ADVERTISEMENT

What is your fan breaking point?

When do you stop watching College football?

• Never. I'll always watch.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • When I no longer know the players due to annual turnover.

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • When I can no longer distinguish the college game from the Pros.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • When the players call a nationwide strike.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • When the government steps in to regulate everything so that everybody (all sports) is getting paid

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (list)

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
Fair question, I am about there. We are fortunate recently to hire a good coach who is a decent man, and recruit some student-athletes of tremendous character like Mr Bell, Mr Rondale Moore, Mr Karlaftis and many more.

But globally, this shit is out of control. the NLI, transfer portal, the BCS, ticket prices, coaching salaries, facilities, or the pre-pandemic shoe scandal with Nike and Addidas that has gone nowhere and disappeared? So, you want me to pay the student loan debt of others for this shit, and schools that pay political actors hundreds of thousands for a graduation speech?

Then locally the new Big Ten Commissioner using member school resources & mailing lists for his personal get out the vote campaign for the 2020 elections, etc.

The NCAA, the schools, the administrators have lost their way, and it's the fans who are stuck in the middle eating the shit. ESPN is the Trojan Horse that has harmed amateur athletics, no different than NBC & the NBA did to the Olympic Games. The NCAA should be abandoned and redone.

It is a professional league now, why are public schools even subsidizing this anymore? Just rent out the stadium and be done with it. I would have zero heartburn if Purdue went the University of Chicago way and focused solely on academics and job training. Down the road, the whole NIL along with forced Title IX "equity" spend for women's sports is going to decimate Olympic programs, men's and women's.

It is no longer about student-athletes, with athletics being a component of the character building. never was since the 1960's- they have no problem adding games, playoffs, etc. with zero consideration for the students.

Guaranteed, with the NIL and transfer portal, you will see a huge drop-off in graduation rates, and an even more precipitous drop for AA men's football graduation rates, because "people want to get paid". You have kids in BB and football who get paid millions and are broke in a few years because they necessary lack education and financial skills in a slimy business.

Fair question, I am about there. We are fortunate recently to hire a good coach who is a decent man, and recruit some student-athletes of tremendous character like Mr Bell, Mr Rondale Moore, Mr Karlaftis and many more.

But globally, this shit is out of control. the NLI, transfer portal, the BCS, ticket prices, coaching salaries, facilities, or the pre-pandemic shoe scandal with Nike and Addidas that has gone nowhere and disappeared? So, you want me to pay the student loan debt of others for this shit, and schools that pay political actors hundreds of thousands for a graduation speech?

Then locally the new Big Ten Commissioner using member school resources & mailing lists for his personal get out the vote campaign for the 2020 elections, etc.

The NCAA, the schools, the administrators have lost their way, and it's the fans who are stuck in the middle eating the shit. ESPN is the Trojan Horse that has harmed amateur athletics, no different than NBC & the NBA did to the Olympic Games. The NCAA should be abandoned and redone.

It is a professional league now, why are public schools even subsidizing this anymore? Just rent out the stadium and be done with it. I would have zero heartburn if Purdue went the University of Chicago way and focused solely on academics and job training. Down the road, the whole NIL along with forced Title IX "equity" spend for women's sports is going to decimate Olympic programs, men's and women's.

It is no longer about student-athletes, with athletics being a component of the character building. never was since the 1960's- they have no problem adding games, playoffs, etc. with zero consideration for the students.

Guaranteed, with the NIL and transfer portal, you will see a huge drop-off in graduation rates, and an even more precipitous drop for AA men's football graduation rates, because "people want to get paid". You have kids in BB and football who get paid millions and are broke in a few years because they necessary lack education and financial skills in a slimy business.
As a public school at least Purdue University is not subsiding the athletic program. Nor is the state or the students.

Transfer Portal and NIL has created a monster that will have many universities (ours included) rethinking their strategies moving forward. If you're that great of an athlete, go pro or "semi-pro" as $EC schools and some ACC with John Ruiz who'll throw money at you and kiss your behind to come play for them. Buy your trophy and be proud John. I hope it backfires in some form or fashion and is spectacular for all to see.

He’s mailing stuff out for one of the parties using the list?

As a public school at least Purdue University is not subsiding the athletic program. Nor is the state or the students.
Semantics and fungibility - the land, capital for the original stadium, etc. is Purdue university and state.

The donations go to JPC and Purdue Foundation, but are in competition with other university donations.
I think Purdue hates the applicant families that show up with money to JPC vs school.

Just talked to an individual who knows one of the coaches (non-football/basketball). The top player told the coach if they didn't get an NIL for next year, they were gone. I get it, you're an idiot if you don't ask, but it also takes the degree/University and throws it in the mud.

He’s mailing stuff out for one of the parties using the list?

Yes he did.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, a state, county, and city controlled by DEM's was the catalyst and cause of the George Floyd situation, but that clown as Big Ten Commissioner behind closed doors was claiming it's a Republican voting issue. Voting drives, like Rock the Vote, are always racially, economically, and geographically targeted to one party.

I am told he strong-armed universities for access to contact data from various athletic and university databases. Because of potential shaming, some acquiesced.

Voted other.
I’ll continue to go to football for the social events and I enjoy watching the game regardless of who is playing but especially the old gold and black. Basketball would be a heartbreaker but if Mackey Arena lost it’s teeth and became just another quiet half empty gym I would be devastated. Luckily I think Purdue has plenty of resources and donors for basketball to stay very relevant and potentially more so in this new world. Football is at risk but if we’re honest it always has been anyway

Reactions: SLoopBoiler
I'm not a hardcore fan, so I watch occasionally anyway. If NIL or other monetary factors lead to a decline in Purdue's performance, I'll tune out.

Life's too short not to do things like coach soccer or hang out at a beach with your wife and 9-year old.

I'm not a hardcore fan, so I watch occasionally anyway. If NIL or other monetary factors lead to a decline in Purdue's performance, I'll tune out.

Life's too short not to do things like coach soccer or hang out at a beach with your wife and 9-year old.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Twenty years ago, I was a hard core fan who watched every minute of every game. But now I spend time on a lot of other things.

To be completely honest, the two things that have probably most tempered my fandom don't have anything to do with recruiting, the transfer portal, or NIL. They are: 1) DVR. Mine now automatically records all Purdue games, so I don't feel compelled to watch them all in real time. 2) Games have become sooooooo long. Some of that has to do with the clock stopping a lot more because of passing plays. Some of it has to do with officiating/replays.

Semantics and fungibility - the land, capital for the original stadium, etc. is Purdue university and state.

The donations go to JPC and Purdue Foundation, but are in competition with other university donations.
I think Purdue hates the applicant families that show up with money to JPC vs school.
In reality it's not either or for athletics or academics. I, like many Alums donate to both JPC and academic schools.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I find it harder and harder to follow any team that undergoes a major facelift of personnel, be it college or pro's basketball, football or baseball.. Once I do not recognize the majority of the players I watch less and less! Purdue BB and FB have recently been rather stable so I watch all I can!

it's odd that most of you say if the product isn't good, you'll tune out. that doesn't sound like a real fan. when the NFL had replacement players, packers fans still filled the stadium. When it was raining and freezing, packer fans still filled up the stadium. When the packers were a horrible team, packers fans sill filled up the stadium. if only for the beer.. nobody remembers the actual game.

so if purdue becomes bad ? you'll stop being a fan?

as you get older, being a fan is no longer a priority. you tend to move. You work wit h people from other locations and schools. you have kids. you go on vacations. you coach soccer. You watch your child at track meets. i haven't lived in Indiana since the day i graduated. I'm still a fan, but I'm not going to the games, and my TV station doesn't carry the games. They prefer to carry Alabama and georgia games. and when you get my age, you start losing interest in watching national championship games and Super bowls and final 4s.

it's not about the NIL or how good or bad the team is. it's not about the beer or getting drunk. As you age, other things take priority like taking your meds and getting enough sleep. I still root for purdue, but as a watch them on TV, i usually fall asleep. if something big happens, there will be a replay.

As this appears to be heading out of control, I’ll likely turn my attention to my alma mater’s athletics more than I currently do, a D3 school.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
it's odd that most of you say if the product isn't good, you'll tune out. that doesn't sound like a real fan. when the NFL had replacement players, packers fans still filled the stadium. When it was raining and freezing, packer fans still filled up the stadium. When the packers were a horrible team, packers fans sill filled up the stadium. if only for the beer.. nobody remembers the actual game.

as you get older, being a fan is no longer a priority. you tend to move. You work wit h people from other locations and schools. you have kids. you go on vacations. you coach soccer. You watch your child at track meets. i haven't lived in Indiana since the day i graduated. I'm still a fan, but I'm not going to the games, and my TV station doesn't carry the games. They prefer to carry Alabama and georgia games. and when you get my age, you start losing interest in watching national championship games and Super bowls and final 4s.

it's not about the NIL or how good or bad the team is. it's not about the beer or getting drunk. As you age, other things take priority like taking your meds and getting enough sleep. I still root for purdue, but as a watch them on TV, i usually fall asleep. if something big happens, there will be a replay.
I can handle losing. I was here during the Hazell years and hardly missed a game. Bad hires happen. Administrations change. Priorities shift. But if the overall landscape shifts to the point where the playing field is so tilted that schools like Purdue cannot compete even within their own conference, then what is the point. Nobody roots for the Washington Generals. Your references to the NFL do not apply because the NFL has built-in systems to ensure teams have the ability to compete. The draft, salary caps, revenue sharing, etc. Teams get down but don't stay down for long. There is always hope on the horizon. Or the owner pulls up stakes and moves to a new city.

I don't think that people are saying that they won't be fans, but just not as involved. I watched every minute of games during the Hazell years. That is not bragging. You know how hard that was. Most teams were playing their 2 and 3 teams against by the middle of the second half of those games, and we still could not compete. You may not win every game when you root for a team, but you have to have some sort of competitiveness in a game to still want to watch it.

Packers are an exception. I would say the biggest exception in professional sports were the Chicago Cubs for years upon years. They were the "lovable losers" and Wrigley was packed. However, it wasn't because they expected the Cubs to win. It was the game atmosphere, which did include the beer. I am not a baseball fan anymore, but I can bet you that Cincinnati Reds fans won't be packing that stadium or being very involved with that team this year, because they are absolutely horrible from what I have read (have not seen a single game). Doesn't mean they that are not Reds fans, but who wants to see a team that might be lucky to win 60 games, and have over a 100 losses. That is not entertainment, except for the other team.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I don't think that people are saying that they won't be fans, but just not as involved. I watched every minute of games during the Hazell years. That is not bragging. You know how hard that was. Most teams were playing their 2 and 3 teams against by the middle of the second half of those games, and we still could not compete. You may not win every game when you root for a team, but you have to have some sort of competitiveness in a game to still want to watch it.

Packers are an exception. I would say the biggest exception in professional sports were the Chicago Cubs for years upon years. They were the "lovable losers" and Wrigley was packed. However, it wasn't because they expected the Cubs to win. It was the game atmosphere, which did include the beer. I am not a baseball fan anymore, but I can bet you that Cincinnati Reds fans won't be packing that stadium or being very involved with that team this year, because they are absolutely horrible from what I have read (have not seen a single game). Doesn't mean they that are not Reds fans, but who wants to see a team that might be lucky to win 60 games, and have over a 100 losses. That is not entertainment, except for the other team.
Might I add who wants to pay for high priced tickets, parking fees and concession stand items when the team is rebuilding or putting a non-competitive product on the field!

ADVERTISEMENT