ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to ESPN ???

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
I know it's been kind of a slow couple of weeks, So I thought you guys might want to "CHEW" on this.

I used to listen to ESPN to get scores and updates and fantasy baseball stats and stuff. But.... they've changed.

on today's Golic and Wingo radio show which is supposed to be their best rated show, the majority of their time and hot topic was: is a hot dog a sandwich? one of the conclusions was if the bun breaks in two, then it's a sandwich, but if it doesn't break, it's not.. they even had some national food guy provide commentary about how if you slice your wiener and place it between two sliced pieces of bread , it would be considered a sandwich. but using a hot dog bun, it's not.

last week, I got involved in a heated discussion on facebook about whether you place ketchup or mustard on your hot dog.

so I thought since it's been really slow here lately, and I know how much people here like to argue and over analyze, I'd pose the question.....

is a hot dog a sandwich? or not?

if you like, I could share this question with the basketball people who always love to analyze everything and they do have Nathan's "choice beef " over there.

and yes, I realize, we're not talking about brats. that's a question for a different day.

and yes, ESPN spent over 2 hours today discussing this vitally "HOT" topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Mike and Mike rarely talked about sports toward the end it seemed.

Can’t even listen to Wingo and Mike. They’ll have a big time sports name on, and talk about anything but the sport they play. It frustrating

Mike and Mike rarely talked about sports toward the end it seemed.

Can’t even listen to Wingo and Mike. They’ll have a big time sports name on, and talk about anything but the sport they play. It frustrating

that is it exactly. or they bring in a basketball player to talk about golf. they've taken the sports out of sports radio and replaced it with the "VIEW"

Reactions: ChuckJr
In the last 5 years or so, maybe more like 10, all of sports talk has become about making the hottest possible take. It’s a bunch of unlikeable raving lunatics (Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless for example) yelling at each for hours on end.

Lebatard and Stu Gotz have an awesome show that weaves sports, comedy, social issues, and the like rather well....and they are really well liked. It appears ESPN is trying that for the Golic and Wingo show....and they don’t have the personalities for it. For what it is worth, the SVP and Rusillo show was the best thing ESPN put on before SVP got his late night show.

Lebatard and Stu Gotz have an awesome show that weaves sports, comedy, social issues, and the like rather well....and they are really well liked. It appears ESPN is trying that for the Golic and Wingo show....and they don’t have the personalities for it. For what it is worth, the SVP and Rusillo show was the best thing ESPN put on before SVP got his late night show.
Spain and Fitz are pretty good at maintaining sports only talk in the evenings. Listen to them frequently

Reactions: Mobes

I think you must hear something I don't. To me, most of ESPN's national shows, particularly Lebatard, are unlistenable. The more local/regionally-based shows from the larger cities (Indy, Chicago) are still OK.

Another frustration for me is that for every 5 minutes or so of actual radio, you get 3-4 minutes of commercials, most of which are advertising other ESPN radio shows/hosts. I'm clearly not an expert, but I don't know how most of ESPN's radio programming is still on the air; how in the heck to they make any money?

Reactions: ChuckJr
I think that would be considered a trip to a psychiatrist.
somebody call ?

c901ee99cf9d756ac2568e6bb5741cadcd771426.jpeg

I think you must hear something I don't. To me, most of ESPN's national shows, particularly Lebatard, are unlistenable. The more local/regionally-based shows from the larger cities (Indy, Chicago) are still OK.

Another frustration for me is that for every 5 minutes or so of actual radio, you get 3-4 minutes of commercials, most of which are advertising other ESPN radio shows/hosts. I'm clearly not an expert, but I don't know how most of ESPN's radio programming is still on the air; how in the heck to they make any money?
Ehh, I just happen to like the show for the entertainment value. I listen to Bob and Tom for the same reason. They read news and sports stories...doesn’t mean I value their report on them. Just find them entertaining.

If I wanted to get real news, I’d go to the website or check out a number of other sources (AP for example).

Reactions: IronChefBBQ
Ehh, I just happen to like the show for the entertainment value. I listen to Bob and Tom for the same reason. They read news and sports stories...doesn’t mean I value their report on them. Just find them entertaining.

If I wanted to get real news, I’d go to the website or check out a number of other sources (AP for example).

ESPN has been too East Coast for me since they spent a whole morning "discussing" whether Jeter cheated when he (maybe) got hit by a pitch, maybe didn't, but took his base anyway. Mercy, does this tarnish his image??? How would this compare to our reaction if A-Rod actually tried this "stunt"? Real edge-of-our-seat stuff...every subsequent guest had to be grilled on this "vital" topic.

To your other point, Woleg, no to a HD being a sandwich, yes to ketchup AND/OR mustard, but then I'm just a hick.

It's the dead of summer. There is not much to talk about unless you want to continue the jordan vs LeBron debate.

Also, check out "out kick the coverage." Clay travis does a good job of finding interesting things to talk about.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

Love Lebatard! Every time I listen to him and Stu Gotz, I find myself giggling like a little schoolgirl.
But Golic is an idiot, not to mention a Notre Dame homer. And having his son on the show loses him any credibility he had. Wingo seems like a good guy. But the personality isn't there.

ESPN has changed their format to politics and now gives MSNBC a run for the most idiots under one brand (with MSNBC edging out ESPN for now).

Fear not, other brands will figure out that we just want sports and don't care about your opinions on anything BUT sports.

ESPN has been going downhill for a while in my eyes. Used to fall asleep and wake up to it everyday. When they let all those people go a year ago or w/e, they kept people that have no business being on there (His & Hers with Jamele Hill/M. Smith). Also, with the emergence of sites like Barstool and others, I feel like ESPN has even tried to replicate their way of presenting information, which isn't their lane.

ESPN has been going downhill for a while in my eyes. Used to fall asleep and wake up to it everyday. When they let all those people go a year ago or w/e, they kept people that have no business being on there (His & Hers with Jamele Hill/M. Smith). Also, with the emergence of sites like Barstool and others, I feel like ESPN has even tried to replicate their way of presenting information, which isn't their lane.

Said it before, I'll say it again. ESPN has become too political.

I don't care about your social justice ideals.

Let's talk sports.

When you don't want to do that, you open the door for other sports-related avenues.

And, I'll go there.

good bye, ESPN...

I know it's been kind of a slow couple of weeks, So I thought you guys might want to "CHEW" on this.

I used to listen to ESPN to get scores and updates and fantasy baseball stats and stuff. But.... they've changed.

on today's Golic and Wingo radio show which is supposed to be their best rated show, the majority of their time and hot topic was: is a hot dog a sandwich? one of the conclusions was if the bun breaks in two, then it's a sandwich, but if it doesn't break, it's not.. they even had some national food guy provide commentary about how if you slice your wiener and place it between two sliced pieces of bread , it would be considered a sandwich. but using a hot dog bun, it's not.

last week, I got involved in a heated discussion on facebook about whether you place ketchup or mustard on your hot dog.

so I thought since it's been really slow here lately, and I know how much people here like to argue and over analyze, I'd pose the question.....

is a hot dog a sandwich? or not?

if you like, I could share this question with the basketball people who always love to analyze everything and they do have Nathan's "choice beef " over there.

and yes, I realize, we're not talking about brats. that's a question for a different day.

and yes, ESPN spent over 2 hours today discussing this vitally "HOT" topic.

ESPN has been garbage for 10 years. The network is tanking and I think it’s hilarious.

Reactions: Cleanface
A sandwich is only a sandwitch if it is between 2 pieces of sliced bread! So no a hotdog is not a sandwich. Prefer mustard but will sometimes put ketchup on too. Really just depends on the other condiments you use.

Fear not, other brands will figure out that we just want sports and don't care about your opinions on anything BUT sports.

when fox sports 1 began, i was eager to see their nightly highlight show. it was terrible, even worse than what sportscenter became

Disney isn't hurting, I will agree with that. But ESPN, I Disagree and the have been multiple layoffs to prove it.

Agree that ESPN is hurting mainly because they have massively over reached their ability...especially with the growth of online social media. But I doubt Disney let’s them sink...Disney has too much stake in their success. The layoffs come as a result of over spending and allocating resources horribly.

This whole thing started with their involvement in morning news shows called ‘Cold Pizza’. It was good until it became too mainstream instead of sticking with sports.

Reactions: TheGunner
Too many hens cacklin behind the mic. Stringing together a bunch of cliches and calling themselves sportscasters.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I also used to also like Sporting News and Baseball Weekly until they decided to make them about life stories rather than boxscores and sports.

Reactions: TheGunner
The Dan Patrick Show is really the only national show that I think is still worth anything. A little of the local Indy guys goes a long way. I do like Lance McAllister on 700 WLW but it is very Cincinnati-centric so maybe not as interesting to non-Cinci residents.

I just cannot enjoy Lebatard. His "humor" doesn't work for me.

Does Jim Rome still have a show anywhere? He kind of bounced back and forth between networks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT