ADVERTISEMENT

What the heck is the Big Ten thinking with this boondoggle?

Exactly - this is a take over of the NCAA and will be an Independent league - it's about becoming the dominant platforms of college athletics and destroying everyone else. eventually the two leagues will have their own Super Bowl..

They want every marketing and entertainment dollar available.

And Notre Dame's Independence will be the next tree to fall - but then it will be some sort of collusion lawsuit, keeping others out.
I don't think the NCAA was "taken over" as much as them abdicating their responsibilities. If we get to 2 or 4 Power Conferences, the NCAA may become relegated to just running the NCAAT every year. Since they didn't do it very well, there's no reason for them having any enforcement or rule making roles in college football at the highest levels. What they do at the lower levels becomes largely irrelevant.

To avoid any collusion litigation, the Power Conferences can make a couple "at large" spots available in the playoffs. I'd still prefer an 8 team CFP, with 4 Conf Champs* and the 4 highest ranked teams, with no more than two per Conference and one from the G 6/7.

*) Assuming that the Pac 12 teams & Big 12 teams combine in some form to create a 4th Power Conference.

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves. Which teams are added to the B1G & SEC and what happens with the ACC, B 12 & Pac 12? The music is playing, so who will have a chair, when the music stops and more importantly, where?

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
I don't think the NCAA was "taken over" as much as them abdicating their responsibilities. If we get to 2 or 4 Power Conferences, the NCAA may become relegated to just running the NCAAT every year. Since they didn't do it very well, there's no reason for them having any enforcement or rule making roles in college football at the highest levels. What they do at the lower levels becomes largely irrelevant.

To avoid any collusion litigation, the Power Conferences can make a couple "at large" spots available in the playoffs. I'd still prefer an 8 team CFP, with 4 Conf Champs* and the 4 highest ranked teams, with no more than two per Conference and one from the G 6/7.

*) Assuming that the Pac 12 teams & Big 12 teams combine in some form to create a 4th Power Conference.

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves. Which teams are added to the B1G & SEC and what happens with the ACC, B 12 & Pac 12? The music is playing, so who will have a chair, when the music stops and more importantly, where?
No kidding. The BCS board of managers has basically one member from each conference plus ND. Those 3 (ACC, PAC, B12) conferences are a small minority. Even if ND goes against the other 7 the big10 and sec can make it uncomfortable for those 3. If B12 and sec picks apart ACC and PAC and ND joins a conference the acc and pac will need to plead to the G5 who will have zero sympathy.

Report now is 7 teams made the final cut but decision won’t be until after media is negotiated in august. Those teams are
Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford
Notre Dame
Miami, Florida State

the same report indicates there will be at least four more teams. Warren also indicated whoever gets added must be a net increase in value which the four pac teams won’t unless they only get partial share.

i can’t imagine sec allowing us to get Florida state and Miami. I wonder if this is pressure on sec to expand and big ten take the four PAC teams who are named in many reports. Negotiating theough public media.

ADVERTISEMENT