ADVERTISEMENT

What is the value of college football fundamentally

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
Where does it come from?

to me, it’s a passionate base of fans that went to those schools. It’s a higher socio economic group and individually its more likely to be passionate about their team (and have the money to spend) than the average pro fan.

that’s what these networks are paying big money for whether they realize it or not.

I went to Purdue, but I’ll watch Iowa and Michigan all day. And the commercials in between the plays. Why? Because big ten football brings me back to brees to morales, woodyard picking up the blocked field goal while I jumped up and down in my buddy’s apartment, brees beating K state. I feel invested in that.

that’s the golden goose I don’t think they realize they are killing for short term gain IF this goes the way I think it’s gonna go.

the big ten audience, like many across the country, definitely has some people rooting for the supremacy of Ohio state, penn state and Michigan.. I.e. grads of that school and sub alum of that school. The miscalculation here is that if 9 of the other 11 schools become largely irrelevant.. those fans will suddenly become regional Ohio state fans.

Wisconsin fans I see constantly barely care once they realize Wisconsin isn’t going to the national championship in football. They aren’t going to go “oh, Wisconsin is irrelevant now? Let me be a good Midwest football fan and transfer my fandom over to Ohio state.” Neither will fans of Iowa or Purdue or northwestern.

My prediction, if this goes the way I think it is going, is that it will be like putting a Walmart in a small town.. once the Walmart closes down that quaint small town drag, the town goes to crap. We are that family owner hardware store in that drag by the way.

there will be a huge surge in interest and money. Then, once we get five years from now and it’s 24 schools and everyone else, espn will be on air lamenting the decreased viewership.

unless people really think that the entire state of Illinois AND Indiana will all fall in line behind ND and Illinois football with the same passion and dollars spent as their current schools

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis H.
Where does it come from?

to me, it’s a passionate base of fans that went to those schools. It’s a higher socio economic group and individually its more likely to be passionate about their team (and have the money to spend) than the average pro fan.

that’s what these networks are paying big money for whether they realize it or not.

I went to Purdue, but I’ll watch Iowa and Michigan all day. And the commercials in between the plays. Why? Because big ten football brings me back to brees to morales, woodyard picking up the blocked field goal while I jumped up and down in my buddy’s apartment, brees beating K state. I feel invested in that.

that’s the golden goose I don’t think they realize they are killing for short term gain IF this goes the way I think it’s gonna go.

the big ten audience, like many across the country, definitely has some people rooting for the supremacy of Ohio state, penn state and Michigan.. I.e. grads of that school and sub alum of that school. The miscalculation here is that if 9 of the other 11 schools become largely irrelevant.. those fans will suddenly become regional Ohio state fans.

Wisconsin fans I see constantly barely care once they realize Wisconsin isn’t going to the national championship in football. They aren’t going to go “oh, Wisconsin is irrelevant now? Let me be a good Midwest football fan and transfer my fandom over to Ohio state. Ditto Iowa.

My prediction, if this goes the way I think it is going, is that it will be like putting a Walmart in a small town.. once the Walmart closes down that quaint small town drag, the town goes to crap. We are that hardware store in that drag by the way.

there will be a huge surge in interest and money. Then, once we get five years from now and it’s 24 schools and everyone else, espn will be on air lamenting the decreased viewership.

unless people really think that the entire state of Illinois AND Indiana will all fall in line behind ND and Illinois football with the same pssion and dollars spent as their current schools
Agree 100%. TV ratings will start to go down in 2-3 years, max.

Where does it come from?

Wisconsin fans I see constantly barely care once they realize Wisconsin isn’t going to the national championship in football. They aren’t going to go “oh, Wisconsin is irrelevant now? Let me be a good Midwest football fan and transfer my fandom over to Ohio state. Ditto Iowa.

My prediction, if this goes the way I think it is going, is that it will be like putting a Walmart in a small town.. once the Walmart closes down that quaint small town drag, the town goes to crap. We are that hardware store in that drag by the way.

unless people really think that the entire state of Illinois AND Indiana will all fall in line behind ND and Illinois football with the same pssion and dollars spent as their current schools

I am predicting the demise of cfb because of declining participation rates that are already evident in high school football, as parents increasingly keep their kids out of the sport for obvious reasons.

I am predicting the demise of cfb because of declining participation rates that are already evident in high school football, as parents increasingly keep their kids out of the sport for obvious reasons.
Yeah, when Drew says he's not sure he wants his boys plying FB....you know the tide has turned.

Reactions: Riveting-
People have predicted the demise of college sports due to corruption for decades.
I'm not pointing the finger at corruption, I see it as who can afford to/will pay and who can't/won't. We are by no means a poor University or fan base, but we have a LOT of graduates that are completely disinterested in the athletic side of the house. I've met more than one extension campus grad whose primary interest was the "Purdue" on their diploma, not their sweatshirt. I won't even go into the fact that we probably have one of the largest overseas group of graduates that most likely has ZERO interest in advancing the athletic side of the house. It's our own fan base, while excited about bowl games and Big Dance appearances, that isn't going to shell out additional cash to keep or attract talent past a certain point. I would say that's true for 90-95% of D1 schools.

Where does it come from?

I am afraid you are correct.

I'm not pointing the finger at corruption, I see it as who can afford to/will pay and who can't/won't. We are by no means a poor University or fan base, but we have a LOT of graduates that are completely disinterested in the athletic side of the house. I've met more than one extension campus grad whose primary interest was the "Purdue" on their diploma, not their sweatshirt. I won't even go into the fact that we probably have one of the largest overseas group of graduates that most likely has ZERO interest in advancing the athletic side of the house. It's our own fan base, while excited about bowl games and Big Dance appearances, that isn't going to shell out additional cash to keep or attract talent past a certain point. I would say that's true for 90-95% of D1 schools.
Perhaps you’re correct, but I think there are still many, many grads and friends who will spend in support of the school, in spite of the issues you cite. Pride in one’s school remains a big deal for quite a few people, and that pride tends to reside in common experiences like sports programs. Not saying there aren’t challenges, but college sports, particularly football and basketball, still resonate with a good number of people.

Reactions: bonefish1
EXACTLY !!!!

ADVERTISEMENT