ADVERTISEMENT

We're 2 plays from 2-0, but Missouri loves company

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
Can’t believe how many babbling Boilermakers are suffering amnesia about where we were just a couple years ago. The sky must’ve fallen on their heads.

Embarrassed by the losses? Yeah, a little, but it’s a far cry from the blowouts and bashings we endured weekly under the previous staff. And it’s not half as bad as the way basketball has been ending every year in the NCAA.

Change the schedule? Yeah, we miss having those old perennial pushovers like Notre Dame. Besides, IU has already booked up all the Pop Warner teams.

Discipline? Yeah, it could be a little better, but our kids are hardly putting on the clown shows we see every-other play on Sundays. And I’ve never seen a Slip-and-Slide draw the law, butt we got flagged. Once in a while, you just get screwed.

The honeymoon is over? Well, welcome to marriage.

Brohm’s program has proven and still is entertaining, with loads of good players and more on the way. This year, we lost some quality players, but we’re still just two plays from being unbeaten, so get a hold of yourselves, take the bags off your heads, show up and blow some steam on Saturday. Send the zebras back to the St. Louie Zoo.

I think this week’s game will really reflect the character of the team and the quality of the staff...for better or for worse. I’m hopeful we see a huge turnaround.

Can’t wait to get back to WL. I think it’s been 12 years since I’ve been on campus.

Can’t believe how many babbling Boilermakers are suffering amnesia about where we were just a couple years ago. The sky must’ve fallen on their heads.

Embarrassed by the losses? Yeah, a little, but it’s a far cry from the blowouts and bashings we endured weekly under the previous staff. And it’s not half as bad as the way basketball has been ending every year in the NCAA.

Change the schedule? Yeah, we miss having those old perennial pushovers like Notre Dame. Besides, IU has already booked up all the Pop Warner teams.

Discipline? Yeah, it could be a little better, but our kids are hardly putting on the clown shows we see every-other play on Sundays. And I’ve never seen a Slip-and-Slide draw the law, butt we got flagged. Once in a while, you just get screwed.

The honeymoon is over? Well, welcome to marriage.

Brohm’s program has proven and still is entertaining, with loads of good players and more on the way. This year, we lost some quality players, but we’re still just two plays from being unbeaten, so get a hold of yourselves, take the bags off your heads, show up and blow some steam on Saturday. Send the zebras back to the St. Louie Zoo.
There it is!

Btw- Doesn’t the honeymoon end regardless?

Don't forget that most pundits in the know and who were rational said that there may in fact be improvement within the program but the record may not reflect it. Again, if Purdue plays to the median it is expected they are 2-0. Purdue put the ball on the ground 5 times and lost 2 fumbles. That alone is 14 points. Adding in absolute mind boggling bad CB play on the first long TD...that is 21 points. Add 14 points to Purdue's 19 and take away 7 from EMU's 20....33-13...is anyone complaining if that's the fact?

Purdue could lose this weekend and it still isn't going to change my personal outlook...especially if they lose in similar fashion because that's likely the type of team this will be this year. Don't forget that MSU had an absolutely abysmal 3-9 year a few years ago....sometimes a record takes a step back to create the foundation needed to move forward.

Don't forget that most pundits in the know and who were rational said that there may in fact be improvement within the program but the record may not reflect it. Again, if Purdue plays to the median it is expected they are 2-0. Purdue put the ball on the ground 5 times and lost 2 fumbles. That alone is 14 points. Adding in absolute mind boggling bad CB play on the first long TD...that is 21 points. Add 14 points to Purdue's 19 and take away 7 from EMU's 20....33-13...is anyone complaining if that's the fact?

Purdue could lose this weekend and it still isn't going to change my personal outlook...especially if they lose in similar fashion because that's likely the type of team this will be this year. Don't forget that MSU had an absolutely abysmal 3-9 year a few years ago....sometimes a record takes a step back to create the foundation needed to move forward.

I'm sure this will get buried beneath a lot of irrational, fearful babble, but this is such a level-headed take and I agree wholeheartedly.

I think it's pretty simple - we lost some good players off of last year's team. On paper, we really shouldn't be better than we were last year - no matter the schedule.

Purdue's biggest problem with recruiting the last 10 years was depth. We had decent players starting - but there was no one backing them up. Obviously in football, you can't play people every single play for an entire game and not see a decline (particularly on say, a defensive line). Not to mention accounting for injuries. There's a reason our teams often faded down the stretch.

The thing I like about recruiting right now is we are building depth. We may not have high level talent spread around the team just yet, but depth is half the solution.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog

Great post. Don’t forget Sparks and if his foot was 2 inches in the end zone versus on the line, there’s 4 (? I think we kicked a FG next play) more points.

And it’s not half as bad as the way basketball has been ending every year in the NCAA..
Your post was good save this part because the basketball team has ended the season as one of the top programs in the country.

We should be so lucky with the football program and Brohm will get us there.

Your post was good save this part because the basketball team has ended the season as one of the top programs in the country.

We should be so lucky with the football program and Brohm will get us there.

True, basketball often ends regular seasons in the national rankings, but the nation’s ultimate standard, the NCAA Tournament, has been a whole different world. The last-minute meltdowns against Cincinnati and [cough, cough] Little Rock. The blowouts by Kansas and Texas Tech. Those early exits were each far more embarrassing than anything football has done [… except maybe the four straight losses to Division I’s all-time losers].

Yet, in the GBI forums, basketball keeps getting a pass for its perennial pratfalls while football catches all the grief, even though it needs five times the athletes and five times the work just to compete.

Those early exits were each far more embarrassing than anything football has done
WTF? Losing without your center in the sweet 16 is more embarrassing than our football team? Getting to the national tourney is more embarrassing than giving up 48 points to OSU in the first quarter?

Our football team was a non-competitive unit until last year where they barely finished over .500. They're a work in progress and it will take a few top 50 classes to turn it around. Let's see if Brohm and Co. can pull it off.

Why bring our successful basketball team into it?

WTF? Losing without your center in the sweet 16 is more embarrassing than our football team? Getting to the national tourney is more embarrassing than giving up 48 points to OSU in the first quarter?

Our football team was a non-competitive unit until last year where they barely finished over .500. They're a work in progress and it will take a few top 50 classes to turn it around. Let's see if Brohm and Co. can pull it off.

Why bring our successful basketball team into it?

Funny you should mention Ohio State, which embarrassed us at home last season and cost us the Big Ten title. During the current millennium, football is 4-8 against OSU [.333] and was 30 seconds away from another win while basketball is 9-24 against OSU [.272] and blew the all-time series lead after decades of leading every team in Big Ten history. That’s not just embarrassing. It’s shameful.

Success isn’t just winning. It’s a matter of fulfilling goals or exceeding expectations, as opposed to underachieving … falling well short year after year.

Funny you should mention Ohio State, which embarrassed us at home last season and cost us the Big Ten title. During the current millennium, football is 4-8 against OSU [.333] and was 30 seconds away from another win while basketball is 9-24 against OSU [.272] and blew the all-time series lead after decades of leading every team in Big Ten history. That’s not just embarrassing. It’s shameful.

Success isn’t just winning. It’s a matter of fulfilling goals or exceeding expectations, as opposed to underachieving … falling well short year after year.
Yes,Purdue has topped OSU four times this century and only Penn State has beaten them more times with five victories..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT