ADVERTISEMENT

What the heck is the Big Ten thinking with this boondoggle?

SLoopBoiler

Senior
Feb 11, 2002
Scrap it and fire them all. This is a ridiculous proposal just further proves how corrupt the NCAA is.

USC and UCLA are terrific institutions and if they were two states away, but where is the self-respect, the respect for collegiality & regional fraternity? Not even mentioning the impact (during ridiculous energy & inflation), and worse the impact on student travel time, and more. There is no reason for any of this.

These Big Ten, SEC, and NCAA employees have lost their way, destroying college sports, its purpose, its humanity, and its humility. They have destroyed the student-athlete objective and the purpose of a college education all for power and money for their own pockets. I also put the blame on the corporate partners & enablers like ABC/Disney/ESPN and many others.

they have become to big to fail, in concert with sports agents, corporate media like Disney/ESPN, to monopolize college sports and should be broken up like Standard Oil.

The same morons run to society with their control of media & social media, using their platforms on ridiculous woke causes and issues, but totally ignore the direct and latent impact on their temporary mercenary employees (players)

if the Purdue president and AD support this, show them the door.

This is a ridiculous proposal just further proves how corrupt the NCAA is.
I think in the conversation of collegiate sports, they are just about done. They may end up holding the reins for DII and III schools, but as a directing body they have been passed over by dollars and events.

Here's a faint hope; with the emphasis of the schools all being in the same academic "league", perhaps they (The BIG) can return it to more of a student-based and focused arena, where grades matter and your main payment is your education. Faint hope and Pollyanna on my part, but time (and viewership) will tell.

It's an arms race, and the B16 just got a few more bullets.

Agree, but bullets for what? What is the end game? How is any of this good for the student-athletes?

Adding Flight time, travel to and from airport, and waiting time this is an 8-9 hour trip for Purdue, and 11+ hours for those in Ney Yor/Maryland.

Think about it,
  • Every weekend, at least two of the 16 teams will be making that trek to LA or from LA
  • Then they will have to play 4pm central games, then either fly late-night, or wait to fly early Sunday.
  • Night games in LA? ain't happening
  • These games turn into 3 day events for the "students", especially UCLA and USC who will have to do this at least 4-5 times per season.
  • Jet lag factor repeatedly - These are hours that college students just can't afford

Sorry, but this is just further greed and sloth by grown-ups taking advantage of them. In the end, it will be the fans who pay in higher ticket prices to fund this, for what?

If you're paying attention, you're witnessing the next battle in the NCAA... will it be an association of student athletes, or an association of athletes looking to "get theirs"?

The B1G is clearly leading the way for the future of college athletics, if that translates to programs who place academics (and research) first and foremost. OTOH, the SEC is positioning themselves as a semi-pro league.

Is the B1G perfect? Oh, hell no. But, I know where I'm going to stand.

If you're paying attention, you're witnessing the next battle in the NCAA... will it be an association of student athletes, or an association of athletes looking to "get theirs"?

The B1G is clearly leading the way for the future of college athletics, if that translates to programs who place academics (and research) first and foremost. OTOH, the SEC is positioning themselves as a semi-pro league.

Tell me how competitive you think we will be then let’s compare notes in ten years.

we will be less competitive in the new conference …

Reactions: SKYDOG
Scrap it and fire them all. This is a ridiculous proposal just further proves how corrupt the NCAA is.

USC and UCLA are terrific institutions and if they were two states away, but where is the self-respect, the respect for collegiality & regional fraternity? Not even mentioning the impact (during ridiculous energy & inflation), and worse the impact on student travel time, and more. There is no reason for any of this.

These Big Ten, SEC, and NCAA employees have lost their way, destroying college sports, its purpose, its humanity, and its humility. They have destroyed the student-athlete objective and the purpose of a college education all for power and money for their own pockets. I also put the blame on the corporate partners & enablers like ABC/Disney/ESPN and many others.

they have become to big to fail, in concert with sports agents, corporate media like Disney/ESPN, to monopolize college sports and should be broken up like Standard Oil.

The same morons run to society with their control of media & social media, using their platforms on ridiculous woke causes and issues, but totally ignore the direct and latent impact on their temporary mercenary employees (players)

I for one am excited for one the B1G and SEC swallow the rest of the best then rebrand as the AFC and NFC conferences of the collegiate NFL.

Reactions: indyogb
How about 4 more schools and make it an even 20. Then split the old Big 10 into one division and the Johnny-come-latelies into the other. Everybody wins.
Many expect this. Not necessarily the split, but the goal of 20. SEC too.

Exactly - this is a take over of the NCAA and will be an Independent league - it's about becoming the dominant platforms of college athletics and destroying everyone else. eventually the two leagues will have their own Super Bowl..

They want every marketing and entertainment dollar available.

And Notre Dame's Independence will be the next tree to fall - but then it will be some sort of collusion lawsuit, keeping others out.

Reactions: Purdue85
Tradition division:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
MSU
Minnesota
Northwestern
OSU
Purdue
Wisconsin

Money grab division:
Colorado
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Nebraska
North Carolina
Penn St
Rutgers
UCLA
USC
Virginia
I haven't even begun to think all this through, but if it breaks this way wouldn't it make much more sense for the "money grab division" to just form their own national super league (probably with Washington and Oregon) and leave the Big 10 behind? It looks like there would probably be enough television markets and built-in rivalries to make such a league viable. And, they wouldn't have to share revenue with an existing conference.

If that happens, the B1G would be back to where it was in 1990--a purely regional Great Lakes conference. I'm sure that would make some of us old timers happy, but the league would be greatly reduced in terms of tv markets.

I haven't even begun to think all this through, but if it breaks this way wouldn't it make much more sense for the "money grab division" to just form their own national super league (probably with Washington and Oregon) and leave the Big 10 behind? It looks like there would probably be enough television markets and built-in rivalries to make such a league viable. And, they wouldn't have to share revenue with an existing conference.

If that happens, the B1G would be back to where it was in 1990--a purely regional Great Lakes conference. I'm sure that would make some of us old timers happy, but the league would be greatly reduced in terms of tv markets.
The big difference is shared revenues. Divisions don't really matter other than scheduling and standings.

Unfortunately I can not support this greed. IF i lose out, so be it. I had my fun with college sports beginning in the mid 70s. Has not been the same (for me) for a better part of a decade. I will watch the destruction from a distance.

Unfortunately I can not support this greed. IF i lose out, so be it. I had my fun with college sports beginning in the mid 70s. Has not been the same (for me) for a better part of a decade. I will watch the destruction from a distance.
I agree that it’s all about greed. The NIL has made it most difficult for me to accept. Now the rivalries are lessened and cut off in some instances. This won’t be good for the student (pro) athletes. The bowl alliances are a thing of the past that I will miss.

Agree, but bullets for what? What is the end game? How is any of this good for the student-athletes?

Adding Flight time, travel to and from airport, and waiting time this is an 8-9 hour trip for Purdue, and 11+ hours for those in Ney Yor/Maryland.

Think about it,
  • Every weekend, at least two of the 16 teams will be making that trek to LA or from LA
  • Then they will have to play 4pm central games, then either fly late-night, or wait to fly early Sunday.
  • These games turn into 3 day events for the "students", especially UCLA and USC who will have to do this at least 4-5 times per season.
  • Jet lag factor repeatedly - These are hours that college students just can't afford

Sorry, but this is just further greed and sloth by grown-ups taking advantage of them. In the end, it will be the fans who pay in higher ticket prices to fund this, for what?

You are right about this- the big losers are the USC/UCLA teams; they will be making that max trip 4 or 5 times a year. But for everyone else, with the number of teams in the league and figuring you are playing everyone home and home, I would bet that no one else would ever be scheduled to play in CA twice in any year.

If they both play 5 home games some year (the max) that is 10 opponents so with 16 teams in any year at least 4 teams will not be making the trip; on average there will be 5 teams a year not playing in CA. Plus I would think it very likely they would be protected rivals and play each other every year so that would actually be one less team from the rest of the league traveling there for an away game. Rounding to the nearest whole number, in 4 years the average football player based outside of CA would probably only be flying there 2 times, or one game at each school. So everyone will roughly be playing one game at each school, hence playing once in the Rose Bowl (which from first hand experience I can tell you is a dump of a stadium but nonetheless "storied"). I don't think the rest of the league will consider it to be an undue burden.

Hey there are some scary kids out on your lawn! Go take care of that.

“We can’t bust heads like we used to—but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don’t go anywhere like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So, I tied an onion to my belt which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel. And in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now, where were we? Oh, yeah! The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.”

one article pointed out the obvious. BIG 10 schools received $30 mil more per team from shared revenue than USC and UCLA were receiving while being a part of the Pac 12. they joined for the money. The supposed loser according to Cowherd is the LA Chargers who will now compete for fans who would rather watch USC verses Mich or OSU on Saturday than the Chargers on Sunday. UW is also very popular out west.

some speculation going around. the BIG 10 will grow to 20 teams, as Duke and north carolina will look to increase their revenue, or oregon and Washington, or possibly Cal and Stanford. and last but not least, Notre dame may want the BIG 10 money rather than their current ACC revenues.

arizona and arizona st would join the big 12. the PAC 14 would dissolve.

additional speculation going around is that the BIG 10 will add schools and expel certain schools that just are no longer profitable to keep in the league. In other words, the bottom feeders like Minn, NW and several other teams will be informed thanks for the memories as more marketable teams are added. this is TOTAL speculation.

one article pointed out the obvious. BIG 10 schools received $30 mil more per team from shared revenue than USC and UCLA were receiving while being a part of the Pac 12. they joined for the money. The supposed loser according to Cowherd is the LA Chargers who will now compete for fans who would rather watch USC verses Mich or OSU on Saturday than the Chargers on Sunday. UW is also very popular out west.

some speculation going around. the BIG 10 will grow to 20 teams, as Duke and north carolina will look to increase their revenue, or oregon and Washington, or possibly Cal and Stanford. and last but not least, Notre dame may want the BIG 10 money rather than their current ACC revenues.

additional speculation going around is that the BIG 10 will add schools and expel certain schools that just are no longer profitable to keep in the league. In other words, the bottom feeders like Minn, NW and several other teams will be informed thanks for the memories as more marketable teams are added. this is TOTAL speculation.
Send NW packing as the conference no longer needs student athletes. They need more money. 💰💰💰💰💰

Supposedly Washington and Oregon have already made inquiries and been politely deferred until ND makes a decision. The BT may stand pat for a year, then they will add UWash and Oregon and maybe 2 of Arixona, Colorado, or Utah to get to 20 if ND drags their feet and before the PAC can recover. All AAU members which is what leaves out AzSt. IF SEC raids ACC for UMiami, FSU and Clemsen as is being speculated to happen soon, we can sweep in and offer 4 of UNC, Duke, UVA, GaTech, and one last offer to ND, with ND being the only non AAU school offered. That gets us to 24 with natural divisions for west, midwest and east teams

Think about it,

No sure I like the direction sports are going but I think the travel argument is funny. Travel times were worse when the B1G was originally formed. Current bus time from Indy to Minny is 13 1/2 hours. What do you thing they were in 1906 using trains and buses that were not comfortable/air conditioned?

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
No sure I like the direction sports are going but I think the travel argument is funny. Travel times were worse when the B1G was originally formed. Current bus time from Indy to Minny is 13 1/2 hours. What do you thing they were in 1906 using trains and buses that were not comfortable/air conditioned?
Get off my laaawwwnnnn!

Tell me how competitive you think we will be then let’s compare notes in ten years.

we will be less competitive in the new conference …
People said the same thing when Penn State and Nebraska were added.

We will be as competitive as our coaches, players and AD is.

Reactions: Purdue85
People said the same thing when Penn State and Nebraska were added.

We will be as competitive as our coaches, players and AD is.
And honestly we barely made it. We were lucky we ended up in the west. If divisions didn’t exist maybe those first two seasons aren’t bowl seasons..

But we will see.. I hope with all the changes we have a chance to get out of some OOC games and soften our schedule up

Oh hell, if some of us old timers had their way we’d still be paying AT&T rent for the rotary phone, have four channels on the TV, our kids would be standing around at noon break in high school looking through Encyclopedia’s for a definition of the “rhythm method” and our wives and daughters would be stuck with jobs teaching or in nursing.

I was opposed to paying the players and then it struck me my grandson was making $20 a hour, four hours a day after high school doing videos for a company designing safety equipment. As a junior to be at Purdue he regularly pockets $500, $1000 doing videos. Now we are paying thousands for club seats and basketball tickets and suites go for $50K or better and yet we expect players to be unable to hold summer jobs (they used to be able to work) , reclassify so they lose their senior year in high school, work 12 months on conditioning and practicing and playing and going to meetings and do it for room, board, tuitions and fees. Oh yes, we would like a 5-6 years commitment, but can ask you to leave after each year. That is bullshit and we all know it. Nothing prevents anybody else attending Purdue from working and using their talents and they sure do not have to help to pay $15M in salaries and bonuses to less than 30 grown men who have far more control over them than their classroom professors.

It is time for a change and the only answer is two conferences, how many is up to the experts. A strong Commissioner with the power to levy fines on coaches and administrators who violate the rules and strict rules on players, compensation, conduct and all aspects of operations and behavior.

Instead of complaining and wailing we should be celebrating. We are alumni and fans of one of 32 schools who are winners of the lottery. The other 33 Power Five ( that’s history) schools are scrambling and hoping they can join our exclusive club. Those outside the Power Five are just pissed. Jeff Brohm and Matt Painter are the other big winners. They are guaranteed the resources to compete at the highest level. Great job Jim Smart! Just think, his dream made us a $100M a year athletic department, but John Purdue got his name on the school forever for less than $1M. Smart University would have been clever!

Last edited:

They are professionals now

Oh hell, if some of us old timers had their way we’d still be paying AT&T rent for the rotary phone, have four channels on the TV, our kids would be standing around at noon break in high school looking through Encyclopedia’s for a definition of the “rhythm method” and our wives and daughters would be stuck with jobs teaching or in nursing.

I was opposed to paying the players and then it struck me my grandson was making $20 a hour, four hours a day after high school doing videos for a company designing safety equipment. As a junior to be at Purdue he regularly pockets $500, $1000 doing videos. Now we are paying thousands for club seats and basketball tickets and suites go for $50K or better and yet we expect players to be unable to hold summer jobs (they used to be able to work) , reclassify so they lose their senior year in high school, work 12 months on conditioning and practicing and playing and going to meetings and do it for room, board, tuitions and fees. Oh yes, we would like a 5-6 years commitment, but can ask you to leave after each year. That is bullshit and we all know it. Nothing prevents anybody else attending Purdue from working and using their talents and they sure do not have to help to pay $15M in salaries and bonuses to less than 30 grown men who have far more control over them than their classroom professors.

It is time for a change and the only answer is two conferences, how many is up to the experts. A strong Commissioner with the power to levy fines on coaches and administrators who violate the rules and strict rules on players, compensation, conduct and all aspects of operations and behavior.

Instead of complaining and wailing we should be celebrating. We are alumni and fans of one of 32 schools who are winners of the lottery. The other 33 Power Five ( that’s history) schools are scrambling and hoping they can join our exclusive club. Those outside the Power Five are just pissed. Jeff Brohm and Matt Painter are the other big winners. They are guaranteed the resources to compete at the highest level. Great job Jim Smart! Just think, his dream made us a $100M a year athletic department, but John Purdue got his name on the school forever for less than $1M. Smart University would have been clever!

We will get cast out eventually if we don't pony up

lots of solid perspective here

New info tonight…

PAC 12 essentially asked Big 12 to combine conferences, B12 elected not to pursue this. If they grow it will be incrementally.

Second big one is Notre Dame is demanding a 4-5x pay increase from ND to stay independent on their network. NBC says they can’t do it with just ND coverage and need a major conference to “shoulder” their games meaning to be before or after. Will need to work through B10 negotiations or more likely will do so with B12. Probably means B12 gets a much smaller cut.

reading the tea leaves, B10 won’t do it as it can undermine their courting of ND and B12 won’t do it because there is no money.

I think at the end of the day this could force NDs hand and push Oregon in as an 18th team.

They're not concerned with self respect. They're concerned with their survival.

USC & UCLA recognized that they were the Top brands in the Pac 12 and their next TV contract negotiation would not net nearly as much money, as they felt they deserved, so they jumped to the B1G, where the money is. OR & UW were ready to jump, as well, but the B1G put them on hold, while they surveyed the landscape.

I hope Warren is smart enough to put a provision in the TV contract, where we can renegotiate the deal, if we add any more teams, since that could happen at any time.

ADVERTISEMENT