ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Mr. Gibbs

Historically, Purdue athletics was self-funded with sports revenue. Cordova tapped into the revenue to fund pet projects, all the while increasing tuition much higher than inflation rate and denying Indiana residents admission in favor of foreign students who pay >2X tuition.
….and don’t forget that Cordova’s husband had a made up, bullshit job where he was paid like 300k yearly to do absolutely nothing.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I think that misses the point. Purdue as a team gets assists on about 60% of its made field goals and 88% of its made three point shots. Purdue is a very good passing team. You don’t really want every basket to be assisted because it is important to be scoring in a variety of ways. Also, Painter likes a lot of ball reversals before getting a shot. IT and Hunter move the ball early in the possession which is what Painter wants. Carr historically is the kind of player who tries to break down the defense on his own and that is rarely going to be as hard to defend as the offense that Purdue runs. Maybe he’s being used differently at Texas, but what I saw at Minnesota is not what Purdue needs in its offense.
Finally, a legit conversation…. My argument would be that against Carr, teams have to defend both dribble penetration (which always seems to kill Purdue) while also trying to defend the 3 point line.
If you have a guy who can break down the D and dribble penetrate, it forces help D, which then gets the D into rotations and that’s what frees up shooters or your bigs underneath.
Carr and Ivey would have been the best backcourt tandem in the country. But alas…

Finally, a legit conversation…. My argument would be that against Carr, teams have to defend both dribble penetration (which always seems to kill Purdue) while also trying to defend the 3 point line.
If you have a guy who can break down the D and dribble penetrate, it forces help D, which then gets the D into rotations and that’s what frees up shooters or your bigs underneath.
Carr and Ivey would have been the best backcourt tandem in the country. But alas…
I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think that Purdue is already better at creating good scoring opportunities than possibly any team in the country, as the offense is constructed. The primary scoring options are at the 2, 3, and especially 5, so having high efficiency, space creating, role players at the 1 and 4 is ideal.

Regardless, I see your point and it makes logical sense. We just have different views about how it would play out in practice, but we will never know for sure.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone who reads this message board.

I haven’t seen video of Smith dunking but you can see from the videos that are out there that he can from some of his rebounds and putbacks. However, I remember seeing one of LewJacks AAU videos where he two handed an inbound pass and then he maybe had one in-game dunk during his entire career.
I just posted a clip from his game last night first he dunks it after one of his 9 steals had 2 dunks in the first game as well. twitter oldboiler52 also of note he is now a legit contender for MR. Basketball as per the Indy Star

His dad says 38 follow me on twitter I have seen countless dunks and two goal tending calls kid can fly
I’m not on Twitter. Someone did post video of him dunking, so now I agree, he can dunk. Which is great, I didn’t believe it until I saw it.

I’m not on Twitter. Someone did post video of him dunking, so now I agree, he can dunk. Which is great, I didn’t believe it until I saw it.
Proclaims Marcus Carr would have been a great addition to Purdue basketball team, based on innuendo, without having proof that it really would be a good thing. Doesn't believe Smith can dunk until he actually sees irrefutable evidence for himself...

Classic...

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
Proclaims Marcus Carr would have been a great addition to Purdue basketball team, based on innuendo, without having proof that it really would be a good thing. Doesn't believe Smith can dunk until he actually sees irrefutable evidence for himself...

Classic...
Lenny is a walking contradiction. I'm not even positive he understands how much he is mocked on here.

He's our own version of courtsense.

Classic...
Do you have proof Carr wouldn’t have been a great addition?
All I know is he would have been a major upgrade over IT and Hunter. That’s not debatable.

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
Lenny is a walking contradiction. I'm not even positive he understands how much he is mocked on here.

He's our own version of courtsense.
BBQ thinks people on an internet chat board care. Fascinating….

Classic...
Carr only had 20 against West Virginia the other night. He stinks.

Do you have proof Carr wouldn’t have been a great addition?
All I know is he would have been a major upgrade over IT and Hunter. That’s not debatable.

princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.gif

• Love
Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
No, I've watched his videos. Nothing jumped out at me and said "Purdue absolutely needs this kid". To me, he looks like an undersized sg/pg, with good court vision, a nice 3 pt stroke, plays hard. There's a ton of those types of players playing IN high school basketball.
Why do you think he only had offers from App St, Buffalo and Montana? Is he really that much of a hidden gem?
Maybe he is, but when coaches jobs literally depend on who they recruit and no P5 program was willing to take a change on him, that has to be taken into consideration.
As I said, maybe he'll develop into a solid contributor or maybe he'll be a solid practice player since there's only so much playing time available.
I’m glad you don’t recruit for a living or else we wouldn’t have Braden.

In his defense, he was excited about the Ivey commitment.
His first reaction was negative because of the low rating and no other major offers. It was his knee-jerk reaction for all Painter recruits. Then someone posted vidoe of Ivey embarrassing a 5-star player in an AAU game. Then he became a fan. Someone also had to post video of Smith dunking before he would believe it.

Reactions: pboiler18
Or Edey, likely 2X national POY.

And we would not have had Carsen Edwards (too small, low rank) or Jaden Ivey (low rank, no other major offers).
I think you're confusing Edwards and Ivey with my lack of enthusiasm for Morton's commitment.

But answer me this, if Purdue, with a 2X NPOY player doesn't get past the S16 during his entire career, what's that say?

His first reaction was negative because of the low rating and no other major offers. It was his knee-jerk reaction for all Painter recruits. Then someone posted vidoe of Ivey embarrassing a 5-star player in an AAU game. Then he became a fan. Someone also had to post video of Smith dunking before he would believe it.
You go Lil Andy. Unfortunately for you, there are posters on here who have been around a lot longer than you and have a better memory.

Gibbs is definitely not living up to his hype
After see her social media meltdowns, it gives us a lack of appreciation for what we had with Eastern's mom. His mom at lease recognized that you couldn't say anything you want on boards or X or Facebook, but Gibbs mom just doesn't give AF and is just bombing bridges.

Reactions: pboiler18
100% true. I didn’t want Smith. He’s been much better than expected. Hope he has a better March than last year against FDu.
That’s an understatement - Smith is the engine that runs the entire offense. He’s averaging 12 points, 5 rebounds and 7 assists per game. Saw somewhere he’s in Magic Johnson territory with those numbers in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Schnelk
That’s an understatement - Smith is the engine that runs the entire offense. He’s averaging 12 points, 5 rebounds and 7 assists per game. Saw somewhere he’s in Magic Johnson territory with those numbers in the Big Ten.
They showed the graphic on Saturday of smith, magic and Denzel Valentine averaging that. Hope smith can get his shooting back!

Reactions: Schnelk
After see her social media meltdowns, it gives us a lack of appreciation for what we had with Eastern's mom. His mom at lease recognized that you couldn't say anything you want on boards or X or Facebook, but Gibbs mom just doesn't give AF and is just bombing bridges.
April deleted her X account. Major meltdown.

What she just posted on Facebook:

Robin April

40m • G

Uh oh, I have another opinion! The AD WHITMAN( I think is his name) over @ U of Illinois., he handled the TSJ bullshit allegations brilliantly! I didn't understand his

"policy" at first, but very clever and tactile strategy getting liability off the University!

Though it was drawn out, it was The CORRECT WAY! I respect the way in which he represented the University as well as AMERICANS AND OUR RIGHTS AS AMERICANS! So I'm sorry if I called you an asshole Mr Whitman, i was wrong, I can admit! © I was in the moment and let down before! But assumptions are like assholes (from one asshole to another?)i was/am still and will forever be a work in progress! Please forgive me

I think you're confusing Edwards and Ivey with my lack of enthusiasm for Morton's commitment.

But answer me this, if Purdue, with a 2X NPOY player doesn't get past the S16 during his entire career, what's that say?
Gee. I don't know what it says. Are you sticking to your opinion that Edey is another Matt ten Dam?

You go Lil Andy. Unfortunately for you, there are posters on here who have been around a lot longer than you and have a better memory.
Lol. I have been on this board since it started, and have watched you use the same whiny complaints about Purdue recruits from the day you joined. Like Ms. Gibbs, you went too far and were banned. But you came back.

Your own meltdown after the NCAA tournament wasn't so different from Ms. Gibbs, was it?

It will say that it is time to take a break from this message board.

In the mean time, Painter has built the strongest program in the Big Ten. That’s no small accomplishment given where the program was 10 seasons ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT