ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Mr. Gibbs

Looks like he has some sauce to his game.
not to be a debbie downer but why do we constantly reference "sauce" from a failed recruit/player? Johnson was essentially worthless yet we continue reference the "sauce" he was to bring. Lets let that go. Its like constantly saying Nojel would have been in the NBA had painter used him right...its a distant memory.

not to be a debbie downer but why do we constantly reference "sauce" from a failed recruit/player? Johnson was essentially worthless yet we continue reference the "sauce" he was to bring. Lets let that go. Its like constantly saying Nojel would have been in the NBA had painter used him right...its a distant memory.
There's a little more to the history.

Painter started Ronnie Johnson as a freshman and sophomore, basically letting him play his game until it was so obviously not working. Johnson left (without talking to Painter) to play for Kelvin Sampson at Houston because Painter "wouldn't let him play his game". When Painter got a commitment from highly regarded CJ Walker, Johnson publicly messaged him something to the effect that he had too much sauce to his game for Purdue. Ronnie ended up playing at Houston, and then Auburn, not averaging in double figures at either school. His scoring averages his junior and senior years at those schools were below his average his freshman year at Purdue. By the way, CJ Walker decommitted from Purdue when his dad got it into his head that he could do better than Purdue.

Irony can be a funny thing. Yeah, we should forgive, but it doesn't mean we'll forget. :) I guarantee Painter hasn't forgotten, as he has repeatedly spoken about recruiting players that are a good fit. A poor fit can poison a program, even after they are gone.

There's a little more to the history.

Painter started Ronnie Johnson as a freshman and sophomore, basically letting him play his game until it was so obviously not working. Johnson left (without talking to Painter) to play for Kelvin Sampson at Houston because Painter "wouldn't let him play his game". When Painter got a commitment from highly regarded CJ Walker, Johnson publicly messaged him something to the effect that he had too much sauce to his game for Purdue. Ronnie ended up playing at Houston, and then Auburn, not averaging in double figures at either school. His scoring averages his junior and senior years at those schools were below his average his freshman year at Purdue. By the way, CJ Walker decommitted from Purdue when his dad got it into his head that he could do better than Purdue.

Irony can be a funny thing. Yeah, we should forgive, but it doesn't mean we'll forget. :) I guarantee Painter hasn't forgotten, as he has repeatedly spoken about recruiting players that are a good fit. A poor fit can poison a program, even after they are gone.
Walker’s de-commitment opened the door for Carsen Edwards. Ironically, Carsen had more sauce in his game than Ronnie could even dream of and Painter showcased it. It turned out just fine in the end.

Because its fun, and that's part of a message board. It's nice to see a top 30 recruit come here as PG.

Holy cow what a dynasty Painter is building. Is it too early to extend this contract?
I just spread out that sheet someone else posted with the eligibility grid!!! Good GAWD almighty .... give us another 4 (seems to always be our current need) and a major 5 in 23-24 so they'll be ready for 24-25 and Katie bar the door!

Holy cow what a dynasty Painter is building. Is it too early to extend this contract?
I can't help but wonder how rredshirting is going to work with this group ... if it works the way I am "ass-u-ming", Painter has a strategic plan thru '25-'26 ... daumn!

Reactions: BBG
Walker’s de-commitment opened the door for Carsen Edwards. Ironically, Carsen had more sauce in his game than Ronnie could even dream of and Painter showcased it. It turned out just fine in the end.
Excellent catch.

Ronnie's 2 years were a continuous string of WTF moments. But you are correct. It worked out very well getting Carsen and Painter changing his recruiting focus.

Excellent catch.

Ronnie's 2 years were a continuous string of WTF moments. But you are correct. It worked out very well getting Carsen and Painter changing his recruiting focus.
Exactly. CJ Walker had a good-but-not great career at Florida State and OSU. Carsen Edwards was a two-time All-B1G and an All American.

Rightly or wrongly, Ronnie Johnson is going to be the butt of sauce jokes among Purdue fans for a long time. He made that bed. His brother, Terone, on the other hand, was a full-on Boilermaker. Never had confidence at the free throw line, but he was a true Boiler.

Exactly. CJ Walker had a good-but-not great career at Florida State and OSU. Carsen Edwards was a two-time All-B1G and an All American.

Rightly or wrongly, Ronnie Johnson is going to be the butt of sauce jokes among Purdue fans for a long time. He made that bed. His brother, Terone, on the other hand, was a full-on Boilermaker. Never had confidence at the free throw line, but he was a true Boiler.
Loved Terone. A Boiler through and through. I still wish he'd had a better team around him. Those were the days when recruiting was extremely limited by the Purdue administration.

In the end, all they want is a chance to play in the NBA. I think the fact Carsen was a lower recruit than both but Painter coached Edwards to get drafted. He is out of the NBA now, but Painter got them.

I think this fact is why we are seeing Painter getting so many recruits. He is getting players that were not on the NBA radar into the NBA 2 or 3 years later. Coming out for example, Ivey was rated 89 bt 247. That is nowhere near NBA level, but his hardwork and Painters coaching and I vey will get drafted in the lottery.

Exciting times.

I can't help but wonder how rredshirting is going to work with this group ... if it works the way I am "ass-u-ming", Painter has a strategic plan thru '25-'26 ... daumn!
I haven’t seen a recent scholarship grid has it been posted recently? Losing track of what year each of the recruits are.

I’d much rather have a player with sauce who knows how to use it than a player with no sauce to begin with. Gibbs has serious sauce.

Reactions: Emartin70287
Loved Terone. A Boiler through and through. I still wish he'd had a better team around him. Those were the days when recruiting was extremely limited by the Purdue administration.
How was recruiting extremely limited by the PU admin? Was it limiting the funds for recruiting? Increased academic requirements? I did not realize there were limitations being applied to recruiting then.

I’d much rather have a player with sauce who knows how to use it than a player with no sauce to begin with. Gibbs has serious sauce.
I agree, but serious question - does DGL meet your guard criteria and do you give Painter props for recruiting him?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Any 4-5* getting recruited by P5 basketball powers fits the criteria.
So stars only? I've seen DGL listed anywhere at 160 - 170 (same weight as Smith) and you've said he is too small. I guess you like Landers for IU?

So stars only? I've seen DGL listed anywhere at 160 - 170 (same weight as Smith) and you've said he is too small. I guess you like Landers for IU?
Yeh, Allen Iverson only weighed 170 also.
How many stars does smith have? What schools were recruiting him?
Have you seen Gibbs play?

Isnt it really hard for you to keep track of your moving goalposts in every thread? And also getting owned in virtually every thread as well?
No. I like highly recruited 4-5 stars 6’1 guys who can rebound slam.
not a fan of 5’9 150 guys with 1-2 stars, not recruited who may not be able to touch the rim.

Any 4-5* getting recruited by P5 basketball powers fits the criteria.
When Painter started recruiting Carsen Edwards and Ivey they were 3-stars and had few major offers. And you let us know about it, so in this case you are being consistent, But then when you saw how good they were and their ratings improved, revisionist history commenced. You don't remember criticizing the offers and were bought in 100% the entire time. o_O

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT