ADVERTISEMENT

Week Number 4; What to Expect

Purdue0034

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 11, 2011
Central Florida
I am thinking Blough should be the starter against Boston College. Hopefully Blough maintains the hot hand and does not get all conservative again as in other games earlier in the year. Would love to see a shootout this weekend, but with Purdue coming out on top for a change. So is Boston College the real deal? I was a bit surprised they were ranked in the Top 25. Are they better than Missouri? We really need to pull off the upset this weekend if we have any chance at salvaging our season. Basketball is still too far away to give up on football just yet! Boiler Up!

Play balls out, be aggressive on defense, nothing to lose for Purdue. Young guys getting better with experience, will show up soon on the field

Do we know this for a fact? Wake Forest went for 34 points and 512 yards against them last week. Their other two oppenents were awful.

We put up 570 yards in the air against mizzou with a QB who had less than 200 yards in the prior two games.

We put up 570 yards in the air against mizzou with a QB who had less than 200 yards in the prior two games.
On the other hand, prior to being exposed by Purdue, the Mizzou defense had given up only 525 yards and 27 points in their first two games combined. Similar to what BC did in their first two games prior to playing Wake.
Any FBS team would be hard pressed to be worse on defense than Mizzou, but its hard for me to see BC as "much better" based on the limited bodies of work. Vegas currently has Purdue scoring 29.5 points in this one, which is kind of high for an 0-3 team that is averaging 27.7 ppg.

On the other hand, prior to being exposed by Purdue, the Mizzou defense had given up only 525 yards and 27 points in their first two games combined. Similar to what BC did in their first two games prior to playing Wake.
Any FBS team would be hard pressed to be worse on defense than Mizzou, but its hard for me to see BC as "much better" based on the limited bodies of work. Vegas currently has Purdue scoring 29.5 points in this one, which is kind of high for an 0-3 team that is averaging 27.7 ppg.
They played an FCS team and Wyoming

Wake did have to run 109 plays to get their 500 yards, but their QB is a true freshman that went 20-45. Control #11 at DE and we have a chance to do to BC what we did to Missouri. My guess is we have more balance on offense this week, but if Blough plays the same way this weekend I don't care if we run the ball at all.

Reactions: bmanning2000
What about bc offense? I heard they are good at running?
BC runs the ball very well, but can also use play action pass well and hit you over the top if you sell out on the run.

Fun facts: Their scoring drives against Wake were 3 plays, 4 plays, 3 plays, 8 plays, 5 plays, and 6 plays. Every single TD was scored from OUTSIDE the redzone. This is a team that is hunting for the big play and might lack the discipline/execution to carry out 10 or 15 play scoring drives. Unfortunately, we've given up quite a few big plays through 3 games.

IMO we need to make them execute long error-free drives and tighten up inside the 20's (bend but don't break). A game where we give up 400 yards but <30 points would be a relative success. If we can do that I'm not too worried about the offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summy1
Thought I'd jump in to give a BC fan's perspective on our team.

Offense - Power run game that uses the play action pass for big hitters. Also uses hurry up tempo, which is different than most power offenses.

O-Line:
This is the bread-and-butter for this team. One of the best lines in the country, and we brought back all of our starters from last season. They're a deep and experienced group with multiple guys who will play on Sunday. Name to keep an eye on would be Chris Lindstrom.

QB: Anthony Brown is a RS So who started last season until he tore his ACL near the end of the year. He's said to be 100% healthy and has looked great thus far. He struggled a lot with his accuracy last year but has improved immensely. Still, he's at his best when the play-action game is rolling... get him behind in down and distance and he may begin to struggle.

RB: Strong argument for the best running back in the country. AJ Dillon is a 6'0 245 lb monster with great power and speed. He ran for nearly 1600 yards last season as a true freshman, and he's worked this summer on becoming an every down back. Legit Heisman candidate and the ACC's preseason player of the year.

WR: Probably the best group of WRs that BC has had in a while... Kobay White has proven to be a deep threat alongside seniors Jeff Smith and Mike Walker. They're not one of the elite units in the ACC, but they're athletic and talented enough to beat secondaries in one-on-one situations when the play action calls for it.

TE: Tommy Sweeney is a preseason All-ACC performer and headlines a large group of TEs. Addazio likes to use 2 and sometimes 3 tight-ends which allows for him to have power and spread looks from the same personnel group.

Defense - Will run a lot of man-to-man and mix exotic blitz packages to disrupt QB.

D-Line: DE Wyatt Ray had 4 sacks against Wake Forest, but the guy opposite him, Zach Allen, is still the danger-man on the line. He's 6'5 285 and racked up 100 tackles last season. He's widely considered a first round pick in next year's draft. At DT, BC is a bit thin... the line depth isn't great and it was clear that they were gassed in the later stages of the Wake game. Run defense is a question mark.

LB:
What was thought to be a strength coming into the season has been a bit disappointing so far. It's a pretty deep group, due to injuries from last season, but they've been just okay in run support and mediocre in pass coverage. Guy to keep an eye on would be Connor Strachan, who was preseason All-ACC last year, but was lost to injury for the whole season.

DB: The DBs are led by seniors Lukas Denis and Will Harris. Both were put on preseason All-America teams, and they make up one of the strongest parts of the Eagles' defense. Hamp Cheevers is always looking to make a big play (almost to a fault), and has wreaked havoc so far this season. Torres starts opposite of him, but will sometimes play the slot receiver due to his size. This unit is super opportunistic and is great at coming up with turnovers.

Special Teams
It's been a bit of a mess this year. Colton Lichtenberg was the starter coming into the season at kicker, but was out for the game vs. Wake. True freshman John Tessitore, son of Joe, started in his place and has missed 2 XPs this year. Neither kicker has attempted a field goal this season, though this has been a pain point for BC for years.

So far, BC has had 3 (THREE!) punts blocked for touchdowns this year. I still don't quite get how that happens, but it did. Special Teams almost single-handedly gave Wake that game as we allowed a blocked punt to be returned for a TD and Mike Walker (often sure-handed) fumbled a punt inside the 15 yard line.

This should be a pretty good overview for what to expect from BC.

Wake did have to run 109 plays to get their 500 yards, but their QB is a true freshman that went 20-45. Control #11 at DE and we have a chance to do to BC what we did to Missouri. My guess is we have more balance on offense this week, but if Blough plays the same way this weekend I don't care if we run the ball at all.
I do. I love passing yardage, however, get the running game going and control the clock. Putting your younger defense out time and again while playing basketball on grass does not bode well deep into the game. I was concerned that we didn't use up much of the clock at the end of the game last weekend. Was able to only watch last 12 minutes of last weekends game due to family commitment. We were chucking it around as it seemed we were playing catch up. Will watch the rest of it to affirm my suspicion, but Purdue must get more balance run established to keep opposing QB's like Locke or BC's QB Anthony Brown from unloading on us.
Must also establish the run against a good running team to keep them from grinding at us. I feel BC is ripe for the picking if we can pass to setup the run or vice versa, just don't abandon the run.

For a few highlights that I've seen from BC, contain #2 R.B. AJ Jones, # 9 WR Kobay White and pressure #13 QB Anthony Brown. BC's special teams have had punt blocks and muffed punt coverage. #4 DB Hamp Cheevers appears to want to jump routes... one pump fake to our WR Sparks and then gash them. Against Holy Cross it was Holy Cow! BC looked great, but HC was just terrible.

I see Purdue's game with BC being something along the lines of Wake Forest. WF ran for 298 yards, passed for 214 and the difference was 1 extra turnover by WF (2) vs. BC (1). WF had 27 first downs to BC 19 and WF edged the game clock management of 30:27 to BC at 29:33. Each team had the same amount of penalty yardage at 35 yrds.

Keep the mental mistakes down, control the clock, and make defensive improvements and not only can we be in the game, but beat them. If we abandon the run (i.e. like last week 42 yards), we'll lose the clock control like we did against Missouri. Purdue 28:04 vs Missouri 31:56. That 4 minutes additional time is critical on our young defense.

My final take, Purdue 38 BC 31 as we put together a more complete game. Should be another exciting game.

Yeah, scoring TDs sucks. Let's just run the ball, even if we gain only 1.5 yards per RB carry. That way our defense can get more rest. Doesn't matter if we don't score, our defense that can't stop anyone will be better rested.

Yeah, scoring TDs sucks. Let's just run the ball, even if we gain only 1.5 yards per RB carry. That way our defense can get more rest. Doesn't matter if we don't score, our defense that can't stop anyone will be better rested.

First rule of thumb: You take what your opponent gives you.

If they're going to let you run 6 plays off L tackle, you take it. If they stack the box, you throw it.

Offense - Power run game that uses the play action pass for big hitters. Also uses hurry up tempo, which is different than most power offenses.

O-Line:
This is the bread-and-butter for this team. One of the best lines in the country, and we brought back all of our starters from last season. They're a deep and experienced group with multiple guys who will play on Sunday. Name to keep an eye on would be Chris Lindstrom.

QB: Anthony Brown is a RS So who started last season until he tore his ACL near the end of the year. He's said to be 100% healthy and has looked great thus far. He struggled a lot with his accuracy last year but has improved immensely. Still, he's at his best when the play-action game is rolling... get him behind in down and distance and he may begin to struggle.

RB: Strong argument for the best running back in the country. AJ Dillon is a 6'0 245 lb monster with great power and speed. He ran for nearly 1600 yards last season as a true freshman, and he's worked this summer on becoming an every down back. Legit Heisman candidate and the ACC's preseason player of the year.

WR: Probably the best group of WRs that BC has had in a while... Kobay White has proven to be a deep threat alongside seniors Jeff Smith and Mike Walker. They're not one of the elite units in the ACC, but they're athletic and talented enough to beat secondaries in one-on-one situations when the play action calls for it.

TE: Tommy Sweeney is a preseason All-ACC performer and headlines a large group of TEs. Addazio likes to use 2 and sometimes 3 tight-ends which allows for him to have power and spread looks from the same personnel group.

Defense - Will run a lot of man-to-man and mix exotic blitz packages to disrupt QB.

D-Line: DE Wyatt Ray had 4 sacks against Wake Forest, but the guy opposite him, Zach Allen, is still the danger-man on the line. He's 6'5 285 and racked up 100 tackles last season. He's widely considered a first round pick in next year's draft. At DT, BC is a bit thin... the line depth isn't great and it was clear that they were gassed in the later stages of the Wake game. Run defense is a question mark.

LB:
What was thought to be a strength coming into the season has been a bit disappointing so far. It's a pretty deep group, due to injuries from last season, but they've been just okay in run support and mediocre in pass coverage. Guy to keep an eye on would be Connor Strachan, who was preseason All-ACC last year, but was lost to injury for the whole season.

DB: The DBs are led by seniors Lukas Denis and Will Harris. Both were put on preseason All-America teams, and they make up one of the strongest parts of the Eagles' defense. Hamp Cheevers is always looking to make a big play (almost to a fault), and has wreaked havoc so far this season. Torres starts opposite of him, but will sometimes play the slot receiver due to his size. This unit is super opportunistic and is great at coming up with turnovers.

Special Teams
It's been a bit of a mess this year. Colton Lichtenberg was the starter coming into the season at kicker, but was out for the game vs. Wake. True freshman John Tessitore, son of Joe, started in his place and has missed 2 XPs this year. Neither kicker has attempted a field goal this season, though this has been a pain point for BC for years.

So far, BC has had 3 (THREE!) punts blocked for touchdowns this year. I still don't quite get how that happens, but it did. Special Teams almost single-handedly gave Wake that game as we allowed a blocked punt to be returned for a TD and Mike Walker (often sure-handed) fumbled a punt inside the 15 yard line.

Thank you for this. Very thorough. As a New Englander I’m looking forward to playing up here in two years. Both games should be fun.

My expectation for week 4? Purdue to win the game.

Don't care how that happens, but I suspect that it will take a more balanced than what we've seen the past two weeks. On the other hand 300+ rushing yards against EMU and 500+ passing against Mizzou should give BC plenty to think about.

O-Line:

LB:

Special Teams

So your telling me we have a chance ha ha

Love passing and love the yardage that comes with it. It is exciting and fun to watch. However, no running game = No clock control. No clock control and it gets harder to win the game period. End of Story.
Look at history of Drew Brees at Purdue. He had games of high 450+ yard games where we lost on multiple occasions. I can only think of Minnesota & MSU games his Jr. year where we were over 500 yards and won.
Look no further than Purdue last game 572 yards = Lost. Why? Missouri rushed for 233 yards and controlled the clock nearly 4 minutes longer than Purdue.
Look no further than Drew Brees New Orleans vs. Tampa Bay. Drew had 432 yards passing, 3 TD's, 0 Int and lost. Why? TB had 112 yards rushing to NO 43 yards. Time of possession 32:09 TB to 27:51 NO.
If you abandon the run especially in college, you stop the clock quite a bit on passing plays. Running and helping to move the chains & the clock becomes your friend and the enemy of your opponent.
I'm not opposed to using passing at all. Even high percentage passes i.e. like roll outs, screens, shuffle pass, slants, etc to keep the clock running favors Purdue not hurts us. Take some shots on 2nd or 3rd and short if down, distance and field position favors Purdue, but run the ball and keep clock control.
This is common sense which is why it puzzles me to see how we did not run much at all against Missouri. We've got the backs to do it. Gameplan said to throw it. It was fun for 572 yards, but we lost. Rinse and repeat with Boston College and they'll likely whip us good. We better go fist to cuff in the trenches and grind the yards out or we will get spanked again.
I think we will run the ball more, I also think we can win 38-31.

One other rhetorical question: Do you want your younger defense out there longer than it has to be? If the answer is no, then run the ball. It is known that our Offense has to carry the load this year vs our younger & inexperienced Defense.

Last edited:
Love passing and love the yardage that comes with it. It is exciting and fun to watch. However, no running game = No clock control. No clock control and it gets harder to win the game period. End of Story.
Look at history of Drew Brees at Purdue. He had games of high 450+ yard games where we lost on multiple occasions. I can only think of Minnesota & MSU games his Jr. year where we were over 500 yards and won.
Look no further than Purdue last game 572 yards = Lost. Why? Missouri rushed for 233 yards and controlled the clock nearly 4 minutes longer than Purdue.
Look no further than Drew Brees New Orleans vs. Tampa Bay. Drew had 432 yards passing, 3 TD's, 0 Int and lost. Why? TB had 112 yards rushing to NO 43 yards. Time of possession 32:09 TB to 27:51 NO.
If you abandon the run especially in college, you stop the clock quite a bit on passing plays. Running and helping to move the chains & the clock becomes your friend and the enemy of your opponent.
I'm not opposed to using passing at all. Even high percentage passes i.e. like roll outs, screens, shuffle pass, slants, etc to keep the clock running favors Purdue not hurts us. Take some shots on 2nd or 3rd and short if down, distance and field position favors Purdue, but run the ball and keep clock control.
This is common sense which is why it puzzles me to see how we did not run much at all against Missouri. We've got the backs to do it. Gameplan said to throw it. It was fun for 572 yards, but we lost. Rinse and repeat with Boston College and they'll likely whip us good. We better go fist to cuff in the trenches and grind the yards out or we will get spanked again.
I think we will run the ball more, I also think we can win 38-31.

One other rhetorical question: Do you want your younger defense out there longer than it has to be? If the answer is no, then run the ball. It is known that our Offense has to carry the load this year vs our younger & inexperienced Defense.

Running the ball well doesn't equate to winning games! And Missouri's game plan was to take away our running game, CJB even said that. And after watching Purdue's offense with Blough at QB that was the prudent thing to do. So why run the ball?

Nebraska lost while controlling more clock and running 14 more times than Troy. I can do it too.

Winning leads to running the ball, not the other way around. Generally winning requires the defense to stop the other team's offense more than 3 times. We ran the ball plenty well against EMU, lost. Should we have run it more?

I fully understand the benefit of ball-control offense. But when we had run the ball for a whole 1.5yards per RB attempt or so, I am ok with only trying it 10 times. Its obviously not working.

What if ten attempts is too small a sample? What if it isn't? And we run the ball 10 more times with the same results. Then we wasted 10 plays, essentially. Our defense needs points from our offense more than "ball-control." Because so far our defense has let us down every game with a chance to make a stop and have failed all 3 games.

This game, like the rest of the season, will go as our defense goes. Our offense is good but has to be "perfect" essentially for us to be in games or winning and that is not a recipe for a successful season or game even.

I don't know what Holt can do differently because we lost a lot on D and the D keeps having mental lapses that result in penalties. But sooner or later the offense will not be able to keep up and the defense will need to get some stops.

I think that is why I am not all that tore up about the missed TD call last game. I fully expect that if whizzooo needed a touchdown instead of a field goal, they would of gotten it.

I also don't expect Blough to have another record breaking day because that just can't keep happening, something on defense has to change.

Running the ball well doesn't equate to winning games! And Missouri's game plan was to take away our running game, CJB even said that. And after watching Purdue's offense with Blough at QB that was the prudent thing to do. So why run the ball?

Nebraska lost while controlling more clock and running 14 more times than Troy. I can do it too.

Winning leads to running the ball, not the other way around. Generally winning requires the defense to stop the other team's offense more than 3 times. We ran the ball plenty well against EMU, lost. Should we have run it more?

I fully understand the benefit of ball-control offense. But when we had run the ball for a whole 1.5yards per RB attempt or so, I am ok with only trying it 10 times. Its obviously not working.

What if ten attempts is too small a sample? What if it isn't? And we run the ball 10 more times with the same results. Then we wasted 10 plays, essentially. Our defense needs points from our offense more than "ball-control." Because so far our defense has let us down every game with a chance to make a stop and have failed all 3 games.
I see your point. Because you can control the clock and have more possessions but you can also have more turnovers. And we are not creating turnovers on defense so I understand what you mean. I think for us to just comes down to continue to work on the things that this team is supposed to deliver on with this coaching staff. A potent offense and and aggressive defense that finds its identity and can create turnovers. They are young once they figure that out they’ll know it for I see your point. Because you can control the clock and have more possessions but you can also have more turnovers. And we are not creating turnovers on defense so I understand what you mean. I think for us to just comes down to continue to work on the things that this team is supposed to deliver on with this coaching staff. A potent offense and and aggressive defense that finds its identity and can create turnovers. They are young once they figure that out they’ll know it for a long time

Agree to disagree. I'll say I love passing and yardage that comes with it, but never give up or abandon the run, defense comes back on the field too soon & too often.

Agree to disagree. I'll say I love passing and yardage that comes with it, but never give up or abandon the run, defense comes back on the field too soon & too often.
If you are moving the ball with the passing game, the defense gets the same amount of rest regardless of clock time. Not getting first downs would have been much more detrimental to fatigue of the defense.

Note how Mizzou waltzed down the field on their first possession of the second half after our defense had about 45 minutes of rest from the last possession of the first half through our first 15 play possession of the second half. Fatigue wasn't the issue.

If you are moving the ball with the passing game, the defense gets the same amount of rest regardless of clock time. Not getting first downs would have been much more detrimental to fatigue of the defense.

Note how Mizzou waltzed down the field on their first possession of the second half after our defense had about 45 minutes of rest from the last possession of the first half through our first 15 play possession of the second half. Fatigue wasn't the issue.
Our last possession we moved it down to red zone with too much time on the clock, got ripped off by refs (my bias take...I know), then settled for a tie with way too much time. Grind it down exactly what happened to us, then we'd have momentum in O.T. I get it. I love passing and yardage as I've said before and I know that it is Purdue's identity, yet clock Mgt is better thru the use of running vs. passing and we've paid for it this season. It is time to put the game on the back of the O-Line and RB's if the game is close at hand to keep the ball out of B.C.'s hand. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT