ADVERTISEMENT

What Southern cities would you retire to?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
Here is my short list:
Greenville/Greer, SC
Austin, TX
Ashville, NC
Raleigh, NC

Have been to all these areas except Austin, TX. Will be on my list to visit within the 2019 year. Left out Florida as I’ve been there too many times and it is crowded in the Winter season from Jan to April.
Would like to see your list.

Here is my short list:
Greenville/Greer, SC
Austin, TX
Ashville, NC
Raleigh, NC

Have been to all these areas except Austin, TX. Will be on my list to visit within the 2019 year. Left out Florida as I’ve been there too many times and it is crowded in the Winter season from Jan to April.
I'm a never Austin guy. City grew by 400K in a very short time due to all of the computer/tech companies and the infrastructure can't handle the traffic...it's a nightmare. Won't visit there ever again.

Ashville and Austin are both very liberal, but Ashville is beautiful....mountains, temperate climate, great food and arts....a mix of folks from all over.

Raleigh is a great college town/area in the Triangle. Again, lots of food, culture, education, and climate.

I could live in Ashville or Raleigh, but I'd take Savannah over either of those two, along with Charleston or Beaufort S.C. Check out Beaufort and St. Helena Island.

I like the Ocean, but not interested in Hurricanes or Tropical storms and the damage. I too loved Savannah, GA. Might look to stay on the West End of that town to avoid heaviest winds. Will check out Beaufort, SC as well. I’ve seen that pop up on Forbes & Money mags lists. Been to most of the other locations. Will be creating my 5 year plan starting this Christmas. My parents live in Sarasota area. Way too crowded as well the winter times I’ve visited. Thanks for additional insight.

Last edited:
I like the Ocean, but not interested in Hurricanes or Tropical storms and the damage. I too loved Savannah, GA. Might look to stay on the West End of that town to avoid heaviest winds. Will check out Beaufort, SC as well. I’ve seen that pop up on Forbes & Money mags lists. Been to most of the other locations. Will be creating my 5 year plan starting this Christmas. My parents live in Sarasota area. Way too crowded as well the winter times I’ve visited. Thanks for additional insight.
I know you said no to Florida, but you might look at Flagler Beach...last great beach town in the state.

Reactions: SKYDOG
You could head farther down the FL coast from Sarasota/Bradenton to north of Fort Myers - like Punta Gorda. There are some other nice (and pricier) towns south of Fort Myers too (Naples, Marco Island). The beaches on the Gulf side are tremendous. I like the Estero Bay area.

Sarasota is a nice town. Compared to the Atlantic side, the Gulf side is not as crowded. In the winter, I much prefer the weather in FL to that of SC or GA. Then again, I don't typically go to FL in the summer.

Reactions: Scheffler90
You could head farther down the FL coast from Sarasota/Bradenton to north of Fort Myers - like Punta Gorda. There are some other nice (and pricier) towns south of Fort Myers too (Naples, Marco Island). The beaches on the Gulf side are tremendous. I like the Estero Bay area.

Sarasota is a nice town. Compared to the Atlantic side, the Gulf side is not as crowded. In the winter, I much prefer the weather in FL to that of SC or GA. Then again, I don't typically go to FL in the summer.
Too many old folks on the Gulf side. I like the wildness of the Atlantic with the waves, sound, and a bit younger crowd. I do like Punta though.

Too many old folks on the Gulf side. I like the wildness of the Atlantic with the waves, sound, and a bit younger crowd. I do like Punta though.
I have family in the Punta Gorda area. You talked about crowds. That area isn't overly crowded. And it's not the geezer town that some think it is. What I love being around the Estero Bay area is that you're a short distance away from places like Sanibel Island and Captiva. I also really like Lovers Key State Park. Beautiful beaches and a cool nature preserve where you can see dolphins and manatees up close and personal.

The Atlantic side is much more crowded than the Gulf side. The Gulf side is less touristy. Must say, I like visiting places like Boca Raton and Palm Beach/West Palm Beach too.

I have family with property in the North Redington Beach, FL area, so I am partial. I will agree the Gulf side is better for retirement living, and this area is the quiet middle ground between Clearwater and St. Pete's...so close enough for entertainment but far enough to be sleepy.

Outside that I like Hilton Head, Savannah, or San Diego.

I'm a never Austin guy. City grew by 400K in a very short time due to all of the computer/tech companies and the infrastructure can't handle the traffic...it's a nightmare. Won't visit there ever again.

Ashville and Austin are both very liberal, but Ashville is beautiful....mountains, temperate climate, great food and arts....a mix of folks from all over.

Raleigh is a great college town/area in the Triangle. Again, lots of food, culture, education, and climate.

I could live in Ashville or Raleigh, but I'd take Savannah over either of those two, along with Charleston or Beaufort S.C. Check out Beaufort and St. Helena Island.
Western NC is awesome if someone is an outdoors person. Also huge folk art area. Only been to Asheville once. Very beautiful locale.

Housing in Beaufort runs higher than Savannah. Charleston is a nice city too. St Helena Island is nice for the ocean/beach/low country person. Vacationed in the area 2-3 times.

SC and Ga are both tax friendly states. NC not as much. I would move to Asheville or western NC if NC was a little more tax friendly for retirees.

Western NC is awesome if someone is an outdoors person. Also huge folk art area. Only been to Asheville once. Very beautiful locale.

Housing in Beaufort runs higher than Savannah. Charleston is a nice city too. St Helena Island is nice for the ocean/beach/low country person. Vacationed in the area 2-3 times.

SC and Ga are both tax friendly states. NC not as much. I would move to Asheville or western NC if NC was a little more tax friendly for retirees.
Look for the Ashville/Tryon area to get really expensive. International Horse arena with world competition in Tryon now and land is going through the roof. Was down there a couple of months ago and they've now built a new exit for the "Horser's". New motels popping up, and sleepy little towns are waking up to the smell of fresh horse poop....and European/South American money.

Reactions: fayncbolier

Really looking at Condo's in St. Helena south of Beaufort. If you've watched Forrest Gump, you've seen the area as that's where it was filmed. Hunting Island is where the Viet Nam scenes were shot.

Here is my short list:
Greenville/Greer, SC
Austin, TX
Ashville, NC
Raleigh, NC

Nashville.

Really looking at Condo's in St. Helena south of Beaufort. If you've watched Forrest Gump, you've seen the area as that's where it was filmed. Hunting Island is where the Viet Nam scenes were shot.
Been a few movies filmed in Beaufort. The Big Chill is another.

Hunting Island got beat up by Hurricane Michael last yr. Think is was Michael. Maybe two yrs now. Fripp is nice, mostly a vacation island.

I live near Raleigh and find it very livable. Two hours from some decent beaches, about three hours from the mountains. Good real estate prices. Between Raleigh and Durham, we get any kind of entertainment (live music, shows) you want. Good food scene, too.

True on Sarasota, SD. Great town.

I'm partial to Savannah. Great architecture and those block parks every other street (Bull St) are awesome.

Buford, SC is great, especially for a film buff like me. The Big Chill house is impressive. The gnats are out of control though. I feel for all Marines who do basic at Parris Island thats right there...hard training conditions.

Marco Island has a quaint feel to it. Like the beaches.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
True on Sarasota, SD. Great town.

I'm partial to Savannah. Great architecture and those block parks every other street (Bull St) are awesome.

Buford, SC is great, especially for a film buff like me. The Big Chill house is impressive. The gnats are out of control though. I feel for all Marines who do basic at Parris Island thats right there...hard training conditions.

Marco Island has a quaint feel to it. Like the beaches.
You do know Savannah and the parks were laid out so the rich and poor would mingle and spend time together. Pretty cool that on a hot day, you can walk a block and have shade. I'd take Savannah over Charleston but Charleston is a great city.

ADVERTISEMENT