasks.

Top 10 Attendance Averages @ Ross-Ade Stadium[/B]

Average Year Total Games Coach Record (Previous Year)[/B]

69,892 1981 419,351 6 Jim Young 5-6 (9-3 in 1980)

69,709 1980 418,256 6 Jim Young 9-3 (10-2 in 1979)

68,966 1979 413,794 6 Jim Young 10-2 (9-2-1 in 1978)

66,861 1982 401,166 6 Leon Burtnett 3-8 (5-6 in 1981)

65,358 1983 326,789 5 Leon Burtnett 3-7-1 (3-8 in 1982)

65,319 2000 391,913 6 Joe Tiller 8-4 (7-5 in 1999)

63,549 2004 381,292 6 Joe Tiller 7-5 (9-4 in 2003)

63,424 1999 380,542 6 Joe Tiller 7-5 (9-4 in 1998)

63,400 1985 380,399 6 Leon Burtnett 5-6 (7-5 in 1984)

63,386 1984 380,314 6 Leon Burtnett 7-5 (3-7-1 in 1983)

old guy here, (IU fan),

slightly OT perhaps, but seems like way back when, you guys gave free admission to football games to PU students.

A), is this correct?

B), if so, how long did they have that policy in place, and when did PU discontinue it?

thanks in advance.

Tix weren't "free". Students had an athletic fee in their total fee package. Just didn't have to pony up any money to get the tix so seemed free especially if Mom and Dad or someone else was paying the fee anyway. Around 1989 the fee was removed over some whining by students that were being "forced" to pay a fee that they didn't want/use and paying for tix was instituted. Attendance dropped immediately. If only the same whiny students knew what things they are being forced to pay for in their fees now that they don't "want/use" it would open a few eyes.

Attendance next year will be under 30K average. And if John Schoop is still the OC, I will likely be one of the many that stays home to rake leaves, clean gutters, etc. on Saturdays.

6 games in you will hear crickets in the restrooms after they play I am an American.

ADVERTISEMENT