ADVERTISEMENT

Well, it's the morning after..........

PU pit bull

All-American
Dec 4, 2011
and it's finally starting to hit me. I didn't even want to get out of bed. I hate that the season has to come to an end......and in typical gut wrenching fashion no less (not 1, but 2 overtime games)! What a season! Who knows when PU will get that far again......next season?...…..10 years from now?...……..who knows. That's always a tough pill to swallow. For me, I just like watching PU basketball, so this season was total icing. I do feel like the program took another step in the right direction though, and hope to be in the elite 8, FF, etc. sooner rather than later.
As depressed as I am, I can't imagine how the players feel. Grady, Cline, and co. are probably replaying the game over and over in their head...…"what could I have done differently....?" That's a normal reaction but bottom line is, they gave all they had. And that is what we appreciate about PU basketball! These kids are in the dumps right now, but I have no doubt that they will experience even more success in the future, at whatever they do. That's another reason why we appreciate PU basketball! These are high character young men that enter, and leave, this program.
Life goes on, as they say. And as I look outside, and see that it is snowing (ugh), I realize that it may take a couple days to get back to normal. But we'll get there. And, hey, basketball season is right around the corner LOL!!
Thank you players, especially seniors, thank you CMP, and thank you fans...…..it has been a magical season...….an unexpected season...…….a season we all can be proud of. As I said many times before.....not every fanbase can feel as proud of their team, or coach, or program like we can. We PU fans have got it pretty good in that respect. And that's what keeps me coming back year after year.

Thanks for lending me your eyes this morning my friends.

and it's finally starting to hit me. I didn't even want to get out of bed. I hate that the season has to come to an end......and in typical gut wrenching fashion no less (not 1, but 2 overtime games)! What a season! Who knows when PU will get that far again......next season?...…..10 years from now?...……..who knows. That's always a tough pill to swallow. For me, I just like watching PU basketball, so this season was total icing. I do feel like the program took another step in the right direction though, and hope to be in the elite 8, FF, etc. sooner rather than later.
As depressed as I am, I can't imagine how the players feel. Grady, Cline, and co. are probably replaying the game over and over in their head...…"what could I have done differently....?" That's a normal reaction but bottom line is, they gave all they had. And that is what we appreciate about PU basketball! These kids are in the dumps right now, but I have no doubt that they will experience even more success in the future, at whatever they do. That's another reason why we appreciate PU basketball! These are high character young men that enter, and leave, this program.
Life goes on, as they say. And as I look outside, and see that it is snowing (ugh), I realize that it may take a couple days to get back to normal. But we'll get there. And, hey, basketball season is right around the corner LOL!!
Thank you players, especially seniors, thank you CMP, and thank you fans...…..it has been a magical season...….an unexpected season...…….a season we all can be proud of. As I said many times before.....not every fanbase can feel as proud of their team, or coach, or program like we can. We PU fans have got it pretty good in that respect. And that's what keeps me coming back year after year.

Well said. I have nothing to add.

A lot of us wanted to see CMP advance one step further in the NCAAs, and he did that this year. Hopefully that (along with stepped up financial investment in the program) can lead to a shot in the arm for recruiting, and then that leads to even deeper NCAA runs in the next
decade.

Well said as always Pitt....Now as long as Duke beats Izzo today I can look at all this philosophically....:rolleyes:

Reactions: PU pit bull

I settled down in West Lafayette 21 years ago not knowing much about Purdue Univ. After attending my first football gNe (under Joe Tiller too) I was to become a lifelong, due-hard fan of The Old Gold and Black. One week prior to the 2008-09 season I had to undergo life threatening brain surgery to remove e large tumor. These kind of games take me back to that time. It hits me this way: there is no promise for next season for any one fan, but I can appreciate how every last one of those boys played like it might be their last game, ever. ‘You only die once’ Thank you to all of those who contributed to this run, and thank you seniors for leading these young men to real growth when the record was 6-5!!

Seems like ages ago when Nojel twisted his ankle in warmups of game 1. My heart went into my stomach and all of Boiler nation gasped when we heard the news. A wild roller coaster ride of emotions this tournament for sure. What a run!
And that coming on the heels of a BTT first round loss and the news of Carsens back injury!

I guess CMP didn’t hit the panic button.

Man, this season is going to be good for recruiting. We're in a good place today.

Not being argumentative here but why will this affect recruiting? This implies kids don't go to Purdue because of their lack of tournament success. Purdue has won more tournament games in the last 3 years than IU has in 14 years. These recruits were 2 when that span started. IU consistently out recruits (based on player rankings, 5 stars, etc.) Purdue though.

My point is this, I fear this will simply raise people's unrealistic expectations of the "caliber" of player Purdue should get as opposed to actually changing anything.

Not being argumentative here but why will this affect recruiting? This implies kids don't go to Purdue because of their lack of tournament success. Purdue has won more tournament games in the last 3 years than IU has in 14 years. These recruits were 2 when that span started. IU consistently out recruits (based on player rankings, 5 stars, etc.) Purdue though.

My point is this, I fear this will simply raise people's unrealistic expectations of the "caliber" of player Purdue should get as opposed to actually changing anything.

I totally disagree with you. If anything, this tournament success significantly raised the profile of the Purdue program. Matt Painter was consistently referred to by commenters as a great coach. Potential recruits saw a program that developed players beyond their incoming rankings. Recruits saw a team that played for one another and rejoiced in the success of their teammates.

Everyone knows that a Purdue degree is a very good degree. They saw that a Purdue program is a very good program. If you come to WL as a recruit, you get the best of both.

Here is why. Painter just took VA down to the wire who probably will play Duke for the title. He beat a 2 seed and nearly beat a 1. Last nights game was in all likely the best game of the tourney. With the talent we saw leave last year and for him to do what he's done this year is special. You can't live your life scared of high expectations. Never be afraid of pushing the envelope and expecting more. I honestly feel that Painter is in a place he hasn't been since he brought in the baby boilers. A time when Mizzu was calling and we were all worried he'd leave. We're back on top of the basketball world and I'm not looking back or down. I'm looking up and I encourage you to as well. Don't lay the foundation for accepting mediocrity. I don't share your fear.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

Well said. If anything, this season has me more confident that we’ll be back with another chance at the FF sooner than later. Painter continues to grow as a coach. His recruiting continues to improve - I do think he’ll start getting some more high-profile guys, but more importantly he seems to be hitting the nail on the head with guys that are a perfect fit for what he wants both in the locker room and on the court.
I think I’ve appreciated this team even more given that I live in the middle of IU country and the dysfunction that is their program and fanbase. I’m so proud of this team, Painter, and our fans. All showed up consistently.

Reactions: PU pit bull

IMO, for one reason only. Today, a teams or programs success seems to hinge on success in the tournament more than anything else. IMO, the only advantage MSU as over Purdue in hoops recruiting is they are considered a regular player (one writer labeled them a 'titan') late into the tournament. . That one selling point resonates with a lot of the elite players.

If anything, I think Purdue's exposure these past two weeks might dispel the notion that we don't showcase the great players.

I totally disagree with you. If anything, this tournament success significantly raised the profile of the Purdue program. Matt Painter was consistently referred to by commenters as a great coach. Potential recruits saw a program that developed players beyond their incoming rankings. Recruits saw a team that played for one another and rejoiced in the success of their teammates.

Everyone knows that a Purdue degree is a very good degree. They saw that a Purdue program is a very good program. If you come to WL as a recruit, you get the best of both.
I think it allows Painter the opportunity to close on more of the players he wants for the/his system. Nobody says those players will be 5 star blue chips, though. Chance are the majority won't be.

Reactions: euchre13
ADVERTISEMENT