ADVERTISEMENT

What’s legal and what is tampering?

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Just curious, sorry if this was posted elsewhere.

Given the timing it seems very unlikely that Nojel entered the portal without already knowing where he was going.

Obviously if UM had reached out to him before he entered the portal that’s tampering. Are they allowed to respond or interact if Nojel or his people reach out prior to entering the portal? I.e. Someone from Nojel’s camp calls Juwann or staff and says ‘NE is seriously considering transferring, do you have a scholarship for him?’

Is UM allowed to respond?

Given the timing it seems very unlikely that Nojel entered the portal without already knowing where he was going.

Obviously if UM had reached out to him before he entered the portal that’s tampering. Are they allowed to respond or interact if Nojel or his people reach out prior to entering the portal? I.e. Someone from Nojel’s camp calls Juwann or staff and says ‘NE is seriously considering transferring, do you have a scholarship for him?’

Juwan’s from Chicago. Nojel’s from Evanston...I’m sure they know a lot of the same people.

I believe as long as there is no contact between the coach and Nojel or his immediate family, it's technically legal. Often former coaches (AAU or High School) act as the middle man in these situations.

The real question is does the NCAA even investigate this stuff?

Maybe if a complaint is filed, somehow?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Phillip_Fulmer.jpg

I would wager communication was done through back channels & intermediaries; and thus, not against NCAA rules.

However, it's also possible Juwan just hasn't had time to learn the recruiting rulebook yet. After all, a little over 5 months after being hired, he mentioned unsigned recruits by name in a press conference (a rule EVERYBODY knows), and this was his reaction when told he couldn't do that (quote from mlive article):

"Oh, shucks," Howard said, a stunned look on his face. "That's one of the NCAA rules I have to really get to understand. I'm learning throughout this process. That's a part of the college coaching that's different from the NBA coaching. But no excuses. I will learn these rules."

Reactions: indyogb
I heard he’s got size, length, strength, athleticism and lateral quickness.

He's definitely got world class athletic ability. Plus, he's pretty big. His skill set is kind of lacking (specifically, his jump shot), but sometimes that can be developed. He reminds me of the type of guys Auburn, Alabama, and LSU get - "raw athletes". I wish him the best. I hope he drops 30 a game for Michigan while they cruise to an 0-30 record. :D

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT